• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Art and Science of Grading Coins - by Jason Poe

18 posts in this topic

My book is available for sale now on Amazon.

Grading coins is the single most important skill for a coin collector to have. Plenty of books will show you pictures of coins in various grades, and ask you to match the coin to a picture. Very few books go through each facet of grading and explain them in depth, in easy to understand terms that even a novice can understand. There is plenty of science involved – but there is also an art to the skill of grading. This book will help you piece together each component: surfaces, luster, strike, wear, contact marks, and eye appeal. Beginners and advanced students of numismatics alike will learn something from The Art and Science of Grading Coins.

This book is based off my series of What You Need to Know posts here on the forums, and has been 5 years in the making.

The book is "print-on-demand," which means that Amazon will print a copy just for you, when you order it.

You can find it here: The Art and Science of Grading Coins

I just ordered mine. Should be here by January 6th. Hey, I just like the pictures on the cover !

(thumbs u

greysoldier

Thanks! (Almost) all of the pictures in the book are of coins that I own, and a lot of the pictures were done by Bob Campbell.

I just received my book Jason and it is very well written and easy to understand. Thanks for the many hours you have spent on this project and hopefully this will not be your last book!! I recommend your book to everyone in the Numismatic community! Have a Happy New Year!!

Bud :applause:

Got my copy in the mail yesterday and am looking forward to reading and learning it.

The first page in the book is a very nice dedication that reads:

Dedicated to all my friends on the NGC Forum,

who inspire me,

teach me,

and stimulate me as a collector.

Congratulations Jason.

Received my copy from Amazon ~ they were quick on delivery. I still love the pictures on the cover, but now it is time to find out all the great stuff on the inside !

Thanks Jason :hi:

greysoldier