• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Hey please check these scores" Thread

283 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Good Morning.

There was a programming issue that occurred on Friday with some quarter sets and some half-dollar sets. The programmers are working on it now. Thank you for your patience.

I just added a MS67R 1962 Lincoln Memorial to my registry set. It is only the 2nd of the "top pop" to be registered (along with Hunter's Gold) out of a total population of 23. The score was only 237. In general, coins with similar populations score at least 1200 and often more than not. I would appreciate your review of this.

dcg

• Administrator

Hello, Riverguy.

In order to make a score assessment, we need a certification number, please. If you would like, you may email it to me at aemery@ngccoin.com. You could just type, "score assessment" in the subject line of the email. Thanks, and have a great day.

Please check these scores. Not sure how you want to treat this but the 1827 Curl 2 should not be way less than the 1827 Square 2. Just sayin (it is only 2 overtons where the square has 44)

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SlotScoreDetail.aspx?SlotID=13737

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SlotScoreDetail.aspx?SlotID=13738

Looking at "21st Century Type Set, Proofs Only" we see that all 5C Jefferson Return to Monticello (2006-Date) were last modified on 07/18/2013, but the PF 2013 5C S UC was last modified on 04/18/2013. Why ? It's score (PF70) is 211 while all the other years the score is 255. Shouldn't they be the same ?

Thank you.

1942 Jefferson Nickel, both MS66 5Full Steps

1942-P - there are 86 in MS66 and 42 in MS67 - points in MS66 are 366

1942-D - there are 128 in MS66 and 26 in MS67 - points in MS66 are 37

While they probably shouldn't be equal, points for the the '42-D MS66 5 Step nickel probably ought to be somewhere are 225.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Thanks for your posting.

We will look at this in the near future and will email you after we have made an assessment.

Score changes are done on a rolling basis and therefore take some time to be processed. We have a hold on score changes until after the registry award deadline has passed.

We will email you when the coins have been assessed for any needed score changes.

Hi Ali,

I cannot get my 2012 Canada $2 regular PF69UCAM to validate in its proper slot. My 2012 PF70UCAM Silver ( 99.9% fine with gold gilt) coin is in place but the plain 2012 proof with cert # 3499116-018 won't verify saying, "invalid for slot" although it is the proper coin for the slot.

Here's a few photos and you can see both the difference in slab designation and easily see the difference in metallic content ( especially in hand)

143558.jpg.5fe6421b8a97f8d4de3239282ccd6a31.jpg

143560.jpg.2745667798e7fff8061616de5d1e3979.jpg

Could you please check out the scores on the 1966 25C SMS .... All of the scores relating to PF versus PF Cameo

The PF is higher all along the board than the PF Cameo. I think those are backwards.

Thanks

• Administrator

Jackson64, your Canada $2 PF coin has an eligible 2012 slot now.

Thanks for letting us know. Also, I sent an email to your private email address that we have on file for you.

Here are screenshots showing what I feel is an error. You have higher values on the score of coins which have a much higher population.

SMS_Scores.jpg

SMS_Pop.jpg

I think those pictures demonstrate an error. If not then I do not understand why. It would seem as though a lower score would be placed on a coin that is 14x higher in population.

I might also add that it looks like it is only affecting the 67, 68, 69, and 70 now. I don't know if changes were made or not but this is still not right imo.

Hi Ali,

The 1887 3P MS 64 Maundy coin was just posted to my "Maundy on Parade" type set - thank you! However, It looks like the score being given is 201 when according to the score listing it should be 1134 for that coin. Pease check for me at your convenience,

greysoldier cs4335

Hi, is there a way to add a spot for a 1965 SMS Roosevelt Dime with FT designation to the Basic US Type Set.

There is a spot for the 1966 SMS Dime with FT, but not 1965.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Thanks for the question.

RE: **NGC: Coin is not showing as AVAILABLE or is NOT VALID FOR SLOT

You may manually enter in your coin, although it may not appear as 1 AVAILABLE COIN.

When you are in EDIT SET mode, go ahead and click on NGC, NCS, or PCGS as the grader. Then manually type in the cert. number in the box provided in the Cert # column.

Scroll down and SAVE your changes.

When you receive any automated messages that say, "This coin is not valid for this slot...," and, "Are you sure you want to save...?" Please go ahead, and say YES. This generates an automated process where we receive the same message and all of the details involved. Then with a few clicks, we can easily and quickly add your coin to that set for you. After we add the coin(s), you will receive a message saying the coin was added to your set(s). If you have further questions, please let us know.

Thank you for your interest in NGC.

Why is the Silver Eagle Millennium Set Eagle scored the same as a regular silver eagle? The 2000 Millennium circulation was only 75,000 sets when total mintage for 2000 was 9,239,132. Considering this is the third lowest mintage of the program (1995W (30,125) & 2008W rev of 07 error (app 42,000), I think this score should be significantly higher as these are hard coins to find.

• Administrator

freerider41042,

We will look at the scores for the Millenium, and we will email you after we have made an assessment. Thanks for your interest in NGC.

• Administrator

If you have questions or comments about prices for US Coins, please direct your inquiries to Keith Zaner here at NGC, at 1-800-642-2646, x 231. You may also email Keith at kzaner@ngccoin.com, as well. Thanks.

It might be a little nit picky, but I'm not a fan of SMS coins getting similar or as high of score as the business strike coin. SMS and Proof coins and made simply to produce high grade coins, whereas business strike coins are stamped using standard dies without regard to perfection. The 2014D Kennedy at MS69 is given the same score for Business strike and SMS. You could argue that the Kennedy Business strike isn't being produced for the masses any more, but it's still a standard die. SMS/Proof coins are art pieces, not collector coins...many are barely able to garner high enough of a sales price to pay for postage. I know that modern nickels have similar scoring issues, but where the SMS is given almost the same score, but slightly less. The SMS score should be at least half of the Business strike counterpart. In my opinion, SMS coins and Proof coins are similarly produced using special dies and should be scored much lower.

This really only applies to modern coins, 2000-now.

• Administrator

Kapimono, thanks for the comment.

We will look into this scoring question and get back to you. We have responded to your emails, as well. Thanks very much.

Can you take a look at the MS-65 score for a 1921-D Morgan silver dollar? The score for a 1921-P was just increased from 551 to 575. The 1921-D, with a much lower population and much higher market value, is unchanged at 507.

The point values for the 21-D are higher than the 21 in all grades except MS-65.

(added 11-04)

Set: Morgan Dollars, 1878-1921, Circulation Issues

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SlotScoreDetail.aspx?SlotID=1324

Census figures:

1921-P, MS-65 - 8,381 with 596 graded higher - 575 Registry points

1921-D, MS-65 - 2,024 with 298 graded higher. - 507 Registry points