• Announcements

• dena

Try the new NGC Journals!   03/22/2017

NGC has launched a new and improved NGC Journals! Available on NGCcoin.com, the new NGC Journals improves upon the popular platform to write blogs and discuss them with other members. The new NGC Journals has an improved design that makes it significantly easier to post and read journals from any device, including smartphones and tablets. Adding images has been made much simpler, and the NGC Journals now give users the ability to create polls and "like" other entries. A popular feature of the old NGC Journals was the ability to open an entry to comments from other users. This feature has been retained and enhanced — users can now comment on the same page as the original Journal entry, creating a seamless experience. Best of all, the same login can be used to post Journals, make comments and access the other features of the NGC website. Old NGC Journals entries will be migrated to the new NGC Journals soon. In the meantime, users can make posts to the new NGC Journals. To get started, create a Journal and make an entry. Unlike the old NGC Journals, you create a single Journal and then add new entries to it. Your Journal can be customized with a cover photo, and you can choose to make it available to all users or only to the users that you select. You can also choose to receive notifications whenever people comment on one of your entries. Scroll below for helpful tips on using the new NGC Journals or go to the new NGC Journals now >   Instructions / Tips To get started, you must first create your Journal and then you can add entries to that Journal. Choose Journals from the Browse menu if you are not already on the Journals page

Click Create a Journal

Name your journal, add a description, add a photo, and choose if you want all users to see your journal or if you would like it available to a specific audience only. Click Continue to move on to the next step where you can add you first entry!

Click Add Journal Entry to add a post to your journal

Commenting on another user's Journal is easy. After selecting a journal to read, scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find the field where you may enter your comments and see the comments others have posted.

Moderation action discussion
14 14

4,955 posts in this topic

This is to ask questions about or provide respectful feedback about specific moderation actions, which include:

1. Locking threads

2. Removing posts or threads with no other action

3. Private warnings

4. Wrist slaps (2 days suspension and a warning)

5. Strikes (1week, 2 week or 1 month suspensions and public record of such)

6. Banning

Note that those action that aren't visible (private warning and wrist slaps) probably won't come up much, but they're listed here for completeness.

4. Why are certain CGC employees/moderators allowed to levy week long wrist slaps without any discussion or warning because they don't agree with a viewpoint of a poster?

Thanks Arch, I like the changes.

Question

I'm curious if moderation discussions will still be allowed in CG; and if not, whether they will be moved to the new forum or just deleted. I'm assuming that thread movement would require thread creation permission in the moderation area (possibly something you are trying to avoid).

Thoughts?

4. Why are certain CGC employees/moderators allowed to levy week long wrist slaps without any discussion or warning because they don't agree with a viewpoint of a poster?

Sounds like a misperception of why a moderation action was taken since I'm not aware of those cases, but I'd have to see examples to comment.

Question

I'm curious if moderation discussions will still be allowed in CG; and if not, whether they will be moved to the new forum or just deleted. I'm assuming that thread movement would require thread creation permission in the moderation area (possibly something you are trying to avoid).

Thoughts?

I'm testing out this idea right now, but my current intent would be to disallow the discussion in the collectible boards. The vast majority of users here hang out and discuss collecting without running into moderation, or even being very aware of actions. It's only a small number of users (albeit heavy users) who seem end up posting on or over the line so frequently that it's a big concern to them. The board in general should have a place to be heard on concerns about moderation and a place to find others concerns about it if they're so inclined, but

1. It's probably not all that interesting to many people and just eats up real estate better spent on collecting

2. It's not really on topic for the existing boards anyway

3. It's a chore for moderation to find the threads / comments among all of the other activity - which sort of defeats the purpose of trying to offer feedback

The downside is that I imagine most of the people who seek it out will be whoever has a complaint, while the happy majority will just ignore it - so the feedback is likely to be pretty one-note sounding, but that's ok.

Question

Thoughts?

I'm testing out this idea right now, but my current intent would be to disallow the discussion in the collectible boards. The vast majority of users here hang out and discuss collecting without running into moderation, or even being very aware of actions. It's only a small number of users (albeit heavy users) who seem end up posting on or over the line so frequently that it's a big concern to them. The board in general should have a place to be heard on concerns about moderation and a place to find others concerns about it if they're so inclined, but

1. It's probably not all that interesting to many people and just eats up real estate better spent on collecting

2. It's not really on topic for the existing boards anyway

3. It's a chore for moderation to find the threads / comments among all of the other activity - which sort of defeats the purpose of trying to offer feedback

The downside is that I imagine most of the people who seek it out will be whoever has a complaint, while the happy majority will just ignore it - so the feedback is likely to be pretty one-note sounding, but that's ok.

