• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Hey please check these scores" Thread

283 posts in this topic

I recently registered a 1832 NGC MS 66 BN coin for the registry set. The score was 1. The coin value is about $ 4,500. There are only two coins (including PCGS and NGC) of all varieties that are graded at that level with none higher. The NGC number is 1635181-013. Please help. I believe the points should be at least 3,500.

A brief discussion of point values on BARBER PROOF HALVES.

1. DATE SET-BARBER PROOF HALVES

2. SLOTKIN FAMILY TRUST BARBER PROOF HALVES

3. http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/Coins/set_detail.asp?PeopleSetID=4028

4. 1913 115654-001 NGC PF 66 CA 4333

1914 2091578-005 NGC PF 67 4141

1915 2133518-046 NGC PF 67 4141

5.I don't think there is any dispute the the 1914 and 1915 are more expensive to purchase, rarer because they are the two lowest mintages, and harder to obtain as many had been damaged, improperly cleaned or discarded.

6. So, we have much lower populations in the 1914-15 than the 1913, a higher grade in both years, more expensive in the market and yet lower point values in Pr 67 than in Pr 66 Cameo for the 1913. Scores need to be adjusted. Leave the 1913 PR 66 Cameo where it is and raise the PR 67's in the 1914 and 1915.

MARK SLOTKIN

SLOTKIN FAMILY TRUST

• Administrator

dwssws, your coin has been scored.

4ucoin, your coin has been scored.

ABBEY, the adjustments that you requested for the 1914 and 1915 have been made, although this entire set needs some scoring refinement which is forthcoming. (Thanks for you patience on this, Mark.)

In the case of your 2005-P&D bison nickels, you have the score higher for the SMS coins (in high grade) than you do for the regular business strikes (brilliant pieces). This should be reversed. The brilliant pieces are far more difficult to come by in grades of 66 and higher than the SMS coins.

The difficulty is repeated for the Ocean in View coins, but you have the scores the same for each of these.

Hoot

Recently added a Large Cent to a type collection. NGC 1619252-004 graded MS 67RB. Received 1 point. Please review. It is the highest graded coin of any variety by either PCGS or NGC. There are none tied or higher. Value is about $ 7,500.

Thanks for your help.

SUBJECT: 1907-1933 St Gaudens $20.00 gold coins. The 1909-D has 2 varieties, a small "D" and a large or wide "D", this is also found in the 1910 and 1911, Denver mint strikes. The 1913 has a variety from the San Francisco mint, the "S" leans to the right. These were made by a specific die stuck as many as 5 times by the mint. So, how can this be an error! Yet the only answer that NGC will give as to why these are not listed is "There are not a sufficient quantity in circulation and/or collector interest is not high enough to warrant a listing". Since when does a coin VARIETY not rate a listing. Where would the Morgan Silver Dollars be if Van Allen and Mallis had not taken it on themselves to do some fantastic, expensive and extensive research. I notice that NGC lists VAM collectors. Also, NGC does grade the top 100 vams. So you do recognize VAM's. Come on guys, you do list a 1911-D/D which is an error, but not the 1925 with double eagle feathers on the reverse. You also list the 1909/8 variety. Now, I for one would like to see these varieties added to the NGC listings and given their rightful place in line with the others. Dale

Arch: Yesterday, I added a MS65, 1916-S, Saint, NGC(1869803-009) to my 20th Century Gold Registry Set. However, my overall total score for all sets did not change by the score of the new coin (only the increment), despite leaving the MS64, 1910-S Saint that I replaced in the type set in my 1910 Mint Set. Can this be? I would think that both should be fully counted?

• Administrator

You mean your total registry points? They will count the highest score for each registered coin (for example between a typical date or type score, the date score would usually be higher and that's what would be used).

If a coin is used in multiple sets, it will still only count once. AND it will only use the highest available score from sets that the coin is used for. So I think what you're running into is that the MS64 is only used in the type set now, so you lost the date set points for the 64, gained the date set points for the 65 (the difference) plus probably some type set points for the 64.

• Administrator

Hoot: The scored for 2005 Ocean View and Bison nickels should be a lot more accurate now. Thanks for alerting us of this oversight.

4ucoin: Your coin has been scored. Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience.

nickelhead: Agreed, non-full step Jefferson Nickels need some scoring revision, as many have very low point values. I'll make sure that this gets addressed.

