• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC vs PCGS registry posted by Skeester

21 posts in this topic

Please explain. I view everything under the NGC coins link so any PCGS coins that I view are worthless towards point values.

IMO It is only a matter of time before NGC completely removes all PCGS coins from their registry. They have effectively done that by giving us the option to gray out the scores of PCGS coins by selected the NGC only link. It was a compromise that offended some when they did it, but I believe it was a good thing.

Please elaborate as inquiring minds like mine are curious. :banana:

The Registry is already NGC Only for World Coin Competitive Sets. That is one reason for some PCGS world coin cross-overs to NGC. Probably the way it should be although sometimes it can be frustrating.

greysoldier

NGC and PCGS are not treated differently.

I like the ability not to be forced to cross coins just to participate in the registry! That is why I have my coins on the NGC site and not on the PCGS site.

In my opinion, NGC is the services for the collector and coin collectors/Numismatist and PCGS is for the investor buying the slab.

One guys opinion.

JTO

My personal opinion is that the NGC Registry should be NGC only. If I wanted PCGS coins I'd join the PCGS Registry.

That's too bad you feel that way.

For those of us who collect coins, not just plastic, one of the great things about the NGC registry that puts it way ahead of the PCGS registry is that NGC is about the coins, not just the brand of plastic.

I thought it was a great disservice to the hobby when NGC changed their World sets to NGC-only. It made a lot of wonderful world coin sets "disappear". The registry sets on NGC aren't just for ego-stroking and competition -- I find them to be great educational tools. Browsing the sets is a wonderful testament to the time and effort put into them by the collectors, but is also a great resource for people who are wanting to start a new set.

NGC is still more collector-centric than PCGS (no denying), but I hope they never go to NGC-only USA registry sets. I mean, how insecure must a company be to proclaim that they are the only company worthy of grading coins.

lol Sad really...

One reason I chose the NGC registry was the ability to put PCGS coins in the U.S. Sets. I hope that never changes. If it does, I will not be sending my PCGS for cross.

I was disappointed to hear about the change in World Coin policy. To me it's a shame.

I'm also happy that this message board is more open minded than the PCGS site.

I too applaud NGC for allowing PCGS coins in the registry. I also like that they have the NGC only option. I collected only PCGS coins in the 80s and now collect both.

I also do not like that NGC went NGC only for the world coins. It's a good thing that most of my world coins are NGC graded. I will cross over a couple (hopefully). I can not do that for my US coins because it would be way too expensive.

One of the reasons I pick NGC over PCGS is because of there policy to allow both in the registry. I think that is great for the hobby and that they tend to cater to collectors.

I concur with the majority on this one. I like that you can have both NGC and PCGS coins in your registry and haven't found any difference in scoring (so far). Please post an example...

Bud

I collect coins, not slabs. So either work for me. I preferred when NGC would allow PCGS coins in the World competitive sets. They were the bigger company for doing it when they did. I won't spend my hard earned money to have coins crossed over in either direction unless there is a good justifiable reason to suspect that they would upgrade. My custom set is really what matters most to me. And it does not earn points, but I don't really care because it is priceless.

I agree with the majority on what is said of favoring NGC over PCGS registry, however I am one of the world collectors, and It is a complete bummer I can not put up my PCGS graded coins on my competitive sets. Even if NGC let you at least add the PCGS graded coins and only gave half points I would be good. At least you could put it in your competitive set, and it would not be buried away in some custom set no one looks at.

My personal opinion is that the NGC Registry should be NGC only. If I wanted PCGS coins I'd join the PCGS Registry.

That's too bad you feel that way.

For those of us who collect coins, not just plastic, one of the great things about the NGC registry that puts it way ahead of the PCGS registry is that NGC is about the coins, not just the brand of plastic.

I thought it was a great disservice to the hobby when NGC changed their World sets to NGC-only. It made a lot of wonderful world coin sets "disappear". The registry sets on NGC aren't just for ego-stroking and competition -- I find them to be great educational tools. Browsing the sets is a wonderful testament to the time and effort put into them by the collectors, but is also a great resource for people who are wanting to start a new set.

NGC is still more collector-centric than PCGS (no denying), but I hope they never go to NGC-only USA registry sets. I mean, how insecure must a company be to proclaim that they are the only company worthy of grading coins.

lol Sad really...

:golfclap:

For another point of view I prefer all the slabs in world sets to be in NGC slabs. Each grading company puts emphasis on different things. If they are all in one brand of slab they are judged the same. If a coin is a 67 in PCGS but will not cross at same grade I would I would not feel it is a true 67 .

I should have prefaced this by saying I think NGC is tougher on world coins and generally sell for more then a PCGS coin of the same grade.

For another point of view I prefer all the slabs in world sets to be in NGC slabs. Each grading company puts emphasis on different things.

I can't speak for other coin series, but for Roosevelt dimes, NGC's FT designation does have slightly different standards (a bit more strict) than PCGS' FB. So I understand what you're saying in those terms.

I have found that NGC is the more consistent grader of world coins. My best example is a 4 piece 1852 Maundy set that was way, way undergraded by ICCS as 65/64/64/65 that came back from NGC as 66/67/67/66. It really is about the coins, not the 'package' they are in. Here is the reverse of the fourpence.

IMG_0916-Copy_zps89d314f5.jpg

A good example of what I am saying is I follow a couple dealers that submit to both PCGS and NGC. Whe they look at the coin raw they evaluate the coins strengths and weakness and submit it to the one which will give it a higher number.