• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your grade guess for this coin?

34 posts in this topic

I would go MS-66 on it. If it were anything other than an 1881-S dollar I'd say MS-67 is a possibility, but the grading on those can be quite tough. I've seen MS-65 graded 1881-S dollars that were close or as nice as this. I think that there is a very slight abrasion on the cheek of Ms. Liberty that is not on the holder.

I have seen similar grading for the gold dollars from the 1880s. Those coins were often very well made and very smooth. With some searching you can find examples in MS-65 and even MS-64 holders that look to be better than the grade assigned.

Edited to say I wrote this without looking at the assigned grade.

I would guess the coin is: UNC DETAILS OBV IMPROPERLY CLEANED as I have a 1878 S Morgan that has the same scratch marks on the lower cheek that NGC graded UNC DETAILS.

It is unlikely that a coin would be graded "Unc. Details" for anything close to that minor. My guess is that yours had other problems or that the "scratch marks" were more severe.

Saw the posted MS65 grade. Coin is sharply struck, luster looks good. No marks in focal areas. Don't see the cheek issues that some posters are referring to.

Quite honestly, I would not argue with a grade of MS65 or MS66.

Carl