• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bochiman et al. drinking the Kool Aid ATS..........

132 posts in this topic

Wow, this thread got nasty. Here's a coin. That's what we are here for, right?

Incredible looking Lincoln Jason. (thumbs u

Interestingly, it looks like the thread was deleted. I wonder why. Even though there were disagreements, it was fairly civil and benign.

I'm guessing that one of the Kool-Aid drinkers over there sent a PM to one of the moderators complaining that this thread is promoting NGC.

That PCGS lincoln Jason is overgraded - I will bet it would grade point reduction if cracked and sent to NGC raw, no matter what the grade it is in its present holder ;):jokealert:

Best, HT

That PCGS lincoln Jason is overgraded - I will bet it would grade point reduction if cracked and sent to NGC raw, no matter what the grade it is in its present holder ;):jokealert:

Best, HT

Perhaps, but it would probably get a Star, and that would make up for it ;)

Best, HT

Perhaps, but it would probably get a Star, and that would make up for it ;)
lol x2!!!

And Jason.... you dastardly fiend!!!

You are correct, Coindude. How could I be so bold? Let me make amends by posting an ANACS coin:

One thing I have noted about PCGS is that they more prone to net grading than NGC on early U.S. coins.

I am on a iPad so my expanded response will be brief.

Most collectors who want a VF, EF or any other circulated grade coin want a "solid example." They don't want a coin with AU sharpness that gets downgraded or net grade for some problem. Such coins are often "no grades," but I have seen more a few early U.S. coins that problems like initials in the field, distracting planchet problems, cleaning and polishing, and distracting marks that were net graded in PCGS holders. This is something that disappoints me with some PCGS coins. That was what I was referring to with comment, which perhaps too brief.

Most ats have thier noses in the air! Those that do, usually are the ones that buy the slab and not the coin.
Some over here have their noses up in the air as well!

Elitist?

They are everywhere my friend! lol

Most ats have thier noses in the air! Those that do, usually are the ones that buy the slab and not the coin.
Some over here have their noses up in the air as well!

Elitist?

I don't know that I would call that thread elitist; if you meant closed minded then I absolutely agree. That's why I posted what I did to it - I believe in keeping an open mind and examining the data. The market will have the last word.

A 100 post thread obsessing on ATS Kool-Aid (with a nice coin or two thrown in as a diversion). Does anyone but me find irony in this?

Ahhhh, the power of objective opinion. lol

The only thing that irritates me about these cross forum threads is the generalization of who posts there versus here. All the classy posters are here? Really?

I resemble that remark. Oh I thought you said Gassy.23_33_11.gif

The only thing that irritates me about these cross forum threads is the generalization of who posts there versus here. All the classy posters are here? Really?

It doesn't matter the class of people, everyone gets caught up in the Hatfield & McCoy battles every once in a while. As long as we can always get back to the roots of why we are here, to teach and learn, things mellow out. Sometimes it's easy to lose respect towards people when all we have to go by is words in a thread. I believe that if most of us had the chance of meeting face to face to share the hobby and opinions, we would have a different perspective and attitude towards easy other. Jmo

I can't believe I read this entire thread in a single sitting. Ouch! I must've had too much free time...

I am nearly exclusively dark side now, and post predominantly ATS in the dark side forum (because here is so minimally trafficked that it's not worth my time). I would like to point out that we post raw or slabbed and no one cares as long as it's mostly about the coin.

Enforcing a slab-to-site rule would be laughable in the dark side world. We like coins. Check out the threads there (ATS dark side); maybe you'll enjoy the topics. We have posts about the earliest of coinage, and Alexander the Great, and hammered coins as well as the more familiar talers and medals.

One thing you have to admit: we have more variety than in lite side!

EVP

Had there not been so much initial negativity in the OP's thread ATS it would probably be still there on maybe page 5 or even deeper, not hurting anyone's feelings.

I hope the bellyachers are happy now, content in knowing they got their way.

Back to US Coins.

I'm the one who commented that the classy posters are here LogPotato, I'll tell you why. Here, while there are posting rules, it takes a great deal to get the banhammer. Pretty much you can say what you will. With the free flow of ideas we don't have people flaming one another over stupid things.

In this particular case because the OP posted coins he had graded by NGC, (on a PCGS coin board) some of their regular posters got all butt hurt calling the post rude and the post an NGC promotion. To blast a new guy with 14 posts for expressing his excitement is classless. Especially when the topic was coin related. New posters should be made to feel welcome, period.

