• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

planchet?

11 posts in this topic

I did research on coin planchets before posting this. I am still not sure because of Lincoln's silhouette outline on the obverse of the coin. Can anyone verify this? I sure hope the photos come out okay. The photos show exactly how the coin looks...I didn't brighten it. The first photo is the obverse and the second is the reverse which is blank...

I have changed the photo and hope you can see it better. I compared it with a regular Lincoln's cent and it's the same size but very thin

There are a few websites devoted to posting error coins that are NOT error coins, I think I will attempt to post this coin there but, first I have to locate the website...

151301.jpg.8bc2750e875032120e500cc6b3b45e5f.jpg

151302.jpg.9d942057ab086214ff6800e03abdc2ed.jpg

a planchet is the piece of round metal the mint runs through the presses to make coins

yours is a coin that has been struck by the mint

it is very interesting with not typical wear and possibly a minting error

is the coin flat? rounded edges? same diameter as other cents? same thickness as other cents? no design/letters seen on reverse at all? obverse show anything besides Lincoln (year, liberty, in god we trust)?

No, not anything, only the slight silhouette of Lincoln. it isn't as thick as a regular cent. There isn't a date, motto and the reverse is smooth with nothing on it. I will brighten it up a little but, unfortunately I will have to start another thread because of the response. I didn't have to start another thread, I was able to change the post...I am learning a little bit Thanks for responding

........unfortunately I will have to start another thread because of the response. I didn't have to start another thread, I was able to change the post...I am learning a little bit Thanks for responding

You don't need to start another thread. Just keep adding additional comments and/or photos to this thread.

Chris

I live in a small town and the coins I have are old. It's hard to imagine anyone would do that but on the other hand this is a small world and coins can end up anywhere. I have a dominion of Jamaica coin that was in a roll of coins I purchased from the bank. Canadian coins? I am surprised to find so many of them in this hoard. Are they still circulating? I haven't seen one in years

I live in a small town and the coins I have are old. It's hard to imagine anyone would do that but on the other hand this is a small world and coins can end up anywhere. I have a dominion of Jamaica coin that was in a roll of coins I purchased from the bank. Canadian coins? I am surprised to find so many of them in this hoard. Are they still circulating? I haven't seen one in years

Canada is still a country to our north and still has circulating coinage, they have stopped producing cents as far as I know. Many banks do not like Canada coinage as there is always changes in exchange rate and probably some law about selling them in rolls. Many businesses near the border accept Canada coinage - sometimes at face, but depending on current exchange rate.