• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Morgans - 1882-CC, 1884-CC, and a 1888-P if you don't mind.

20 posts in this topic

My grade would be MS-63 on all three of them.

Sometimes the grading services go easy with CC dollars so those two might get an MS-64, but those are not the type MS-64 graded coins that I would buy.

There is only one coin out of all three of those above (the 1888-P) that I had actually seen before buying. The 1888-P looked much more appealing in the sellers photos (of-course), but I had a hunch that it was actually a MS64 in a MS63 holder. I bought it for just a few $'s and I think in hand a MS64 is correct.

Once again, keep in perspective that I positioned the lighting so that it would display as much 'ugliness' as I could get to evenly show with 3 LED's.

The two GSA CC's were bought still in the sealed white boxes, and had not been tampered with. I haven't made a trip out to Vegas in quite a while so I took a gamble in the hopes I might get really lucky with a 1879-CC or even a 1889-CC . Wishful thinking ... :grin:

Bill, that would explain my basis on purchase.

After opening the GSA's and looking over the 1888-P I was guessing the following:

• 1882-CC - MS64 (has a great amount of die clash and die gouges showing in the photo)
  • 1884-CC - MS63+
  • 1888-P - MS64

I have already removed the 1888-P from its holder and am contemplating breaking the GSA CC's out of their OGP but that may be the wrong thing to do since there are many that collect GSA's and would find that to be a huge mistake. I know I will not be submitting them so I will have to do something with them.

Thanks for the opinions.

There is only one coin out of all three of those above (the 1888-P) that I had actually seen before buying. The 1888-P looked much more appealing in the sellers photos (of-course), but I had a hunch that it was actually a MS64 in a MS63 holder. I bought it for just a few $'s and I think in hand a MS64 is correct.

Once again, keep in perspective that I positioned the lighting so that it would display as much 'ugliness' as I could get to evenly show with 3 LED's.

The two GSA CC's were bought still in the sealed white boxes, and had not been tampered with. I haven't made a trip out to Vegas in quite a while so I took a gamble in the hopes I might get really lucky with a 1879-CC or even a 1889-CC . Wishful thinking ... :grin:

Bill, that would explain my basis on purchase.

After opening the GSA's and looking over the 1888-P I was guessing the following:

• 1882-CC - MS64 (has a great amount of die clash and die gouges showing in the photo)
  • 1884-CC - MS63+
  • 1888-P - MS64

I have already removed the 1888-P from its holder and am contemplating breaking the GSA CC's out of their OGP but that may be the wrong thing to do since there are many that collect GSA's and would find that to be a huge mistake. I know I will not be submitting them so I will have to do something with them.

Thanks for the opinions.

If you want to get them graded, why not have that done, while leaving the CC's in their holders?

MS64

MS63

MS65

I'm curious, what benefit do you see in breaking out the CC coins ? If not submitting for grading what are your plans for these coins? Perhaps a raw CC album ?

Carl

Carl, not an album but I now keep everything in a Medal and Coin Cabinet in raw form. I am very hesitant to remove those CC's from their GSA holders and boxes so as Mark said, I either have to submit them or just sell them like they are to a collector of GSA's and they can submit them.

I do not see any submissions in my future so I wanted to get a general idea of what others thought they might grade as compared to my thoughts on what grade they might deserve (or get and not deserve).

If, and that is a big IF, I do decide to have them graded, I will send them to someone else to have them submit the coins. I do not have much luck, and chances are they would call the Mint Sealed GSA Morgan Dollars I send in as being questionable color or cleaned.

Bill are you planning on submitting these?

No sir. It has been a little over a week now, I believe, that I busted these out of their GSA holders, after giving it much consideration.

Bill I would say 64 for all three. Did I miss it or did you post he grade on the holder for the 1888 already?

The 1888-P was in a NGC MS63 holder.

None of the others were graded, but were in sealed GSA's. Key word here being "were".