• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Buy-Back Prices

236 posts in this topic

Thanks Kurt. And I agree with MJ, Cal is OK (for sure). If it weren't for his posts I would just feel I had stepped on to another planet or something.

Thanx! Another voice of reason!

CAL who appreciates honesty and fairness, and owning up to personal responsibility

There appear to be several factors in the disagreement between both sides in this thread.

Primarily, I believe those who disagree with both you and Cal don't like the way you make your comments. I tend to be direct in my posts and I believe many don't like it either, even though only a few have stated it.

In the aggregate, I agree with both of your positions. If someone either cannot afford to hold on to the coins they buy or is unwilling to lose money on them when they go to sell, then don't buy them. This isn't the first time I have seen this subject come up and though I don't know how many others here potentially are in a similar situation, I suspect more than a few have imprudently accumulated an outsized percentage of their net worth in their collection. I believe this also influences some of the replies in this thread.

Whatever anyone does is up to them. Personally, the last thing I would do is concurrently have an above average exposure to my collection (whether with limited liquidity or not) while at the same time (partially) relying on a buyback guarantee from a dealer as part of a liquidation plan if I ever really needed the money. That is really poor financial planning.

I believe many contributors here (and on PCGS) don't actually realize the potential risk they take, not just to their financial position but to their future standard of living. Because many collectors here are (much) better off than the median, I also question whether they are really aware of how illiquid most of the coins they collect actually are.

The coins profiled here are disproportionately a lot more expensive than those bought by the lopsided percentage of collectors. They are usually "cheap" or at least moderately priced under the US pricing structure but only because the US price level is an outlier and in many instances, absurdly inflated.

I have made this comment many times and I will say it again. The financial position and the average standard of living in this country is in decline and its going to continue for the indefinite future. I expect most people to be worse if not much worse off later than they are today and disproportionately, will only be able to pay less for most coins.

For myself, I don't make a judgement on the merits of a position based on the tonal aspect of the opinion. When there is absolutely an impossibility of deciphering a Post by a person that is in my opinion rambling and incoherent and threatening and accusatory without knowledge and derisive and completely lacking in manners and politically accusatory of other members, I give no merit to the Poster. That is my opinion of the nature of the Posts by Mr. Cal. I neither agree nor disagree with him. I could not understand his points at all.

That's why he called the Mods on me. Totally lame. maybe that's HIS real problem... limp...

I do not have any "disagreement" with anyone.

Really?

I found the Thread very informative. Mr. Seller has a very sound position.

I do not detect a one side against the other issue. In my opinion, the connecting thread throughout the Thread is the human aspect of the situation, and how business relationships are impacted by the actions of the customer and the business.

But he will tell EVERYONE not to do business with me, based on this ONE Thread. Now Coinman said I personally attacked others here, what was my attack that deserved this???

I don't disagree with your economic awareness warning at all. It is prudent. That is not the thrust of my thoughts, though. I have expressed my thoughts in my Reply to Mr. Seller, so I will not repeat again and be boring.

Just nauseating is enough. Right?

I enjoy reading your Posts.

CAL deciding which one of his two faces is the real insufficiently_thoughtful_person person

One poster stated he did not know when the forum became so judicial (he probably used a more intellectual term) yet he has been at the core since I've been here. These things really suck the life out of the hobby.

You are being incredibly unfair to that poster who happens to be me. I can only think of two or three times when I have introduced (as in initiated) legal topics into a thread. [...]

Oh, so now we're starting to tell jokes? That's a good one. Who wants to go next?

I responded to the only aspects of the thread that were of interest to me, but I am not a dealer and I do not buy from dealers. I can, however, understand why the two parties referenced above would find this thread of interest - although many of the posts seem to lean more towards ethics and business strategies rather than true numismatic interests.

403f448d-779d-4caf-a628-04d68daf8db0_zpsyixbmyo6.jpg

Since I was one of the 2 parties, I think ethic and business strategy in numismatic transactions is directly related to "true" numismatic interests. I think the Thread is of general interest and helpful to anyone that is involved in a numismatic business transaction.

