• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fakes, Forgeries, and Counterfeit Ancient Coins 2015.

7 posts in this topic

As a long time Ancients collector I realize that many of you do not certify your ancients. In fact many ancient coins are just to inexpensive to certify.

That said, surely there is something here we can do to warn our fellow members away from dealers that continue to sell counterfeit coins.

From my own recent experiences, and those of a fellow member here, it appears that most of these counterfeit coins come out of Europe and particular Spain, Israel, and Cyprus.

In the last two months I have purchased three separate counterfeits from a Cyprus dealer in the total amount of approximately $1,500. We are currently doing battle on Pay-Pal where I am trying to secure refunds. In reviewing this dealers other auctions over the past couple of months I found he had also sold counterfeit coins to several others, in an amount totaling several thousand dollars.

Once I figure out how to post pictures of these counterfeits on this forum I will do so. I have not been a forum member here for many years.

Please don’t be shy, post your fake and counterfeit coins to this thread and lets at least warn whose here on the boards.

I think I have the picture function down here are the first two fakes.

One coin was sold to me as,"ANCIENT GREEK KAMARINA SILVER TETRADRACHM "

The other as "ANCIENT GREEK SILVER TETRADRACHM DEMETRIOS II NIKATOR 129-125 BC"

153533.jpg.a722aecc7e53c0ebb99c0503778d5835.jpg

153534.jpg.388cc4244c5e83ed916c5a4641f18080.jpg

If you are new to the world of ancient coins you must be aware that there are other major concerns that outright counterfeits/fakes. You should know that you must also worry about –

1 – Retooled coins. A retooled coin is one where someone has taken some type of engraving tool and recut parts or all of the coin’s design elements and legends.

2 – Bronze decease (BD). BD is limited to bronze coins (no problem with silver or gold) and is basically a situation where the metal in the coin is under continuous chemical attack and it is basically being corroded away.

NGC will not certify ancients identified as having either of these problems and as such these coins are basically worthless. Depending on the quality of the photo it may not be possible to identify these problems by simply relying on what you see in a photo. And speaking from personal experience few dealers on eBay (and I am sure on other ancient coin sites on the web) are not forth coming when it comes to stating that one of their listed coins may have these problems.

Buying NGC certified ancient coins will protect against being stuck with problem coins.

RaminVT

Hello,

My name is Donald and this is my first post. I was told to come here if I had any questions as I hear the community here is very helpful. I am very embarrassed about this purchase:

KGrHqVrUFIeUlPQ9BBSOdeeU9ew60_57_zpsow1khgcm.jpg

KGrHqNrMFIiNyB9BSOdeTLC60_57_zpshyj1ri5z.jpg

I just received it. I had learned through the Krause Catalog that there was 1 1952 penny from G.B. and on eBay there was this one listed along with other high value items. I took a chance that the seller was not aware. Well I was wrong. I just asked him for proof and he replied with "You didn't expect to get a unique coin for £33?" Well, yes I did. I purchased a 1916-D Merc, PCGS Graded XF40 for $3 for example. I cannot be the only person who has gotten a super deal before.

Know this guy is selling these all day long and he needs to be stopped. Please do your part in report this item to eBay, so that no one else loses like I did. You can find it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-PENNY-POBJOY-MINT-ISSUE-BRITISH-COIN-FROM-GEORGE-VI-UNC-/311309774052

Hello,

My name is Donald and this is my first post. I was told to come here if I had any questions as I hear the community here is very helpful. I am very embarrassed about this purchase:

Know this guy is selling these all day long and he needs to be stopped. Please do your part in report this item to eBay, so that no one else loses like I did. You can find it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-PENNY-POBJOY-MINT-ISSUE-BRITISH-COIN-FROM-GEORGE-VI-UNC-/311309774052

Welcome to the forum Donald.

You might experience better results if you file a complaint against him with a couple of the orginizations that he is claiming to be part of.

489046495_o.jpg

688563514_o.gif

I purchased a 1916-D Merc, PCGS Graded XF40 for $3 for example. I cannot be the only person who has gotten a super deal before.

Got any pictures of the PCGS slabbed 16-D Merc? If you got it for $3 there is a fair chance you may now own a fake PCGS slab as well. (Or did you buy the coin raw and get it slabbed?)

Also a bit of forum etiquette. It would have been better to have started your own thread with this rather than hijacking someone else's thread. It would also help in attracting attention to it.

I purchased a 1916-D Merc, PCGS Graded XF40 for $3 for example. I cannot be the only person who has gotten a super deal before.

Got any pictures of the PCGS slabbed 16-D Merc? If you got it for $3 there is a fair chance you may now own a fake PCGS slab as well. (Or did you buy the coin raw and get it slabbed?)

Also a bit of forum etiquette. It would have been better to have started your own thread with this rather than hijacking someone else's thread. It would also help in attracting attention to it.

That's a pretty good deal, even for a fake slab :)

This looked real to me and perhaps too good to be true. It was and NGC flagged it as NOT GENUINE.

Live and learn..........

1758DDucat-1.jpg

1758DDucat-2.jpg