• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just lost my mind (aka, Anglo-Saxon newps)

6 posts in this topic

Here we are, on the eve of the 2015 NYINC show, and I haven't bought a real coin since Baltimore (I did buy a low-value sceat in early December because that was a curious piece). I got an email from CNG today telling me about new matches to my want list, and there were many!!! Too many, in fact, that I didn't know what to do. Work has been slow due to the holidays, and I've been in full-blown coin mode since after Christmas, and my wife is out of the country and there's no one around to control me (other than my dog). So what did I end up doing about these coins that interest me? Yes, you guessed it -- I bought a small handful of them. I'll just tell my wife that I bought a very nice Christmas present for myself later when we do video chat. :D

So, without further ado, here they are:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex. Eadwig. 955-959. AR Penny (21mm, 1.37 g, 1h). Circumscription Cross/Horizontal-Trefoil (HT 1 ‘York’) type. Eoferwic (York) mint; Hereger, moneyer. +E¯A¯DPIG REX, small cross pattée / (HE)RIG/ ΔER MO in two lines; +++ between, trefoils above and below. CTCE 68; SCBI 34 (BM), 783 = Walker, “A Hoard of Anglo-Saxon Coins from Tetney, Lincolnshire,” NC 1945, 61 var. (pellet on second line of reverse); North 724; SCBC 1122. Near EF, toned.

I already own a near EF S-1122, but I bought this anyway because these are rare and I think I got this for a good price. (Yes, I know it is stupid of me to think I can out-price CNG on this stuff.) The new coin and my old coin are actually different sub-varieties (different reverse) of S-1122, with differing North catalog numbers.

New:

989713.jpg

Old:

Thread for my old Eadwig

Anglo-Saxon%20S-1122%20Eadwig%20Agtardes%20(medium).jpg

Next coin:

ANGLO-SAXON, Secondary Sceattas. Circa 720-745. AR Sceat (12mm, 0.82 g). Series H, type 39. Hamwic mint. Stylized pecking bird right / Celtic cross. Abramson 46.10; SCBI 63 (BM), 458-9; North 96; SCBC 801. Good VF, toned.

991402.jpg

Third coin:

ANGLO-SAXON, Secondary Sceattas. Circa 725-745. AR Sceat (12mm, 0.75 g, 6h). Series QIID, type 65. Uncertain mint in East Anglia (Elig [Ely]?). Bird standing left, with wings spread; small cross pommée to left, pellets around / Quadruped advancing left; pellets around. Abramson 64.110; SCBI 63 (BM), –; North 138; SCBC 809. EF, toned. Rare.

991056.jpg

Final coin:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of All England. Cnut. 1016-1035. AR Penny (18mm, 1.11 g, 6h). Short Cross type (BMC xvi, Hild. H). Lundene (London) mint; Beorhtmær, moneyer. Struck circa 1029-1035/6. + CNV– RECX, daidemed bust left; trefoil-tipped scepter before / + BRIHTMER ON LVN, voided cross, with pellet-in-annulet at center. SCBI 14 (Copenhagen), 2198 (same dies); Hild 2039; BMC 430 var. (rev. legend); North 790; SCBC 1159. Superb EF, lustrous.

990904.jpg

I guess it was the art style of the culture, but its really funny how crude these pieces are. I never would have guessed those were birds if you didn't tell me. Compare those to the ancient Greek pieces (like the Athen's Owl) struck 1500 years prior, and its kind of amazing how backwards the technology was.

Someone once said, " A mind is a terrible thing to waste." I think, however, you received a pretty good trade for yours. You and your dog seem to make an excellent numismatic team. Nicely done !

Thanks.

The motifs on these early period Anglo-Saxon pieces were crude and often debated over the years regarding what they actually are and what are the conventional numismatic terms to use.

Yes, entire treatises have been written arguing what words to use to describe these coins. If you're a hardcore coin nerd, read the BNJ.

EVP

Very impressive coins and pictures!

As long as your wife doesn't mind, then I don't think you've lost your mind.

(Although, what will you buy at NYINC?)

DaveG,

It's been a very long time we've seen each other. If you're going to NYINC, email me and we can hook up.

Btw, the four smaller pics are from CNG. I think the pic of the older Eadwig is also from the dealer (different dealer).

EVP