• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PICS ADDED!!! 1952 bugs bunny Franklin PROOF discovered. Will be in CPG Vol. 6

47 posts in this topic

Here it is!!! Not that my opinion matters on the subject of the grade, but I have never seen a PF65 this clean... I deal enough with proofs to know a little bit about what is what, and I know that this coin here is a solid PF66, heck I even had it at a "chance at 67".... It is very very clean, it has minimal hairlines, honestly I have never seen a proof in a PR65 holder with so few hairlines... But, when it is the only known bugs bunny on a proof what are you going to do? I know what I wont be doing, I wont be cracking it out.

THANKS FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS GUYS! 20150505_170721-1_zpsqbyu3gzy.jpg

Congratulations again, and the dealers who I have spoken with this all are shocked that such a coin has surfaced as a proof issue, I hope you alert Coin World, etc. maybe they will do a PR!!!

RCdVvOS.gif84JwcZ7.gifiVQckd6.giffEUP2q7.gif

3MaLTZ5.gif

Congrats!

I agree, the coin looks awfully clean for a usually marked up 65.

But, maybe, they considered the die clash as a big ole scratch or something, eh?

Here's a link to the trueview. Very large, enjoy. Chris, does the coin exhibit that much contrast in hand? Your original pictures made me think there was little to no contrast.

PCGS Trueview

Yes Sam, I would say the coin does exhibit that much cameo in hand... The reason you cant see it in the first pic I sent you, is because I used my phone, and my loupe to take that photo, meaning I was about one inch away from the coin, allowing very little light to get in between the coin and the lense. I didn't think it would grade cameo, but a couple dealers I showed it to did. I figured it would quite possibly get a +, but again, what do you do? My biggest issue with the grade, is the grade itself, I have never seen another Franklin proof in a 65 holder with anywhere near this few hairlines. It is a solid 66 in my experience. \

Anyways, thanks Sam.

Here it is!!! Not that my opinion matters on the subject of the grade, but I have never seen a PF65 this clean... I deal enough with proofs to know a little bit about what is what, and I know that this coin here is a solid PF66, heck I even had it at a "chance at 67".... It is very very clean, it has minimal hairlines, honestly I have never seen a proof in a PR65 holder with so few hairlines... But, when it is the only known bugs bunny on a proof what are you going to do? I know what I wont be doing, I wont be cracking it out.

THANKS FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS GUYS! 20150505_170721-1_zpsqbyu3gzy.jpg

Shouldn't the slab label read FS-403 since the 5xx series of FS Numbers is reserved for Mintmarks?

CPG%20001_zpsdcfapg2w.jpg

I think PCGS screwed up the label. Even the original post said "FS-403" which would be in line with the FS Numbering System.

Holy Shiz... good job picking that up.. I cant see how you aren't correct. If I wrote FS 403 in my initial post, before I had the coin back, it would only be because that is what Bill would have told me... Meaning, yes you would have to be right...

Well now, this is very fascinating...

So my next question is... what to do now??? Leave it? "Fix" it? ???

Here's a link to the trueview. Very large, enjoy. Chris, does the coin exhibit that much contrast in hand? Your original pictures made me think there was little to no contrast.

PCGS Trueview

Thank you.

Why,oh why,must I love nice things so?

Hello AHFreak and congrats on that proof 1952 Bugs. I may be new to the message board, but I had heard about this coin for sometime, prior to the Numismatic News article. I am an avid FS Franklin collector and was told that this coin was coming soon!! I am one of those Franklin variety nuts that you hear about and am in PCGS set registry under "Golden Gate FS Franklins, complete circulation set and FBL sets, as well as the proof FS set.. Your coin certainly would have value to one of us nuts. Curious to hear more- I have a contact envelope that can be clicked on in PCGS set registry under the Golden Gate Franklins name if you would care to share more info you may have?? Terrific coin and again, nice find!!

Just wanted to give an update for anyone who might be interested in hearing about it...

I did end up consigning this 1952 Bugs bunny proof to Ian at GreatCollections.

I have done a couple of consignments with Ian in the last 4 weeks or so and I am amazed at the superior level of service GC provides.... (just in case anyone is considering consigning, I would highly highly highly recommend GreatCollections).

The listing is not live quite yet but it will be soon. I am thinking within the next few days... a week at the very most. I will update the thread with a link as soon as the aucion is live.

PS-it will be offered in True Auction style! .99 start, with no reserve.

Thank you.

Chris.