• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Hey please check these scores" Thread

283 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We place a value on each coin that is based on the relative rarity of its type, date and grade. This value takes many factors into account such as grade, population, market value, eye appeal and expert opinion. When a set is ranked in the registry, its rank is judged based on the total of the individual scores of all the coins.

As a basic guide to our system, collectors can look to the market as an excellent method of comparing the relative rarity of one coin to another. There is simply no better indicator of how much a coin is desired.

There is, however, no one perfect source that accounts for all the elements needed to be considered when ranking sets in the Registry. Comparative values of coins in the market can appear distorted (especially at the top end). On the other hand the grades alone are a poor indicator of how much "finer" a coin is because the grade does not reflect the rarity of a coin.

Through extensive market research, we are able to provide a ranking system that recognizes the intelligence of the market, but offers a more true reflection of relative rarity than does market value, because it appropriately adjusts for market distortions.

The proof Jefferson nickel 1950 - 1964 were updated today. Thanks, however, there is still one coin that was not updated. That is the 1951. If you look at the DDO scores, they were last updated 4/2012. If you look at the same coin in the other proof Jefferson sets that include 1951, the DDO coin scores say 8/2012 and the scores are much different. Thanks.

Doesn't it seem a little weird to the registry managers that the 1879 Double eagle in MS60 is only 1450 registry points when the coin cost over $2700 and is extremely hard to find with a very, very, very low pop in any grade above AU 55. Doesn't this seem odd that it is worth in registry points about what modern MS 70 nickel with 300,000,000 coins issued that is only 10 years old!!!!!

Please get real about this!

Something odd is going on with the set scores for "US Type Set, including Modern Issues" within the slot "25C WASHINGTON, CLAD (1965-1998)".

I can't understand why 1982-S PF69UC Washington quarter be worth 3554 points, but an 1985-P MS67 Washington Quarter (business strike) would be worth only 779 points?

PF69UC Washington quarters from this period are as common as dirt, whereas MS67 business strike Washies from this period are scarce by comparison. (shrug)

I believe this change just occurred today (3/29/2013).

Thanks,

-brg

Something odd is going on with the set scores for "US Type Set, including Modern Issues" within the slot "25C WASHINGTON, CLAD (1965-1998)".

I can't understand why 1982-S PF69UC Washington quarter be worth 3554 points, but an 1985-P MS67 Washington Quarter (business strike) would be worth only 779 points?

PF69UC Washington quarters from this period are as common as dirt, whereas MS67 business strike Washies from this period are scarce by comparison. (shrug)

Thanks,

-brg

It's the same in "Basic US Type Set, No Gold (7070)". As of 3/29, points for the pre-statehoods have gone through the roof. I'm not complaining, but am curious as to why this could be?

Thanks,

-brg

It's the same in "Basic US Type Set, No Gold (7070)". As of 3/29, points for the pre-statehoods have gone through the roof. I'm not complaining, but am curious as to why this could be?

In general, I think the scores for all proof Washington quarters 1965-1998 should be re-evaluated. Whatever happened on Friday 3/29 seems to be a mistake with how high the point values are.

Thanks,

-brg

• Administrator

Good Morning.

Score changes are done on a rolling basis. We will look at your score requests and get back to you when they have been assessed. Thanks, and have a great day.

Hi Ali, I have a question on a score issue with my 1930 1C MS67RD. I was looking through the registry image gallery and noticed that my coin is used in the gallery a cool find btw. But I also noticed that of the five MS67RD coins shown in the gallery two have a higher score than mine. Upon further investigation it appears that this coin gets a different score depending on the set it is in, 602 in Lincoln Cents, 1909-1958, Circulation Strikes vs 774 in other sets like the Small Cent Type Cent set. Why??

Thanks

Chris

• Administrator

Good Morning, Chris.

Scoring is calculated differently between Type Sets and Date Sets. Please click below for an explanation.

How are coins scored?

If you suspect there is a scoring error with one of your coins, please send me an email at aemery@ngccoin.com with your cert. number and specific set.

Thanks, and have a great day.

