• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do key date get a bump in grade?

9 posts in this topic

1934-S S$1 in MS-65 or should it be 64.

I must admit that the coin might have graded a 64 if it were a Philadelphia issue. I think that the key or semi key dates get a slight "benefit of the doubt" so that the grading services can keep them their holders. This, i my opinion is more common with the Heritage-PCGS connection but I could be wrong... what do you all think?

16156.JPG

See more journals by JTO

Nice coin. As to your point, I think the opposite is true. If there is "doubt" with a key, it gets the lower grade. Same with big spread coins---doubt is resolved in favor of the lower grade. And, with Merc dimes, the services (NGC more than PCGS) won't give a coin FB if there is any doubt---and that can mean the difference between a $25 coin vs. a $25,000 coin in the same numeric grade.

Nice coin. As to your point, I think the opposite is true. If there is "doubt" with a key, it gets the lower grade. Same with big spread coins---doubt is resolved in favor of the lower grade. And, with Merc dimes, the services (NGC more than PCGS) won't give a coin FB if there is any doubt---and that can mean the difference between a $25 coin vs. a $25,000 coin in the same numeric grade.

...and hence why a service like CAC exists.

Grading should be entirely independent of "key date" status.

True, but if I were a professional grader knowing that the TPG I worked for guaranteed the grade, I'd be awfully worried about making a mistake that could cost my employer thousands of dollars. That said, I think Mark Salzberg is the guy at NGC that gets to grade the key coins anyways.

Gary

I'm sure they wouldn't put someone in a position that could potentially lose them a lot of money. I suspect that they have the most reliable people grading the more expensive coins and I doubt they receive any extra favor. Besides, isnt a + the same as "could bump if you catch the right person in a good mood"?

1934-S S$1 in MS-65 or should it be 64.

I must admit that the coin might have graded a 64 if it were a Philadelphia issue. I think that the key or semi key dates get a slight "benefit of the doubt" so that the grading services can keep them their holders. This, i my opinion is more common with the Heritage-PCGS connection but I could be wrong... what do you all think?

16156.JPG

See more journals by JTO

While I don't want to place blame or criticize the 'experts', it is my humble opinion that they do get it wrong more often than they should. I don't think it is laziness or sloppiness, I think it is ignorance and lack of experience most of the time. I firmly believe that you should not be grading coins professionally until you've specialized and studied the series for at least a decade. It took me many years to really know what I was looking at in every series I ever collected, and I am a studier of coins, nt a slab buyer, so I know what I'm looking at when I see a capped bust half in an AU55 or 58 holder that shows NO signs of wear but has flat features- if you don't know varieties and die pairs, how can you possibly know what you are looking at? And if you aren't absolutely sure what you're looking at, how can you possibly be trusted to grade a particular coin? Again, I don't mean to demean anyone because we are all human, and humans aren't perfect. I have several grossly overgraded coins in NGC slabs, same with PCGS, but I have almost as many undergraded. I also have cleaned, scratched and otherwise problem coins in straight graded slabs as well as perfect coins in 'cleaned details' slabs. Since their inception in 1985 and 1986, I have resubmitted many coins for a proper grade when I was sure I was correct. Recently I purchased a 1892-CC PCGS AU55 half eagle that I was sure would grade mint state or very close. I sent it in with a large group that I was certifying for placement in my NGC registry set (I prefer the white background for the gold coins). It came back AU58. Again, we're all human. They get it right enough that we have to accept it- it is a useful service, even if just an opinion.As for this piece- sure looks gem to me, I'd be happy to buy such a rare issue at that grade level, definitely a tough date to find that nice. Congrats on the find my friend!