• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100 Greatest US Coins registry set?

6 posts in this topic

Didn't there used to be a registry set for the 100 Greatest US Coins book by Jeff Garrett? I can't find it. I only see the 100 Greatest US Modern Coins registry set. If not, could one be made? I realize some of the coins are unique and will never be owned by any collector, but we might be able to assemble a partially complete set. =)

Sounds to me that you are interested in a "key" date set for the most widely collected and common US coins because these are the only coins from the "Top 100" that any number of consequence will ever be able to afford or actually buy. I can see it include anywhere from 20 to maybe 30 coins, mostly from 20th century series plus the Morgan dollar and maybe Barber coinage.

Why would you start a set that you have no hope of ever finishing? That would drive me crazy!

Among other things, I'm working on a US Type Set of coins pedigreed to Louis Eliasberg. I knew from the beginning that I had no hope of finishing it. I can not afford the coins to fill some of the slots, and several of the designs weren't even minted in his lifetime. The impossibility of the task doesn't discourage me, it has challenged me. I've filled in some of the unattainable slots with coins pedigreed to his son (L. E. Eliasberg, Jr.), and I will deal with the other 'unattainable' slots in a yet to be determined manner. The impossibility of completion is precisely what inspires me. hm

Why would you start a set that you have no hope of ever finishing? That would drive me crazy!

The challenge of an unobtainable set is a great thrill as you near the end and actually find a few of the impossible coins. You never know what coins lie in your future of collecting. Seems like Alan listened to your message as I seen him sell a large group of top 100 the last few weeks. I sure hope he does well in all his future coin endeavors!!

As you all know well, I collect modern coins. Nothing really fancy but when it comes to rarities which of course MOST collectors and dealers say there are none in modern coins ---- I say WRONG!! I have many top pop MS coins that the grade level has never seen an auction house. No sales history to me is a SWEET addition no matter what the U.S. Modern coin is. :grin:

I sell or trade a few once in a while to help other collectors improve their sets --- only to re-invest in more coins to further my own stash. lol

I have the top 100 set listed on my Keeper's page and never expect to complete the challenge in 20 more years or so. It is great to add a new member to the pack once in a while. (thumbs u

Coin Trader ---- Best of luck on all the Eliasberg collection you can gather!! ;)

Later--Rick