• Administrator

Over the past week, some type set score adjustments were made where appropriate. Thanks for your interest and have a great day.

a) Date Set

b) Set: Morgan Dollars, 1878-1921, Circulation Issue

Slot: 1878 8TF

Coin: NGC 2602742-006 VF 30

c) http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=154097&Ranking=ngc

d)

e) Shows zero score

a) Date Set

Slot: 1883-S

Coin: NGC 2602743-002 VF 25

c) http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=154097&Ranking=ngc

d)

e) Shows zero score

a) Date Set

Slot: 1897-O

Coin: NGC 2602743-004 VF 25

d)

e) Shows zero score

a) Date Set

Slot: 1898-O

Coin: PCGS 27116286 MS 62+

d)

e) Shows zero score

a) Date Set

Slot: 1901

Coin: NGC 2602743-005 VG 8

d)

e) Shows zero score

a) Date Set

Slot: 1902-S

Coin: NGC 2602742-012 VG 8

d)

e) Shows zero score

• Administrator

Good Afternoon.

I sent an email message to you about how you view your set. Your PCGS coin did have a problem with the score, but I fixed it. Thanks. Have a great day.

a) Date Set

b) Set: Presidential Dollars, 2007-Date, Proof

Slot: 2007 S GEORGE WASHINGTON

Coin: PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO PCGS 11938832

c) http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=154096&Ranking=ngcd'>http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=154096&Ranking=ngcd)

e) Shows zero points

a) Date Set

Slot: 2007 S JOHN ADAMS

Coin: PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO PCGS 11940298

c) http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=154096&Ranking=ngc

d)

e) Shows zero points

a) Date Set

Slot: 2007 S THOMAS JEFFERSON

Coin: PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO PCGS 11938952

c) http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=154096&Ranking=ngc

d)

e) Shows zero points

a) Date Set

Slot: 2007 S JAMES MADISON

Coin: PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO PCGS 11940357

d)

e) Shows zero points

• Administrator

Good Morning.

This coin does show a score of 81.

PCGS coins must go through an approval process for the NGC Registry. Once you add a PCGS coin to an NGC Registry Set and SAVE, this generates a process where the coin will then be verified with the PCGS certification web site. This process can take up to a few business days. Until it has been approved, your PCGS coin(s) in your Registry Set(s) will show "PENDING," and they will have zero score.

I have an NGC-graded (VF25) 1845-O seated half dollar in my type set that is currently registering at zero points. Can you please take a look at it here and correct the issue.

Thanks,

-Brandon

how about 1843 seated liberty dimes? all VF grades get the same number of points (59). seems like a very low number, considering NGC only graded 67 coins of this date IN ALL GRADES COMBINED.

a 1964 roosevelt dime in MS66 (POP 608/206) gets 106 points, and it is maybe the most common silver coin, even in these high grades..?

ALSO, one of my coins 3601066-012 shows a score of 0 points on the registry

• Administrator

Good Morning.

The score for your coin is now displaying properly. Thanks for letting us know. We will look at the scores for the seated liberty dimes in the near future and get back to you when we have done so.

Thanks for your interest, and have a great Monday!

Hi Ali...my request is for a Mercury dime. I won't get into the strange point allocation when sets are compared like mercs vs rosies but I would ask that the 1945 Mercury dime from the philly mint get some more consideration for a star or plus designation---currently the coin doesn't even get a 50% boost in points from MS66 or 67 to a 66* or 67*.

When one considers the scarcity of a + or star 1945--(only 4 total, I believe,) then it seems logical that the points should be commensurate. A coin that has just a tiny bit fuller strike and gets a 67FB instead of a 67* is given accurate consideration considering its rarity--over 9,000 points for a 67FB

However a 67* or 67+ is given a lowly 367?..I know the points for non-FB mercs are very low on a whole, however I believe that the scarcity of high quality 1945's or those that barely miss FB designation so nearly as to garner a plus orstar--these coins appear to need some points tweaking---thanks for your consideration...........Jackson

PS: I also hope someday that the most often rarer MS68's will start getting greater respect. Some dates have 1 or 2 MS68's total yet get a small fraction of the points allocated to MS67FB's with pops in the dozens....go figure

• Administrator

Good Morning.

We will look at your request for a score correction for the 1945 Mercury dime. We will get back to you after we have had a chance to assess it.

