• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spectacular Bronze Toners posted by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Thanks CaptBrian1 for your recent Journal on "Understanding Toned Coins" To continue the thread that you started I would like to emphasize that spectacular toning is not limited to Silver coins. Bronze and Copper coins can also develop spectacular toning.

While both NGC and PCGS give preference in their Registries for Bronze coins with the coveted Red (RD) designation I have seen many beautifully toned Red Brown (RB) coins with eye appeal that blows away full Red specimens of the same grade. If you doubt this just peruse the Toned Coin section of the NGC Custom Registry Sets.

I have several examples of beautifully toned Bronze U.S. Philippine Proof coins in my Registry Sets. Two excellent examples are found in my U.S. Philippines Half Centavo Registry Set. http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=77008&Ranking=all The 1904 Half Centavo(PCGS PR66RB) has an attractive Deep Cherry obverse and Hunter Orange reverse. The 1908 Half Centavo (PCGS PR67RB)has gorgeous Rainbow Toning on both obverse and reverse.

Another attractively toned Bronze Proof my 1903 U.S. Philippines Half Centavo (PCGS PR65) Ex. Dr. Greg Pineda is pictured below.

16440.jpg

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

Your coin is precisely what I am talking about. It is stunning. Where did you find it?

I'm going to change the photo on my last journal about toners. (IF I can edit it)

Capt B

Mike Kittle has a few of them in stock (last time I looked) that are very similar. kittlecoins.com

I purchased the 1903 Half Centavo pictured in my Journal article at the Lyn Knight Currency Auctions 2012 Memphis IPMS Auction, Session 4 - Dr. Greg Pineda Philippine Collection, Lot # 5664. The photo is a PCGS TrueView image.

I have never understood the draw to RD (Red) copper. The premiums for RD pieces are often absurd, and the stability of the color is always questionable. I find BN and RB (mellowed) copper pieces to be much preferred to their RD counter parts.

The focus of my "Copper Eye Candy" set has been in line with that -- including only BN and RB coins with eye appeal (to me anyway).

Great looking coin in the first post! (thumbs u

I think my 1903 Proof USA/Philippines One Centavo qualifies as a spectacular bronze, but I admit to a bit of bias.

1007758_Full_Rev.jpg?t=OC8yMC8yMDE0IDk6NDA6NDUgUE0%3d

1007758_Full_Obv.jpg?t=OC8yMC8yMDE0IDk6NDA6NDUgUE0%3d

Sorry. Apparently, the image tool doesn't work as I expected.

I think if you delete all the stuff at the end of the link to .jpg it might work. Heres an example:

https://collectors-society-production.s3.amazonaws.com/Collectibles/40024/1007758_Full_Rev.jpg

Is this your coin?

1007758_Full_Rev.jpg

Gary

BTW nice coin!