• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Skidaway Island Collection on Heritage

10 posts in this topic

I was perusing Heritage, as I often do on a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I saw the upcoming sale of the Skidaway Island collection on Heritage. This appears to mostly be Bust Halves - and there appear to be a very large number of them. Anyone know who this is, and who's selling their collection? Is there a lot of interest or buzz being generated for this collection?

Any thoughts on the quality, looking through it? I have some very strong opinions, but they are strongly negative: After looking through nearly 500 Bust Halves, I saw only 3 that I am interested in. There are a few nice coins, but not many. Nearly every single coin in the collection is cleaned, spotty, damaged, unorignal, or unattractive in some way. This is a huge collection - but it is a terribly unappealing one.

Let this serve as encouragement when you collect - focus on quality, rather than quantity. When it comes time to sell, there will be a huge difference between a collection assembled with care, and one assembled with ugly coins.

The collector - whoever he/she is - has assembled a decent collection of CBHs (IMO). I agree, not all are of the best quality, but not many people can afford to have an eye popping coin for every date/variety. If I were to ATTEMPT to put together a full set of CBHs with Overton varieties it would be of much less quality than that.

This collection has 30 R.5 Bust Half Dollars. This makes it quite a set. I have no idea who this person is with the Skidaway Collection. Skidaway Island is a exclusive gated community is Georgia, so the collector could be from there.

This collection has 30 R.5 Bust Half Dollars. This makes it quite a set. I have no idea who this person is with the Skidaway Collection. Skidaway Island is a exclusive gated community is Georgia, so the collector could be from there.

That is impressive for sure. There are also 4 R.6's and 1 R.7. That's even more impressive. When you're talking about coins of that rarity, you take what you can get, and problems are more forgiveable.

However, when you're talking about R.1, 2, or 3 - these coins are quite common, especially in EF-AU. There are tons of quality, attractive coins in these grades. The spotty, unattractive, cleaned, or problem coins that make up the set bring it down. There was obviously a lot of time and money spent assembling a set as large as that - so it seems surprising that care wasn't spent on finding quality coins.

Maybe its just a difference in collecting perspective on my part?

I agree with the OP. Except that I found more than a few I'd bid on.

I don't know the seller. But clearly he had the fever.

Lance.

Nearly every single coin in the collection is cleaned, spotty, damaged, unorignal, or unattractive in some way.

Sounds like it might be AnkurJ's collection from before he found God... Oops JA... Darn meant CAC doh!

I figured out who it is but all I can say is that the person is a bit nutty

There are many neat coins in the collection and several that I had placed bids on in the past

Jason,

Dave's reply may explain your reaction to the collection. When you have someone that has collected 30 R5, several R6 and a R7 we may all wonder why the collection included a number of R1, R2 and R3 coins that are borderline at best.

As Dave said, the collector is a bit "nutty". But I will offer the opinion that any "Bust Half Nut" will collect what they find attractive. The attraction may not be apparent to other collectors.

What I do know is after looking at the auction offerings, there are several coins that I will be bidding on.

Carl