• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LINCOLN NO S 1990 (whats the deal)

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Please disregard my ignorance when it comes to lincoln cents, i collect morgans and peace dollars also expanding to walking liberties anyway i recently saw a lincoln no s penny sell for 5,000 dollars on ebay and am thoroughly confused how can one tell if the penny came from san fran mint if there is no s i have several penny's 1990 with no s

any help with this would be appreciated

thank you

dan

ebay ended listing

Hi,

From 1968-present, all regular U.S. coinage is struck at San Francisco and is to bear the S mintmark. There are a few rare occurrences of the S not being added to the die, resulting in coins like the 1990 No S cent, the 1971 no S Jefferson nickel, and the 1983 no S Roosevelt dime, among others. That is where the scarcity and high price tag come from, the above mentioned coins are truly tough to come by.

Hope that clears things up a bit,

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Andy is referring to proof coins. The 1990 No S cents are proofs, which were coined only at San Francisco. This is what makes them special.

Proof planchets are specially prepared and finely polished whereas business strike coins do not receive the same treatment. Most post-1978 and often post-1964 proof coins will also exhibit a strong cameo contrast to them also, where the devices(lettering and devices i.e. bust, eagle, building) will have a frosty appearance while the fields will display mirrored surfaces. Also, proof coinage has for the most part, sharper rims and a more uniformed, squared-off edge.