• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Set Request

7 posts in this topic

No please as lets keep exonumia collecting pure and leave the registry madness for coin collectors. As the owner of hundreds of NGC certified Hard Times Tokens collecting this series and seeking out the finest condition census specimen isn't about top pops. As over the last decade I've owned and sold many of such when an example came along 1-2 points lower that was far better in overall quality.

No please as lets keep exonumia collecting pure and leave the registry madness for coin collectors. As the owner of hundreds of NGC certified Hard Times Tokens collecting this series and seeking out the finest condition census specimen isn't about top pops. As over the last decade I've owned and sold many of such when an example came along 1-2 points lower that was far better in overall quality.

I'll pile on. I am not in favor of this either. I own 250+ NGC-certified HTTs, including many top pops, and can say unequivocally that I would not participate in the registry. Many of the finest HTTs are not -- and never will be -- third party graded anyway as they reside in collections of exonumists who have no interest in plastic. And, for the reason BROADSTRUCK states, creating a registry for HTTs would have little meaning to the high-end exonumists who are truly after the highest quality tokens. In the end, most of the highest graded (and the highest quality) NGC-graded tokens would never find their way to the registry, so what relevance would the registry have? Answer: Very little.

I would love if the exonumia world would be left out of the madness that is the REGISTRY competition also. Why not just use the Custom Sets if you want to create such a set. The NGC Custom Set functionality allows you all the flexibility in the world to do what you are wanting to do.

PLEASE don't cave to this madness NGC! Until now we exonumia collectors have escaped this silliness of label searching. :frustrated::screwy:

Not sure there is a need for registry sets or Fourth Party Graders in exonumia. However, I think if this subset of the hobby is going to thrive we should encourage the expansion of Third Party grading and the census.

I hear a lot of people complain about the registry and CAC but, in my experience, the vast majority of collectors feel the TPGs have greatly benefited US coin collecting and I feel the same would hold true for exo. If NGC wants to get serious about expanding this business, the first step should be to add in holder sizes between standard and oversized (which is ridiculously big and only needed for the largest of medals). There's probably room for 2. That alone would up submissions in my opinion.

I agree with the others, we don't need an HTT registry set. It would bring out everything that is bad in US coins right now - competition instead of collecting for enjoyment. Having your own custom set is the way to go and is available right now.