I've seen many PCGS coins posted or discussed here and there's never been a similar comment from anyone. I think that's because there's a recognition here that doing so poses no threat.

I'm the one who commented that the classy posters are here LogPotato, I'll tell you why. Here, while there are posting rules, it takes a great deal to get the banhammer. Pretty much you can say what you will. With the free flow of ideas we don't have people flaming one another over stupid things.

In this particular case because the OP posted coins he had graded by NGC, (on a PCGS coin board) some of their regular posters got all butt hurt calling the post rude and the post an NGC promotion. To blast a new guy with 14 posts for expressing his excitement is classless. Especially when the topic was coin related. New posters should be made to feel welcome, period.

I've seen many PCGS coins posted or discussed here and there's never been a similar comment from anyone. I think that's because there's a recognition here that doing so poses no threat.

Let's be fair and honest here, ok?

I posted what I did for multiple reasons...none to be rude to the guy, and I still don't think I was. From his OP, it was excitement, sure, but nothing educationally outstanding on its own. Given the way things go there, it could likely be seen as someone taking a swipe at PCGS or promoting NGC there. To ignore that possibility, particularly for those so brilliant about bannings and such, is to be pure ignorance unchecked. My comments were made to give a nudge to that.

For someone to take make a thread here, about threads over there, just to stir the pot, which is what all this was, is pure classless, imho. There is no class in just running around and stirring things up.

For the "newbie" part. How do you/we know the person is/was a newbie with that OP for that thread? He had 13 posts at the time? That makes him a newbie? He had under a year on the board, that makes him a newbie?

Come on now, unless he stated he was a newbie or had many of the markers of being a newbie, then there is a lot of ignorance in automatically deciding he is/was a newbie. He very well may be, but he was better at posting pictures, without asking for help, that most "newbies" I have seen.

Posting pics isn't that difficult and maybe he picked it up while reading many threads/posts on the forum over his time. Makes him smart, but doesn't make him a newbie.

Maybe he lurked for awhile before joining?

Would someone with 3 months and 500+ posts be a "newbie"? Why not? Posting a lot in a short span of time doesn't make one more "forum mature", does it?

There's a lot of unknown, but there is a lot of supposition by keyboard brainiacs going on to justify their anger here.

For me, at least, he didn't "get my butt hurting" with his post. The way his post was initially presented, and with the limited info the way it was, I will still stand by that it would have been better here than there. If he had put more info in that post and given comparisons and such, as he did LATER in the thread, then that would be different too.

I really couldn't care much about the content (moderns, etc) of the thread. It was the way it was presented and I was trying to make it clear that it could be interpreted as promoting NGC whereas that is specifically stated in the rules. To ignore that very real potential interpretation is to truly be blind.

Doesn't matter if you/I/anyone else agrees with the rules or how they are carried out, they are what they are and have been enforced before.

No, I didn't inform Don, nor anyone, about that thread. Not my place. The only reason I responded more than that once in the thread was because of all the attacks by the keyboard cowboys. People that got their panties in a twist because they wanted to jump on me and NOT READ the words I put down. I wasn't bashing/attacking the OP...I was stating it likely wasn't the right place and could be interpreted as a rude thing to do. Like it/me or not, I will stand by that.

Btw...back to the "newbie" portion that so many like tossing out there.....how many "newbies" buy issues like that, fully understand the grading behind them (and the monies to be made), the labels, and have the accounts to send them to a grading service?

To end it, there are many classy posters on both boards. That is fact, to me at least. There are also plenty of classless posters who just want to stir things up and jump on others because of their own lack of reading comprehension and reasoning. I don't see many on the PCGS boards with chips on their shoulders about NGC (there are a few who are too "has to be PCGS or bust" but they really are few and far between) but there sure seems to be a LOT (or at least a LOT OF VOCAL) posters over here who have nothing better to do than trash on PCGS and/or forum members of PCGS....usually because they were banned for whatever reason. Of those, only 2 members I know of, that got banned, and are over here posting, were, imho, honestly erroneously banned just because they were misinterpreted or posted at the wrong time in the wrong thread. I won't mention them, but I know they know who they are. Others think they may have done nothing wrong, but if they are honest to themselves, they may be able to see where they pushed the envelope at the wrong time or said things in the heat of the moment that shouldn't have been said. Of course, they come here and whine about the banning and how it shouldn't have happened, then they puff up their chests and bash PCGS and the forum members...again, and again, and again. Makes 'em feel better I guess.