1886-O Morgan dollar in AU PL is worth only three points. This is a tough PL coin in any grade and it warrants a higher score.

One suggestion for an improvement for Morgan dollars. Break out the scores by AU and XF grades. This would encourage collectors who cannot afford MS examples of every date to upgrade (and certify!) their coins. I realize that this would require changes in the web pages, database software, and the scoring system. However, I think it would provide services not found provided by your major competitor.

For a lark, I decided to expand my 1934-47 Walkers Set and create a full 1916-1947 set...

I entered the coins that I have which are in the big 2 holders... My 1921-D Walker graded by NGC was given a score of 3. Seems a little low to me... Any ideas?

I am concerned about the discrepancies in Coronet Quarter Eagle scores. For example, the 1905-P (1985 pts. in M65) with 410 graded MS65 and 299 coins graded higher, have higher scores than the early Coronet coins (pre 1878) that have total pops. of less than 200 coins.

Plus, most AU dates from the "S" mint, excluding the 1877-S and 1878-S, have fewer than (50) coins graded in all MS grades, example: 1879-S is 1333 pts. in AU, despite a pop. of only 10 coins higher in all MS grades. This appears to be an anti-AU bias, based partly on no score breakdown for AU50/53/55/58 despite large population drops between these grades. Maybe some refinement is needed?

Are there any plans to score the individual AU grades? There are BIG differences $$ wise between 50 and 58. In particular, most gold series and in type coins like seated material and the earlier stuff. I also think the AU-58 grade should be the same as the MS-60 point-wise since most of the time they cost almost the same or a good percentage of the time more than their MS-60 counterparts.

The scores on 1901 p Morgans should be looked at to address the descrepancy in scoring between AU grades. Obviously an AU58 Should be scored higher than an AU55 or less and not scored all the same as AU50. Thank You

Lincoln Cents

Many of the coins in the Proof grades will never reach the high grades of 69 or 70. Specifically the years from 61-83 no known examples of Proof 70 coins exist. Should the Proof scores for these coins not not be shifted down one grade?

1873 Closed 3 Half Dime

1786466-005

Coin will only fit into the Shield Nickel slot in United States Type Sets. Is it a problem with the coin label or the Registry system?

This is for mint set 1897

All of the branch mint halfs, quarters and dimes for this year have very low scores for the G and VG grades. If you compare them to bust halves for the year 1839 as an example, you will see that the bust halves have a population at NGC of 256 with scores of G-139, VG-159, F-186, VF-272 when the 1897-O Barber dime as an example has a population of 61 and G, VG, F, VF all have scores of 3 and then XF jumps up to 764. This is even more dramatic with the 1897-S Barber dime with a population of only 48. That score is 3 in G, VG, F, VF and XF and only goes to 515 in AU. The market values on these branch mint coins range from the $100's in lower grades (F-VF if you can find them at only 50-75 TOTAL population) to $1000's in AU and BU. Please look over the 1897 branch mint dimes, quarters and halves. Thank you and please email me after your investigation.

Jason Winters

I have noticed that the 1891CC morgan in MS-64 has the same score as the 1891 GSA CC VAM-3 Spitting Eagle in MS-64. I do not understand how these two coins could have even close to the same score considering not only it being a GSA coin but also it being a TOP100 VAM coin, the value is alot higher for the spitting eagle. While this is not the only morgan that I have seen this in, but it was a good example to make a statement with. It makes me wonder what kind of schematics do they use to score these morgans as alot of the higher priced VAM's have the same point value as a regular morgan of the same mint/date/grade.

Why are all the scores for the 1934 Heavy, and medium mottos the same in the washington quarter sets. The Heavy Motto has a much, much lower population. Also how long will be be before NGC Reconizes the 1934 D Heavy Motto? Thanks.

• Administrator
Wow.......$1500 coin nets me 1 lousy Registry point????? Can some one just verify the a 1787 Fugio New Haven Restrike is worth 1 point in any grade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1787 Fugio Registry

foreheadslap.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Have you tried the "Request a score correction" link from this page:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/slot_score_detail.asp?SlotID=23671

?

I submitted two, one for a coin i have, an ms65 virginia half penny which gets a '1' wheras others of the same coin of lesser grade get much higher ratings. Additionally, I was looking at the 1807 bust half numbers. the ms61 has a lower number than the ms 60 and the ms62, so what gives?

M.