• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week #631 - It's that time again!

16 posts in this topic

QUESTION: How many die marriages are presently known for the 1806 half dollar?

This weeks first place winner will receive "United States Pattern & Experimental Pieces of WW-II" by Roger W. Burdette.

The second place winner will receive "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels", Third Edition, by David W. Lange

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

[ 28 known die marriages for 1806 half dollar/b]

The mintage of 839,576 1806 half dollars reported is more than the total production from 1794 through 1805. The 1806 output was produced from 12 different obverses and 21 reverses. The combination of 33 dies resulted in 28 known die marriages

source coin world cw

Great question. Before I researched this topic to answer this weeks quiz I had no idea that there were so many varieties for the 1806 Half Dollar. If my research is correct there are forty-seven (47) known Die Marriages for the 1806 Half Dollar.

Broken down by major varieties they are as follows:

1806/5 50C Large Stars – eight (8)

1806 50C Knob 6, Small Stars – Five (5)

1806 50C Knob 6, No Stem – One (1)

1806 50C Pointed 6, No Stem – Two (2)

1806 50C Pointed 6, Stem – Twenty-seven (27)

1806 50C 6 over Inverted 6 – Four (4)

QUESTION: How many die marriages are presently known for the 1806 half dollar?

Answer: 30

We only had one winner this week and that was $ilverHawk, congratulations!

$ilverHawk will receive "United States Pattern & Experimental Pieces of WW-II" by Roger W. Burdette

Thank you for playing and please stop back this Friday for PMG's Numisma-quest question.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Third Edition of Al Overton's Early Half Dollar book, the one that most collectors seem to have, lists only die marriages O-101 through O-127, but three more have surfaced since it was published in 1990. O-128 was discovered in 1996, O-129 in 2005 and O-130 in 2007. A complete roster of these will be found at NGC's VarietyPlus webpage for Flowing Hair and Draped Bust Halves, and many of them are also illustrated:

http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/half-dollars/flowing-hair-and-draped-bust-half-dollar-die-varie-vscid-50/

Since we were all over the place with the answer could you tell us what source was used.

Congrats to $ilverHawk

I understand some of the confusion regarding the number of die marriages for the 1806 CBH. After all, there are many Overton editions in circulation. Overton fifth edition lists 30 die marriages. Several die marriages were discovered between the 3rd, 4th and 5th publication. That was the reference I used in my reply. I checked to see if any new die marriages may have been discovered after the publication of Overton fifth edition. There were none. I have not seen an updated listing for 1806 die marriages on the BHNC site.

Carl