I just read this entire thread and it's usefulness was outlived once the OP accomplished his goal to out and bash the seller.

I can't count how many times I have read if you want to know what your coins are worth you have to occasionally sell to a dealer. The buyback was respectable. Especially considering the dealer had to inventory list and market the coin not to mention taxes overhead ect.

So long as the dealer sells quality coins the majority of buyers will return. Besides this was one instance and we cannot know how the majority of situations are handled.

I don't know if this was libelous or not but it was in poor taste. I will say it is sad that some posters have to worry how they:-) respond to every thread out of fear. One poster stated he did not know when the forum became so judicial ( he probably used a more intellectual term) yet he has been at the core since I've been here. These things really suck the life out of the hobby

Your opinion is as valid as anybody else.

I did not interpret the OP as having a preconceived goal of outing and bashing someone. The OP was encouraged by other members to do so. The OP, thinking it was of value to the discussion listed the Seller.

There was no disrespect or discourtesy until a few Posters escalated the Thread to a bashing level, and did so in a manner that in my opinion was belittling and accusatory, and in poor taste.

The OP was somewhat distraught at the loss of a person that meant much to him, and previous Posts by the OP on other Threads and other members questioned his Posts with genuine concern, because it was out of character for the OP.

If a person is of the opinion that a Thread is no longer of any value, logic would dictate that person not be interested' in posting an opinion, especially when the opinion states a finite reason for the OP starting the Thread was an intent not proven or supported and wording the opinion in a manner that suggests it is fact.

Lastly, the part of your Post that discusses your opinion of the "judicial" nature of another Poster is no less in nature of poor taste than what you state is the nature of the OP, in my opinion.

One poster stated he did not know when the forum became so judicial (he probably used a more intellectual term) yet he has been at the core since I've been here. These things really suck the life out of the hobby.

You are being incredibly unfair to that poster who happens to be me. I can only think of two or three times when I have introduced (as in initiated) legal topics into a thread. [...]

Oh, so now we're starting to tell jokes? That's a good one. Who wants to go next?

By introduce, I mean to be the first person or one of the first to introduce law into a thread. I can think of three that I named and one of those was iffy. Any other mention of the law here, was in response to other posters, and those were usually in opposition to someone advocating a ridiculous opinion such as Cal's libel comments here. Those are the facts. You should look up the word "litigious." Perhaps then you would see why it is farcical at best to insinuate it of me.

I responded to the only aspects of the thread that were of interest to me, but I am not a dealer and I do not buy from dealers. I can, however, understand why the two parties referenced above would find this thread of interest - although many of the posts seem to lean more towards ethics and business strategies rather than true numismatic interests.

Since I was one of the 2 parties, I think ethic and business strategy in numismatic transactions is directly related to "true" numismatic interests. I think the Thread is of general interest and helpful to anyone that is involved in a numismatic business transaction.

In my opinion, this thread was applicable to any business that buys and sells and has a return policy. Numismatics was no more germane to the discourse than any item sold by any business with said return policy.

The thread is of general interest and helpful to anyone involved in this kind of business transaction, but its only connection to numismatics is peripheral and extraneous.

In my opinion, this thread was applicable to any business that buys and sells and has a return policy. Numismatics was no more germane to the discourse than any item sold by any business with said return policy.

The thread is of general interest and helpful to anyone involved in this kind of business transaction, but its only connection to numismatics is peripheral and extraneous.

We all have opinions of what is individually germane. A person responds accordingly,and hopefully by reading the Posts of others, see the perspective of others that collect coins.

As an example, you continue to post. The logic posit is you must find some value, or you would not continue to do so.

It is not important either way. Everybody is different. That is what makes discourse interesting. It is extra nice when the interaction is not discourteous.

"The logic posit is you must find some value, or you would not continue to do so."

When I find that value, which is not very often.

"The logic posit is you must find some value, or you would not continue to do so."

Then this Thread must have been one of those times, because here you are.

Then this Thread must have been one of those times, because here you are.

