• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ten Years Since the "Cheerios Dollar" Discovery

15 posts in this topic

The discovery of the prototype reverse was made in February of 2005, to celebrate I recently purchased this second high-grade example.

Who would have thought that free dollar coins given away inside boxes of Cheerios would later sell for over $20,000 each at auction?

In 2000, the US Mint was scheduled to release a new dollar coin. After failed attempts in the past, the Mint was set on promoting and distributing the new "golden" Sacagawea dollars as widely as possible. One such promotional deal was struck with General Mills, who agreed to include a new 2000-dated Lincoln cent in 10,000,000 boxes of Cheerios, while one in every 2,000 of those boxes also included a new 2000-dated Sacagawea dollar. (Other promotions included TV ads featuring actor Michael Keaton voicing a CGI George Washington promoting the dollar, in addition to numerous print ads showing Washington spending the new dollar coins at parties.)

The Mint only had to make 5,500 of the new Sacagawea dollars for General Mills, but because the promotion was set to kick off in January, the Mint had to produce these coins a few months ahead of schedule in the fall of 1999. At that time, the design for the new dollar coin hadn't been tested or finalized yet, and here's where these "Cheerios Dollars" differ from all the other Sacagawea dollar coins.

The reverse of the Sacagawea dollar depicts a soaring eagle. The prototype reverse die used to make these early coins for General Mills had very detailed, beautiful tail feathers not seen on any of the other Sacagawea dollars. When I spoke to former Mint employee and reverse designer Tom Rogers about the change, he told me that after minting the dollars for General Mills, the Mint discovered "the reduction rings were wiping out the tail feather details in the dies". So these details were removed before any more dollar coins were struck, leaving all future Sacagawea dollar eagles with less detailed, flat tail feathers. This prototype die's details made these first coins completely unique. And "unique" in coin collecting usually means "valuable" in coin collecting.

reversecomparison_zps81305092.png

This unique, more detailed set of tail feathers on the reverse wasn't discovered until five years after the promotion, in February of 2005. Many factors account for such a late discovery. First, because these were given away in boxes of cereal, most were acquired by non-collectors who simply handed the coins to their children, or spent them without knowing what they had. Second, the coins were mounted on the inside of the box with the obverse, or front, of the coin displayed in the Cheerios plastic packaging making it impossible to examine the reverse without removing the coin from its original packaging. And finally, because no one knew the prototype reverse existed, no one knew to look for it.

Because most of these Cheerios dollars were spent, very few were preserved in mint state condition. And again, "condition" in coin collecting usually means "value" in coin collecting. Additionally, over the last few years, examples of non-prototype reverse dollars have been found in original Cheerios packaging, so only an unknown fraction of the 5,500 Cheerios dollars even feature the unique reverse.

As of January 2015, ten years after the initial discovery, only 105 of these Cheerios dollars with prototype reverse dies are currently known and authenticated.

Once discovered, news spread and collectors began to search for this unique variety. A few years later in 2008, three separate examples of these coins sold at auction for prices ranging from $23,000 to $34,000. These auctions were all held by Heritage, the largest auction house for numismatic sales.

After the initial excitement wore off, later examples have sold between $5,000 to $12,000, setting an average estimated value for this variety now at around $7,000.

In 2008, the reverse prototype Cheerios dollar was included in the 100 Greatest US Modern Coins book by Whitman Publishing at #14 on the list. The latest edition from 2014 bumped up its placement to #12.

I purchased one of these Cheerios dollars in January of 2012 in a private transaction with a coin dealer from North Carolina. One year later I sold that example for a 53% profit on eBay. Recently I purchased a finer example (pictured below) from Heritage Auctions. This Cheerios dollar has been authenticated and graded by NGC as MS 67.

I've also collected a Cheerios penny in General Mills original packaging, and a First Day Sacagawea coin cover hand-signed for me by both obverse designer Glenna Goodacre, and reverse designer Thomas D. Rogers (again, pictured below) to enhance the Cheerios dollar presentation.

16356.jpg

See more journals by Alan Lastufka

Read about that a couple of years ago, I have 10 rolls of 2000 saca. doubt if any of the prototypes are in them, but will have dig through them some day. Nice write up....really like your picture layouts

Alan

Your set gets better by the day, your typeset is awesome and this coin is an excellent addition. Your information and displays are outstanding.

Gary

Thanks! Obviously I jumped into the type set both feet first, so buying will have to slow down throughout the year. But so far I've been having a ton of fun. =)

Nice info. Not strictly a "prototype" but rather an experimental version of the design.

Yeah I'm just using NGC's verbiage with "prototype". Whatever it's called I think it's a really neat variety, and one that visually, while subtle, is more appealing to me than the standard design.

Hello,  My fiance and I recently found that she has 3 rolls of Sacagawea dollars that she received in a Cheerios box.  In 200 she received a certificate to redeem $100 in the coins.  She mailed that in and received 4 rolls ($25 each).  Her brother took one and her mom still has her 3.  She had no idea that they may be worth something until she searched it this morning.  We have no idea if and what the odds are of any of the coins within the rolls having the rare pattern with the detailed tail feathers.  We are not coin collectors and looking for ideas on how we should proceed trying to value the coins.

Chances of there being a "prototype" reverse in any of the rolls is pretty much zero.  The "prototypes" were received early so they could be put into the packages.  The rolls used to redeem the $100 certificates were probably acquired later after the "prototype" coins were gone.

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/blogs/entry/10424-ten-years-since-the-quotcheerios-dollarquot-discovery/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

04 My Journal NGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

05 Search Journals NGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

06 Members Journals NGC.png