• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your trophy coins!

107 posts in this topic

I think when someone who ask's what's your trophy coin, it's a coin that someone who has been looking for that's hard to find and if found can either make or break the bank. That being said, I broke the bank and got this one coin that might be a rare modern but it's my trophy coin indeed.?

D34F7C81-9495-4CB8-93C5-2767F05B5768_zpsb5ytbbdv.jpg

52BCECC5-351C-426D-947A-FB7D1A3C3DDE_zpsptgsvpjn.jpg

Now Im going to have to check every 71-S proof Ike I have.... wow. Nice.

I was watching that for quite some time. Couldnt justify the price to myself. Nice pickup

Thanks, I actually met Jim(segoja) with JMS Coins @ the PNNA coin show in Portland yesterday. The funny thing about it was that I went to each booth asking for any NGC Cert. Blue & Brown Ikes and no one had any, but they had plenty of uncert's with them and some never seen them cert. and of course I brought a few with me to show off. I finally walk to Jim's booth and seen a couple of Ike's with CAC stickers. I asked to see them and how much they were. He showed them to me and I showed him what I had. I told him that I was looking for one particular coin in the U.S. Mint Sealed case and that its so rare that I've only seen one picture on eBay. He told me that he might have what I was looking for and I said yeah right I don't believe you. Jim brought the coin out and my jaw dropped to the floor. needless to say we worked out a deal and I became the new owner of this coin. I felt like a child opening up a present on Christmas day. The funniest thing about this was I didn't even know who he was and I did call him about this coin a couple of months ago but somehow he couldn't get back to me.

It all works out in the end. I guess youre destined to be the #1 on that set. I'm still looking to upgrade my 73 to PF69UCAM or my 71, 72, 74 to MS67

that's what I thought too. sent in a request to change registry score on the coin. hoping they change it. now I'm on the hunt for 71' MS 66/67, 73' 66/67 & 71' FS-801 DDR. I think I'll have better luck in finding the blue Ike's before I find the FS-801.

I'm finding the blue ikes in 67 to be very difficult. I've been looking for quite some time

Can someone please help me and school me on the "blue Ikes"?

In much the way that collectors purchased proof and mint sets from the Mint at the time, collectors could purchase Eisenhower Dollars from the Mint. Proof coins were packed in brown boxes and are often referred to as such. Mint state 40% silver coins were packed in blue envelopes and cellophane and are commonly called "blue pack" Ikes.

A hunting we will go...

I remember dabbling years ago figuring it would be fun to find one of these rare redbook varieties that was un-attributed. Well, I found one that was not un-attributed, but mis-attributed.

http://maibockaddict.com/1830-o-114-r5-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml

1830O-114VF35.jpg

1830O-114VF35r.jpg

Dave, you say mis-attributed, not un-attributed. What did NGC call this large letter reverse--the normal "small o"?

It was labeled as an O-115.... :banana:

spectacular oih!

Best, HT

No doubt there. That coin is as beautiful as they come.

btw oih2w8 - you were AWOL for a while. Good to see your back posting. ;)

This is a trophy coin for me as I had to wait a long time for it to surface. Mark

1.jpg

Very nice! I love the contrast between the frosted devices and the mirror fields. Legend has a similar coin up now, but I like yours much more.

Quarters are tough to single out one trophy...so here are the two that I would have to choose from;

1892-O 25C Clashed Dies FS-901 PCGS AU55 Unique at PCGS

1892-O25CClashedDiesFS-901.jpg

1917 TypeI SLQ PCGS MS63FH I love the strike on this one!

1917TypeISLQPCGSMS63FH.jpg

I'm pretty sure I don't own any trophy coins. Maybe the coins I've owned the longest yet no longer collect the series would count as ones I treasure the most. So....

1919-S Mercury Dime that is damn close to FB. MS65

10c-19s-1.jpg

1936-D Buffalo nickel MS66 (gold CAC). Just nice toning

5c-36d.jpg

jom

Lots of great coins! While the definition of trophy has been discussed a lot in this thread, it has many meanings, IMO. For individual collections, I think it means the coins in your collection that you cherish. The trophy coins defined as true rarities in exceptional condition (not condition rarities) are priced such that many of us (me included) can never hope to own.