• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Map -- New Presentation

13 posts in this topic

What do you think of this type of coin presentation?

I love the look of old historic maps so I thought I would try to use one as the background with a coin of, roughly, the same period. My coin is a 1629 Scudo of Odoardo Farnese, the Duke of Parma and Piacenza, from 1622 - 1646. The map is from 1699, by Phillip Lea of Cheapside, London. I think the map helps to set the coin in its historic, as well as geographic, context.

~jack

16472.jpg

See more journals by jgenn

Jack

I LOVE it! What a great idea. With such a large number of European states in that era, the map really gives you an idea of where the coin originates. I also like the border you use on the NGC label. It gives the viewer a flavor for the date of the coin and it blends nicely with the map. Very well done, congratulations.

Gary

I really like it. I also really like what you have done with the slab label...with the cool artistic border. (thumbs u (thumbs u

I like where you are going with this as well, although I feel that the symmetry on the present examples need a little touching up. For example:

• I love the way you took the standard rectangular label and artistically adjusted ithe frame. However since you did that there is no reason to hide it behind portions of the coins.
  • Maybe you could go a bit wider, drop the coin layers down and out to expose the full label.
  • Now there is the asymmetrical aspect. The enlarged pop out area of the map is very nice, however it is not providing a balnced symmetrical overall presntation. If you could find a way to still have that important item in there yet shift it to some other area to balance things out I believe it would be a much more impressive presentation.

I really think you are on to something here that could be even better and that is the reason I hesitantly offer up those suggestions. But don't get me wrong, I think the idea here is outstanding!

Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you found my post -- it got washed way down the list after the flood of posts by one of our new journal users.

I tried a few other compositions but in the end I wanted to keep a square aspect ratio and make sure the "boot" of Italy was not obscured because it's such a distinctive feature of the map of Europe. Also, I was constrained because I'm already at the bottom right corner of the map.

Here are a couple of earlier composition attempts.

~jack

153938.jpg.749a7f8d6a69208df3a0b85e637a526a.jpg

153939.jpg.22ed7e46fa2e5b64f06b0072fe2651f1.jpg

Jack, I like that second one. Although it is very close to your original I think dropping those coins off that nice frame of the label you created really makes a difference.

Now that outward zoom placement does not look awkward. I like that. Nice job! (thumbs u