• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917-P Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter

14 posts in this topic

It has a purplish tone to it that may or may not be showing up in this photo. The luster is very good, better on the reverse that the obverse but not by much. I would call it original mint luster and very pleasing.

1917_P_Standing_Liberty_Quarter_Toned.jpg

That to me is a good looking coin. I've been studying SLQs for for a while now since I need both a T1 & T2 for type. I definitely see the luster and hints of the purple toning. Save for a stray mark or two on the obverse and a little bit of chatter in the lower second quarter of the reverse field above DOLLAR I'd call it 64FH.

Edit: Looking at the reverse again I now see a little dig in the reverse field horizontally aligned with the 11th star. Thus 64 may be generous.

I think it might go MS 65 FH. The chatter on the reverse near DOLLAR shouldn't be a big deal. There's nothing else really wrong with it.

Wow, wonderful toning!... that is gorgeous! MS 65 FH is my grade.

My guess is that the coin would grade MS64FH at best. It looks as if there is reverse chatter above LAR in DOLLAR, Liberty's breast and knee look flat and the coin is not well enough lit in the images to show other possible detractions.

Regardless, it's a pleasing looking example.

I appreciate all the opinions and kind words.

Right off hand I can't seem to recall what the grade was on the old small ANACS holder it was in, but I thought it would look much better in a NGC holder.

If it were to do as well as the lowest opinion I would be happy.

I should know what NGC decides by either next Friday or the following Monday since my daughter was kind enough to bring me some new printer cartridges and that allowed me to get the package in today's mail.

I will update then.

Here is what I want to know..... When this coin was released back in 1916/1917 was the public outcry & backlash less severe or more severe than it would be if the same design (or any design with an exposed breast) were released on a quarter in the year 2015?????

Hahaha!

Good question however I think the recent CCAC opinions put forth by a few Ladies on that committee, in regards to the proposed new design for the American Gold Eagle pretty much answered that one for us.

Either in the General or US Coins section there was a topic that discussed the committees disdain of some of the proposed designs. It was opined by at least a few of the Ladies that some of the proposals were "too sexual" if I remember correctly.

I was reading that particular thread right when a condom commercial came on the TV - needless to say I was aghast! :eek:

There are some societal changes in attitude that an old dinosaur will never get used to. (shrug)

I hope it makes out of the grading room alive! :grin:

I was mistaken on that being the CCAC and the AGE here is the thread discussing the proposed designs of the 2015 High Relief Gold Coin.

But you just have to love this quote:

Two of the four women on the panel voiced strong objections to some of the Liberty designs, saying the figures were too sexual.

“The sexuality of some of the designs offends me,” said Mia Lehrer.

Elizabeth Meyer said she agreed with Lehrer that “some of the images are offensive.”

Hahahaha! Yeah .. OK.

I fared much better with this coin since I had purchased it in an old ANACS MS63 FH holder. I felt confident this one would at the very least cross even at MS63 FH but your guesses for the most part were, as usual, dead on.

The coin graded straight in our hosts holder as a MS64 FH

Kind of made up partially for the other two I had my doubts on. :)