• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Encapsulated coins in a fire

4 posts in this topic

I'm a new coin collector, I have a few coins that have been graded and encapsulated that I want to keep in a fireproof safe. I know that the temperature in a typical fireproof safe will probably keep the gold from melting in a house fire, but I'm worried that the plastic holder that NGC uses to encapsulate the coins will melt and damage the coin in a fireproof safe. Does anybody know of a fireproof safe that will keep encapsulated coins from being damaged?

Thanks.

I would suggest to place any critical documentation as well as possibly various coins in a fireproof safe, inside of a very large fireproof safe.

I know that sounds somewhat ridiculous, and possibly an overkill, but it is actually a means to setting your mind at ease, short of lugging all your sensitive items down to a bank and placing them in a SDB.

My larger safe is rated at only 1400 F for approx 45 minutes. However the smaller fireproof safes inside that safe are rated at 1550 F for an additional 45 minutes to an hour.

Just an suggestion short of spending $6k to $10k for a safe that is rated at 2.5 hrs at 1400 F or so.

My theory would be to place the safe against an outside wall. My thinking is that the temperature gets hotter in the middle, the first place to get water is the outside. I even thought about putting a cable attached to a safe through the wall to the outside so in an emergency you can hook on to it with a chain and drag it out. (through wall) Just an idea I had.