• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

* Coins vs Cameo Coins

6 posts in this topic

I am having problems understanding how a coin in lets say NGC 67* get's more points than the same coin in NGC 67 Cameo.

Can anyone try and explain the logic behind this?

Thanks In Advance.

I am having problems understanding how a coin in lets say NGC 67* get's more points than the same coin in NGC 67 Cameo.

Can anyone try and explain the logic behind this?

Thanks In Advance.

It is because the star designation is applied inconsistently, and the published standard is incredibly vague. The star could mean many things. If it is a phenomenally toned coin that is in the top 2-3% of the mintage for example, I could see the star carrying a premium over the cameo if the latter is not particularly rare. If, however, the star is for a just miss cameo, then the entire system collapses. There is no real way to remedy the problem other than to stop awarding premiums for the star.

On another note, the quality of star coins differs so much that NGC should avoid a premium IMHO. For me, star designated coins range from "so what?" to "absolutely phenomenal" in quality. Only the latter would be worthy of a bonus, but to do so equitably would require NGC to clarify its star designation or maybe add a new designation.

Maybe somewhere in the registry, the point system is explained but I have never seen it and never looked since I don't participate. I certainly know it isn't based upon the merits of the coin because there is no consistency and no, this doesn't have anything to do with my personal preferences.

In the example you give, I presume it is because the population is lower for the 67*.