• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I send in coins that were graded by SGS to NGC to be regraded?

8 posts in this topic

All depends on how bad you want those specific coins in NGC holders. On lower value coins I usually let the big guys send them in for grading and then buy them off them. They can take advantage of bulk submission rates and lower their per coin cost. Only exception for me is the 1oz Libertads, because I buy a membership and 5 coins submission is in the in the purchase price. Second to that is the dealers always seem to want to get first strike label on their slabs and that doesn't match the labels I have which bugs me. Finally I can get PF 70's for have the cost a dealer will charge me by sending in the raw coins (of course you need to have a good idea what a PF70 looks like if that is what you are after). So that is why is makes sense for me to send in the S1ONZA PF Libertads.

SGS coins are not worth the trouble.

if you look close at their coins you will see what I mean.

I bought some of their coins years ago, and i don't think there is a one of them that lives up to the grade that's on the slab.

Agree with the others. I have a few SGS graded coins I picked up as part of lots. One is an MS 70 1950-D nickel. It is really a poorly cleaned AU coin. I use it to show the Boy Scouts during grading discussions. Google SGS and see the responses.

They should be submitted to NGC if your going to sell them and get anywhere near market value but question if worth grading cost. I am not sure even ebay accepts SGS as a TPG like they do PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG.

If you don't want pay grading fees to get them in another holder you can list them on ebay with a 99c auction start. I frankly do not think they would bring much more than melt in those holders and skeptical if would get as high grades at NGC. Ebay will not let you use numerical grades for grading services they do not take in descriptions.....

Look for a suitable economy option with NGC.

Me, I would keep them in the holders, list on the Bay at Gem BU, Gem PF and start at shipping cost plus 99c offering free shipping cost - say auction start around melt.. If you put shipping cost on them (wo shipx cost in auc start offering "free shipping") in the ebay auction one guy could buy them all and expect combined shipping with some of them not bringing more than melt. A guy in the coin club sold some non silver slabbed mods - NGC and PCGS PF69DC and got about $20 for all four total which included the combined shipping - they had a market value of $95. Otherwise stocking gifts to kids and relatives at xmas.

My bid on them if auc buyer would not be above melt if in those holders. A guy at a show came up to my table with an entire box of SGS slabs asked if I was buying. I was surprised and just politely said "not buying, lack of funds."

I purchased a set of wheats somewhere around 9 years ago that were graded by this same company. When I received them I understood why the bids were so cheap!!

That Christmas my sister came to visit. Her husband (my brother-in-law) and I got a conversation started on coins as I sold a few and we were talking values on morgans and other silver coins. He said something on how he was interested in wheats and that was my ticket out!! I handed him the full box of SGS graded wheats and said "Merry Christmas". :grin:

That worked very well for both of us .

(funny part is) They stopped here a couple weeks ago on their way to the Keys in Fla. They live in New York. Of course I am always into some coin adventure which last month was a large Lincoln deal. I told him not to be so set on the grades that were given by the company that graded the coins I gave him years ago. "HE STILL HAS THEM"

O-K --- so I didn't give you wealth ----- he'll get over it --- lol