• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC coin imaging services

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I am going to submit some toner Lincoln's and some coins that I wanted to have a professional picture with. Since I'm not good at taking pictures of coins. Would it be good if I bought the service from NGC? And If I should which service would I buy?

Thank you

Call me biased, but I have a better idea, which I'll detail in a PM.

Curry, if, by chance, the PM from Mr. Biased involves his imaging the coins, take him up on it. He is very reasonable and an exceptional photographer.

Curry, if, by chance, the PM from Mr. Biased involves his imaging the coins, take him up on it. He is very reasonable and an exceptional photographer.

Of course it is - follow the link in John's sig and look at his gallery. The images are beyond gorgeous.

Call me biased, but I have a better idea, which I'll detail in a PM.
Such blatant self promotion! Too bad he's that good or I'd have something bad to say! :)

I was just messaging him. He showed me his work and I decided I will work with him later when I decide to get the coins graded.

Just want to say thanks guys

No offense to NGC, they do a lot of things really well. Coin imaging is not one of them.

I can think of at least 10 different people that will get you significantly better pictures, for equal or less money.

I decided to try NGC's Photo Vision service. They do it out of the holder, so that is an advantage over 3rd party photographers. Here are two coins that Doug Plasencia did for me today that I include here -- in FULL SIZE -- for commentary.

I have two complaints regarding their product: they sent the images to me as PDF files, with the overall resolution (per Adobe Elements) as 300 dpi; and, the NGC logo is too prominent. As far as the actual coin pictures are concerned, they are nice: faithful in color to the coins in hand, and I can blow them up a lot on my 27" iMac before I notice any grainy resolution. He also contacted me prior to ask me how I want the reverse orientation done: as-is, or aligned 0h with the obverse.

I haven't yet provided feedback to Doug, but will do so by showing him this thread. Overall, I think he did an excellent job with the imaging with my sample size of two coins.

(As an aside, for those who don't know: Doug was the photographer for the old B&M/ANR/Stacks folks, and left after the B&M/Stacks merger.)

EVP

Casale%20Dav-3870%20NGC%20Photo%20Vision.jpg

Casale%20Dav-3870%20NGC%20Photo%20Vision%20(holder).jpg

Austria%20St.%20Veit%20Dav-3194%20NGC%20Photo%20Vision.jpg

Austria%20St.%20Veit%20Dav-3194%20NGC%20Photo%20Vision%20(holder).jpg

Of toned lincolns? i'm going to send them in for grading soon.

If you're going to send in a coin for grading, it may be very cost effective to try out their imaging service on the same invoice to save on shipping, insurance and turn around time. If you don't like it, then don't use them anymore.

But, Doug used to do images for B&M/ANR/Stacks catalogs. If you like those images, then there is reason to believe that he'll do ok for you at NGC.

EVP

If you are just sending coins in to be photographed only with their Photo Vision it will cost $25 per coin if they shoot the coin raw.

You would pay $15 for the photo and another $10 reholder fee.

If you are just sending coins in to be photographed only with their Photo Vision it will cost $25 per coin if they shoot the coin raw.

How does this compare to pcgs photos?

All I could find from the NGC site is this gallery. I don't see much in the way of toners.

Link

All I could find from the NGC site is this gallery. I don't see much in the way of toners.

Link

Sorry I ment price wise

Link

Sorry I ment price wise

PCGS is $10 for TrueView and $12 for reholder.