• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else notice dark scuff marks on the holder insert?

5 posts in this topic

About 25% of my coins (all world, no US), have a dark scuff mark on the white insert, usually on the lower right prong or lower right corner on the reverse. They all are on larger crown sized coins as well.

I assume it's from the table when the coin is placed in the insert. The grading video gives a good example of how the inserts are "bent" to get the coin in the prongs. I assume that must be when the scuff occurs.

I'm a bit disappointed that a few of them are quite distracting. I just wondered if anyone else noticed this problem.

The majority of my collection is minor world coinage, however, I checked the 20 or so crown size pieces (36mm to 40mm) that I do have. Several have been graded for some time, but most are recent, within the last 4 months, including 5 just received back today. None exhibit the marks that you describe. I recommend you contact NGC, provide an image of the insert scuffs and ask if they will re-holder the coins for you at no charge.

greysoldier

I just checked the imaging of my recent submission, and 1 of 4 of the crown sized coins has the scuff. This time it's both lower reverse prongs. Last submission was 2 of 5 with scuff marks. Also, several random coins I just bought on ebay, like a 2015 Britannia etc. have reverse prong scuffs.

I'm still batting about 25% scuff marks on crown sized coins, and to be honest, I'm getting a little annoyed. It's seems like a consistent problem. Maybe they need to clean the encapsulation bench.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about, look up cert# 3883794-002. You can clearly see the dark scuff on the lower right reverse prong.

I'm definitely contacting NGC about this. I have almost 10 coins now with noticeable scuff marks on the white insert. That's way too many to be just an isolated incident. I'll let you know what NGC says.

NGC customer service got back to me already. That was quick. Well, the answer is, the gray marks are contact marks, not scuff marks. Sure enough, if you press on the outer plastic, the mark will get larger.

It's still odd that they always appear on the reverse prongs. Maybe the prongs get bent out a little causing the contact. I'm glad they're not scuff marks but they're still distracting. Oh well, nothing can be done unless I pay to have them reholdered myself.