• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 Limited Edition Silver Eagle Proof Set posted by freerider41042

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Why has this slot been taken away?

A few weeks ago, I was looking at my Silver Eagle collection and noticed a slot for a 2014 Limited Edition Proof Eagle. I was intrigued as I had not heard of the set before. I went to the US Mint website, and, lo and behold, there it was listed.

I read that it was limited to only 50,000 sets and was available so I ordered one. I then went on an exhaustive search to find an NGC graded set, which I did.

I received it and came to the website to enter it in my collection and the slot was no longer there. What gives?

Is this not what coin collecting is about? To get the rarities? According to Ali E. on the Chat Boards "Due to the fact that the 2014 LIMITED EDITION SET coins are difficult to obtain, they have no separate slots in the Registry.

These coins are eligible in the Registry anywhere where a Proof American Eagle Silver Dollar, Kennedy Half-Dollar, America the Beautiful Quarters and Roosevelt Dime may be eligible. Thank you. "

What the purpose of the 2000 Millenium Set? It has a slot. How about the 20th and 25th Anniversary Sets? They have slots. They all have coins that could be gotten elsewhere, yet their rarity is because they were part of a special set.

There is a slot for a coin I have yet to find (2015(S) MS Silver Eagle), are there any graded? Yet, not one for the 2014 Limited Edition.

Why should I go to the expense of having my unopened set sent to you for grading if it'll mean nothing?

Just my 2 cents worth. Any comments are welcome.

16619.JPG

See more journals by freerider41042

I agree with you on this. If there is not going to be slots for this set then they need to remove the other sets too.

If you are going to have a varieties listing, include all of them. Doesn't matter though, Somehow I have ended up with a full 8 coin PF69 2014 Limited Edition Set and an unopened from the Mint set also out of the deal. If they are that hard to find (PCGS has several) whereas I like the look of NGC holders better. That means this NGC set and unopened set should be worth something a decade or so from now.

It's a special set the US Mint put out this year even though it has 2014 coins in it. I realize the coins are not specially minted or unique to this set, but the packaging/presentation is only limited to 50,000 sets. My issue is, why is there not a slot for it? The 2000 Millenium Set has no unique coins yet it has a slot. There is a slot for a non-existent coin (2015(s) MS Silver Eagle) but not one for a coin which does exist in a set form. Maybe, it's just me.

This is just a suggestion from the peanut gallery. I have, in the past, had slots added in by simply calling NGC and they 'got right on it'.

Perhaps a mistake has been made by the editors of the registry and or 'slots'.

I strongly suggest that you call NGC and ferret out the proper party. I bet your slots will be reinstated.

I have had coins graded in the past where no slot existed, and they made one.

Sometimes it takes a while for them to catch an error or add in a new slot.

Just a thought. I feel for you. I am constantly frustrated by something. It comes from doing something with your life. I am proud of my frustrations. HAHA

GL

Capt. Brian

they already hsd a slot and removed it after i went on a search for the coins. maybe i will call them. never have tried before. I'm just very proud of what i have built and want them all tp be included.

Ah, I missed the 50,000 amongst the rest. Is it still limited if there are only 49,999 buyers?

:)

A Silver Eagle set is one of the most popular sets in the NGC Registry. Many people are attracted to it because it is a set that can be completed without spending tons of money. The top sets are mostly 70's, but most collectors have some 69's in their sets. Now you want to include a 2014 Limited issue coin. A rare coin? Not really - a rare label, yes. What about the 2012, 2013, and 2015 Limited issue Eagles? Are the Eagle collectors going to find these in their Registry sets some day? All the Eagle collectors I know are turned off by this. I would suggest going with a custom set with all the Limited issue Eagles and leave the Eagle sets alone.

"Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State and Proof (Incl. Varieties)",, is the name of the set type. I have a 100% collection. I want to keep it that way. As for the 2012 and 2013, if there are any NGC certified coins, there should be a slot for those coins. if not, why have a slot for 0 pop.? just saying...

I guess I missed out too. I bought all the other "had to have" coins that had a slot in the collection, but now they were just a waste of time and money. I still have a decent Eagle collection that is up to date.