Certain aspects of the thread, yes.

Cal in the coin forum! :cloud9:

Hello comicdonna!

I have posted in the Coin Forums off and on for years.

CAL who has always told about his many varied interests...

I just read this entire thread and it's usefulness was outlived once the OP accomplished his goal to out and bash the seller.

I can't count how many times I have read if you want to know what your coins are worth you have to occasionally sell to a dealer. The buyback was respectable. Especially considering the dealer had to inventory list and market the coin not to mention taxes overhead ect.

So long as the dealer sells quality coins the majority of buyers will return. Besides this was one instance and we cannot know how the majority of situations are handled.

I don't know if this was libelous or not but it was in poor taste. I will say it is sad that some posters have to worry how they respond to every thread out of fear. One poster stated he did not know when the forum became so judicial ( he probably used a more intellectual term) yet he has been at the core since I've been here. These things really suck the life out of the hobby

Post of the entire Thread!

Viola!

CAL who will continue to tell it like it is...

Man, you ego driven forum internet tough guys need to let some stuff go once in awhile. Would be a good spot for Arch, or another mod, to give people a little cooling off period away from posting for a bit....

I will voluntarily refrain from posting for one week.

The other Thread got locked...

CAL who notices many things...

Man, you ego driven forum internet tough guys need to let some stuff go once in awhile. Would be a good spot for Arch, or another mod, to give people a little cooling off period away from posting for a bit....

You pansy Internet complainers could do the same...

Bochiman tried to call ME out for posting ( trolling) that other thread - as if I was not allowed to defend myself. Reminds me of another regime circa 1938 Europe...

CAL who loves analogies and to put people in their places...

Bochiman tried to call ME out for posting ( trolling) that other thread - as if I was not allowed to defend myself. Reminds me of another regime circa 1938 Europe...

Oh, CAL, Bochiman calls everybody here he lacks the intellectual capacity to deal with an egomaniacal tough guy troll, it's his modus operandi to chill debate. There isn't one such person here who hasn't been subjected to that immature, adolescent profiling by him, and that's the truth, look it up.

Oh, CAL, Bochiman calls everybody here he lacks the intellectual capacity to deal with an egomaniacal tough guy troll, it's his modus operandi to chill debate. There isn't one such person here who hasn't been subjected to that immature, adolescent profiling by him, and that's the truth, look it up.

Kurt, you tryin' to pick a fight with Bochi? :applause:

HT, who occasionally loves to rumble

1) He tries to pick fights with almost anyone who doesn't think the same way (YOU know the way...against PCGS, against common sense, like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, etc).

2) It isn't a rumble you love, it's the instigation of causing a stir amongst people.

3) Cal is like kurtdog.....an internet tough guy. To disagree is "whining". To not agree is to be "wrong".

Boring in its approach, yet they still think they are so tough in each thread they get into. I'll take a note from the other folks and get back to ignoring them....obviously, these tough guys have trouble in real life, hence the attacks on forums where they are safe.

1) He tries to pick fights with almost anyone who doesn't think the same way (YOU know the way...against PCGS, against common sense, like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, etc).

2) It isn't a rumble you love, it's the instigation of causing a stir amongst people.

3) Cal is like kurtdog.....an internet tough guy. To disagree is "whining". To not agree is to be "wrong".

Boring in its approach, yet they still think they are so tough in each thread they get into. I'll take a note from the other folks and get back to ignoring them....obviously, these tough guys have trouble in real life, hence the attacks on forums where they are safe.

What ever happened to letting things go? :devil::baiting:

I'm sorry... I couldn't resist. :)

Coinman...the voice of reason... :devil::roflmao:

I guess I did it without even trying, lol. But instead of engaging in the debate he goes off and calls people he can't deal with egomaniacal tough guy trolls and complains to the moderators to get them silenced or worse yet banned like he thinks we're at that other forum or something, I don't know, I guess I just kind of lost my cool with him a little. But I do apologize, as it's apparent I hurt his feelings. For the record, I really didn't wanted to do that. Just wanted him to STFU.