There are a variety of factors considered in our scoring algorithm. Here is a summary, if you are interested:

We place a value on each coin that is based on the relative rarity of its type, date and grade. This value takes many factors into account such as grade, population, market value, eye appeal and expert opinion. When a set is ranked in the registry, its rank is judged based on the total of the individual scores of all the coins.

As a basic guide to our system, collectors can look to the market as an excellent method of comparing the relative rarity of one coin to another. There is simply no better indicator of how much a coin is desired.

There is, however, no one perfect source that accounts for all the elements needed to be considered when ranking sets in the Registry. Comparative values of coins in the market can appear distorted (especially at the top end). On the other hand the grades alone are a poor indicator of how much "finer" a coin is because the grade does not reflect the rarity of a coin.

Through extensive market research, we are able to provide a ranking system that recognizes the intelligence of the market, but offers a more true reflection of relative rarity than does market value, because it appropriately adjusts for market distortions.[/color]

too funny... that is the exact same "pat" answer I got when I emailed 3 times and posted a request back in early 2009..........

you did forget one part from the prior response--" we have been currently evaluating the points in several series, including the Mercury dimes and points should be adjusted soon"...like I said, roughly 4 years ago....

Here is a cut and paste from my previous request on this thread froms those years and years ago.........

Too funny, however I have never noticed this thread..I have emailed and filled out the "score change request" link 3 times combined and gotten not even a computerized reply..

Hopefully I will fair better trying this link....

Dear NGC, would you please consider raising the scores on the.....( as per the thread guidelines..)

3. A. it is a date set/series

B. Mercury Dime Short Set 1941-1945...specifically the 1945 P, D, & S *star values...

C. Fair Market Value: this is hard to determine since the * designation can be subjective depending upon a persons tastes...however I paid over $400 for the 1945P MS67 * coin alone ( I did this so that I would have--most likely--the only collection of complete 1945 P* D* and S*)...

D. my reasoning/rationale is that Mercury dime * coins are quite elusive...in fact, the 1945 3 coin combo in MS67* gets less than a 50% point bonus...however by comparison the 1946 PDS Rosie MS67* coins get up to a 300% bonus !!..To top it off, the 1945 MS67* coins are far rarer and more elusive...

Comparison...1946P MS67* Rosie.. jumps from 437 in 67 to 1045 in 67* ( and it is multiples more common than the..)

1945P Mercury MS67*..moves from 237 to 336 ( total pop of 2 with 2 >)..

Your consideration and time are appreciated..and please reply even if it is NO..so that I'll at least know that you have heard my thoughts...thank you, Jackson

• Administrator

RE: ..I have emailed and filled out the "score change request" link 3 times combined and gotten not even a computerized reply..

We apologize if a communication was lost. I checked our records, and there are currently no pending score change requests from the email address you have on file with us.

We did assess the scores for the 1945 P, D, and S coins. Any changes that were considered to be appropriate at this time have been made.

Thanks for your interest, and have a great weekend.

Franklin Half Dollars, 1948 - 1963, Circulation Issue.

There were some very dramatic changes in the scoring for certain Franklin halves this week. They look out of line. Examples:

1963-D MS-65. The score is now 9,817 points. The same grade, MS-65, but with Full Bell Lines is still scored at 453 points.

1955 MS-65 FBL. The score is now 4,979 points, more than ten times the score for a 1954 or 1954-D in the same grade.

1949-S MS-64 FBL. The score is now 8,670 points, compared to 1,138 points for a much rarer 1952-S in the same grade.

The total score for my two Franklin sets each increased by 16,737 points. Other Franklin sets in the Registry increased by over 30,000 points, without any new or upgraded coins added.

Ummmm, I think NGC/Collectors Society needs to take a look at it's Washington quarters 1932 - 1964, Circulation Issue point scores. I'm guessing NGC is redoing the point totals for the assorted date/mm.

I just looked this evening and noticed that I had gained roughly 80,000 points... without doing anything, and with a previous score of ~ 23,500. Obviously I'd be thrilled if I picked up 80K, but something tells me someone has mis-entered some values. I notice that 5 date/mm (of the date/mm I own) seem to be the problem: 1940-S, 1944, 1947-D, 1950-S, and 1953-S. Each of them have had extreme point increases. I'm assuming there are also some crazy point changes in some of the date/mm that I don't own.