I'm the one who commented that the classy posters are here LogPotato,

Oh yeah, I am also reminded of the "classy posters" being over here when I see threads that are so respectful and thought out as this:

recent thread about stickering moderns

It was already mentioned on the PCGS boards but wasn't quite so ridiculed (though it had/has detractors....just was dealt with in a different, and I believe, a more respectful, way)

I've also seen threads by what I would consider a true "newbie" who is trying to learn, is older, and is asking a lot of questions....there is a lot of derision in the threads towards that person (there are some helpful folks as well). The ones with the derision....."classy"? Not imho.

So, both/all sites have classy posters, but just because NGC doesn't ban as quickly as PCGS doesn't make the posters themselves classy....just makes the NGC modes more tolerant and shows THEIR class. The mods at NGC, as I have watched over the years, here and in the comic book forum, are pretty good and reasonable. Some of the posters, not so much.

Well, that's a well though out response in your defense, but the fact still remains that there are more qualified individuals that operate/moderate that board than the casual poster. Let them filter the contents instead of turning the thread into a pile-on by both the pros/cons where there seems to be no choice other than to delete it before it turns into a complete melee.

Well, that's a well though out response in your defense, but the fact still remains that there are more qualified individuals that operate/moderate that board than the casual poster. Let them filter the contents instead of turning the thread into a pile-on by both the pros/cons where there seems to be no choice other than to delete it before it turns into a complete melee.

Just curious....do you mean "turning the thread into a pile-on" like this thread, which was nothing more than stirring the pot, has been? By so many "classy" posters? ;)

Tell me...why was this thread posted here on the NGC boards, when the "issue" was solely on the PCGS boards? Classy?

Also, why was it posted in US Coins instead of maybe "Numismatic General"?

Sorry, but to bash on one and not the other, when this thread was done with nothing more than malice and pot-stirring in mind, is just pitiful (and, that isn't a finger pointed at you, WJ, it is a reference to multiple postings done by more than a few, who even admit to just having a chip on their shoulder and wanting to spark more)

Oh yeah, I am also reminded of the "classy posters" being over here when I see threads that are so respectful and thought out as this:

It was already mentioned on the PCGS boards but wasn't quite so ridiculed (though it had/has detractors....just was dealt with in a different, and I believe, a more respectful, way)

I've also seen threads by what I would consider a true "newbie" who is trying to learn, is older, and is asking a lot of questions....there is a lot of derision in the threads towards that person (there are some helpful folks as well). The ones with the derision....."classy"? Not imho.

So, both/all sites have classy posters, but just because NGC doesn't ban as quickly as PCGS doesn't make the posters themselves classy....just makes the NGC modes more tolerant and shows THEIR class. The mods at NGC, as I have watched over the years, here and in the comic book forum, are pretty good and reasonable. Some of the posters, not so much.

Yes, because the most "respectful" way to deal with a thread is to berate the poster for posting US Coins in the US Coins section of the forum, because said coins happen to be the wrong flavor of plastic. Give me a break Bochi -- just using the word "respectful" in a post here doesn't make you somehow absolved of your original berating and inappropriate post ATS...

Yes, because the most "respectful" way to deal with a thread is to berate the poster for posting US Coins in the US Coins section of the forum, because said coins happen to be the wrong flavor of plastic. Give me a break Bochi -- just using the word "respectful" in a post here doesn't make you somehow absolved of your original berating and inappropriate post ATS...

Your hypocrisy is just amazing. Truly it is.

You may not have liked my post, assuming you even read it, or read it without your normal prejudice against me or anything PCGS over there, but I did not "berate" the poster, and I don't think it was "inappropriate" unlike this thread here which is nothing more than a chance to take a personal poke at me and encourage more people to jump on the "attack PCGS posters" bandwagon that a group of YOU are so proud to do; repeatedly.

It appears to me that a number of posters here have chips on their shoulders about PCGS and PCGS forum posters. And this thread is just one example of that.

There are plenty of (and in fact, a majority of) non-Koolaid posts in the referenced thread on the other forum and I believe that it has been unfairly mischaracterized.

Oh, well, glad it's settled then.

The referee has spoken.

Offsides, 10 yard penalty...etc.

TTT