• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From position 198 to 1300 back to where. by CaptBrian1

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Time to tidey up the registry.

I got quite a suprise in the mail yesterday. My first Journal Award. I have no idea how they made this mistake and sent it to me, but I am not going to say anything lest they ask for it back.

I am slowly becoming a real collector as my stash has grown by adding almost anything put in front of me like a man starving man at a banquet. I had my collection all over the place since then not having any real focus. Coins came and went like some sort of train station. Some items not staying here long at all, some for just a few days.

Last August it hit me. I was getting too many coins with no direction at all so I decided to stop buying unless it was totally impossible to trade into something. Since then I have traded myself into only 70 coins left. That is if you do not count coins that are not graded. Those in paper flips.

I did have, at one time over 400 coins of all kinds and discriptions. I bought raw coins and had them graded. In doin so I came across four counterfeit coins. I learned some hard lessons but still can eat and pay rent so I guess I did not do too bad.

Now, I need to clean up a long ignored registry. You are going to see a greater reduction in numbers and perhaps value.

I did delete a lot of coins a while back when I traded away all my Indian sets, all my foreign gold which I had graded a few years ago. I have traded into what I feel is a real collection not a potpourri of many colors.

My flagship coin remains the same, the 1907 $2.5 PF68* Cameo, but there are a few others added in recently which are attempting to push it out of position like the 1907 High relief I wrote about recently.

My last addition took away 87 coins and has not arrived yet. It is another World Trade Center coin MS70 1991.

So, currently, do not belive what you read in my registry as it need to have many coins deleted and one added.

Keep looking and so will I. The coins are out there, have to keep searching.

Capt. Brian

HAVE FUN!

16385.jpg

See more journals by CaptBrian1

Captain,

I have been doing the same with my potpourri as well. Just traded 15 Lincolns and 15 dimes far a single 2010-D dime Top Pop 2/0. Sounds crazy but I doubt there will be more MS68FT's found soon in roll searches. Trading for crazy stuff the past few years. Time I started looking at what I have as well!! :)

Rick

Its not crazy at all when you figure why we are in this mess. We love coins, its our passion and sometimes we get a little over-zealous. So, we get stuff we really don't want or get too much of common stuff.

For me, sometimes I just get offered stuff at coin shows as I have a booth sometimes three times a month, and when a free lunch comes along, of course I have to eat it.

Anyway, be sure you are havin' fun and don't get too deep.

Have a great day, hope you find a real rarity.

Capt.

Oh Yeah, that sure is, and the High Relief also...

Capt B

PS I'm sitting here deleting coins as fast as I can, I am now down to 69 coins when I get finished. I cannot add the last acquisition as I don't have it yet. The 1991 MS70 World Trade Center MS70.

My trade stash (87 coins) did not get to the guy in time for me to get it today because of the storms. FEDEX is way behind.

Boo hoo, I wanted to show it at the Palm Beach County Coin show this wxend, but it will have to wait til next month.

Brian

Well, I still have some more work to do. Guess I sent off some of the wrong coins and kept some here. So I deleted the three I left here, sent them off today and have not added back in the three I sent by mistake. Not sure what they are. Also, have not totally completed the trade for the 1991 WTC MS70, so who knows what. I may wind up paying a little more for it, or getting some back into my registry. In any case, I feel my registry points don't add up to what I really have, nor does the dollar value.

So many coins are in limbo regarding actual values, and point values. If NGC is going to assign labels to coins, as they must as events take place such as the WTC then those coins should have special slots in the registry and coin census and points.

As it is, when a true collection must have coins from both NGC and PCGS, I feel registry points and values should reflect reality. So often the dollar value given to a coin is not what is actually what is going on out there.

I have paid for coins to other collectors, and received money for coins that those prices are not reflected in the notes. I'm sure that if NGC were to believe every note they received then the prices would be all over the place.

So, when your coins or points don't reflect your reality, you just have to grin and bear it. I guess, the journals is the best place to shed light on some realty between collectors although, that reality may not be shown in the auctions or books.

Live with it and HAVE FUN

Capt. B