That's the direction I thought you were probably going. Thanks for the clarification.

There has been speculation and scuttlebutt for years that certain boardies moonlight as moderators and use one, or more, of the "CGCMod#" user IDs, instead of using their own user ID. Is this true?

Sounds like a misperception of why a moderation action was taken since I'm not aware of those cases, but I'd have to see examples to comment.

Do you show any record of me getting an anonymous week long wrist slap last month? I would guess something a week long would have been posted by you or dena on the website so people would know who might be wanting to contact me about transactions.

Do you show any record of me getting an anonymous week long wrist slap last month? I would guess something a week long would have been posted by you or dena on the website so people would know who might be wanting to contact me about transactions.

I thought wrist slaps were supposed to be for a day or two, not a week. Interesting

5. Strikes (1week, 2 week or 1 month suspensions and public record of such)

I think the selective application of a strike is partly where the friction is allowed to continue on, disrupting the atmosphere of this forum. If you are going to allow certain board members to instigate, and yet others be called out for such behavior and issued a strike, then that mod inconsistent practice is contributing to the forum confusion what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior. And especially if they are factoring in how they feel about a forum member versus applying consistent guidelines and rules.

And that is not being disrespectful towards the mods. That is reality.

There has been speculation and scuttlebutt for years that certain boardies moonlight as moderators and use one, or more, of the "CGCMod#" user IDs, instead of using their own user ID. Is this true?

:popcorn:

I think the view on political posting in the WC needs to be changed. I've seen civil discussions get locked or poofed while others have gone unchecked.

I'm not sure how the system could be fixed. Maybe less reliance on the notify button and more attention to threads.

I think the view on political posting in the WC needs to be changed. I've seen civil discussions get locked or poofed while others have gone unchecked.

I'm not sure how the system could be fixed. Maybe less reliance on the notify button and more attention to threads.

I've wondered this as well. There may be such a fixation on enforcing the 'no politics' rule, sometimes the real intent of the discussion gets lost.

And why politics and not religion? Those two seem to have hard lines on beliefs that both can cause explosive engagements.

Religion discussions don't get as explosive as politics-not even close.

Any chance the marketplace could be eliminated entirely?

That would erase most of the butt hurt.

Religion discussions don't get as explosive as politics-not even close.

Didn't a board member or two receive strikes recently for taking a hard-line stance on Catholics versus Muslims in the Water Cooler? About a month or two ago.

Yes but the levels of insults and fist pounding is nothing like when people 'discuss' politics.

I mean people seriously lose their spoon over that stuff...

And about 2/3 of the traffic.

Traffic is not revenue.

Sell the sales forum to ebay or Amazon and jettison the headache

Traffic is not revenue.

When the revenue the boards gets is from people clicking the banner ads, I beg to differ.

Traffic is not revenue.

When the revenue the boards gets is from people clicking the banner ads, I beg to differ.

Firefox adblock plus is a must to have....

Are there any people who just buy and collect here? I haven't sold a single comic anywhere, and never plan on it.

Just saying...I do not know the polices here, but in other forums, yes this is a standard practice. As well in IRC daemons ;)

Wouldn't surprise me. The average IQ on these boards is high enough, that we could figure it out. I got a couple of guesses. :gossip:

Edited by Scturo

Traffic is not revenue.

Are there any people who just buy and collect here? I haven't sold a single comic anywhere, and never plan on it.

You can be a hardcore collector and still sell dupes and books from the old hoard. Once you are back in the game long enough, you either have to have an inexhaustible supply of disposable income, or you sell a little to collect a lot.

Traffic is not revenue.

You can be a hardcore collector and still sell dupes and books from the old hoard. Once you are back in the game long enough, you either have to have an inexhaustible supply of disposable income, or you sell a little to collect a lot.

hm

Yeah, you have a point there. Just seems like most of the people that interact here have a pretty big investment into making money off the industry than just a casual collection.

Realistically, that is somewhat the nature of the beast. CGC, as an industry, has been huge in standardizing, commoditizing, and monetizing comics. It has provided a way to stratify books in ways that I never thought possible back in the 80s. Those that embrace CGC, many times, embrace all that comes with that.

Were you able to get to the bottom of why I was given a week ban without any notification/warning etc which appears to be against your moderating policies?

Just saying...I do not know the polices here, but in other forums, yes this is a standard practice. As well in IRC daemons ;)

I've been on many boards since the mid 90s. I don't recall any one of them where the mods were anonymous. They all acted as mods using their regular screen name. Don't understand why it's different here.

Unless this issue on this board is simply rumor and urban myth