• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

‘Ora Et Labora’ by Karl Goetz

11 posts in this topic

Picked this up recently for very little outlay as it was not attributed to Karl Goetz. From what I have found researching online this medal is listed as Kienast 486. But, what I'm hoping is someone here has the book The Medals of Karl X. Goetz and would be able to tell me specifically what metal this was struck in. This example is roughly 36mm, I weighed it at 17g, and it is not attracted to a magnet. Iron is thus ruled out so I think lead?

goetz__ora-et-labora.jpg

Obverse: Ora Et Labora (Pray and work) God, the Father, in clouds above two naked men, one praying, the other sowing.

Reverse: "Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas." Known as a SATOR Square. Roman numerals in periphery MDCCCCXXXIII (1933)

LordMarcovan & Brandon,

Thanks for the replies. The 'Ora Et Labora’ Goetz medal is (evidently) listed as Kienast 486 and while I've never seen the book I do believe it lists the different compositions available and would be something like 486a, 486b, etc. I'm quite certain this is not of Iron composition as it is not magnetic. Lead is soft, as LM pointed out, but zinc may be a possibility. No matter what composition it is though I like it.

There is very little online that I could find pertaining to this specific medal, but much on Goetz and a ton on his Lusitania medal.

Here for example is 'Ora Et Labora’ in bronze:

486-bronze.jpg

Thanks, Doug

LordMarcovan & Brandon,

Thanks for the replies. The 'Ora Et Labora’ Goetz medal is (evidently) listed as Kienast 486 and while I've never seen the book I do believe it lists the different compositions available and would be something like 486a, 486b, etc. I'm quite certain this is not of Iron composition as it is not magnetic. Lead is soft, as LM pointed out, but zinc may be a possibility. No matter what composition it is though I like it.

There is very little online that I could find pertaining to this specific medal, but much on Goetz and a ton on his Lusitania medal.

Here for example is 'Ora Et Labora’ in bronze:

486-bronze.jpg

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug, sorry I glossed right over your earlier post that it was non-magnetic. Lead seems feasible. Most of Goetz' pieces are cast, correct? Lead seems a completely reasonable metal for a "trial" cast possibly? I've always admired the dozens of medal design by Goetz, but I'm certainly nothing more than a neophyte! Best of luck!

Hi Doug, sorry I glossed right over your earlier post that it was non-magnetic. Lead seems feasible. Most of Goetz' pieces are cast, correct? Lead seems a completely reasonable metal for a "trial" cast possibly? I've always admired the dozens of medal design by Goetz, but I'm certainly nothing more than a neophyte! Best of luck!

Ha, no worries and believe me, I'm a neophyte myself where Goetz is concerned. As I understand, Goetz did prefer to cast his medals, but presumably these were die struck as the hubs & dies were offered by Heritage in 2013.

You'll have to keep an eye out for something of his that will fit in your horse stall. I like these two: K-2 & K-28

The figure on the right is not sowing grain.... He is holding up his underpants. The fellow on the left is paying the other guy does not lose his grip.

The portrait in the upper center is Charlton Heston following a wardrobe malfunction during Ben Hur.

Possibly tin. Zinc tends to become whitish and rough.

The figure on the right is not sowing grain.... He is holding up his underpants. The fellow on the left is paying the other guy does not lose his grip.

The portrait in the upper center is Charlton Heston following a wardrobe malfunction during Ben Hur.

Possibly tin. Zinc tends to become whitish and rough.

I wish people would read the book and stop spreading misinformation.

:roflmao:

Yeah me too, but now I'm in a quandary 'cause when RWB said:

I started looking at the OBV more closely and what popped into my head was that RWB ain't right - that's a buck naked dude hoping the other loses his undies and the wind god is up above blowing a stiff breeze.

I'm gonna have to sell it now :facepalm: or think of that every time I look at it.

goetz__ora-et-labora.jpg