• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Hey please check these scores" Thread

283 posts in this topic

I think the formula is probably correct. It looks like an error in the Krispy set.

This is the nickel type set. If you check the #1 set it lists a PCGS nickel as MS 69. But if you check the certification number that coin is a SMS coin.

On the other hand Cosmic also has a PCGS SMS nickel in that slot. His shows up as SP 69. So we see two PCGS SMS coins being treated differently.

• Administrator

Hi everybody.

I need to work out these issues with Dave Lange (he does all the scoring). Last week I spoke with Dave about the scoring issues with the Jefferson Nickels. Unfortunately he was not able to get to the problem before leaving for the Long Beach show.

He is scheduled to return on June 2nd and will look at the problem then. I am sorry for the delay.

Dena, in addition to any scoring issue there appears to be a mistake. Please check Krispy's set. His coin should be exactly the same as CosmicDebris' coin. I believe there must have been an error in data entry or something like that.

• Administrator

Ok, here is the scoop. If someone has a specimen coin also designated FS by PCGS, it will get the same Specimen listing as an NGC coin. I believe the listing in Krispy's set was just an error and it has been corrected. I will make sure we didn't make the error anywhere else.

Sorry for the confusion. Thank you for bringing the error to our attention.

Hey - please check these scores smile.gif

I was looking at the 1956 proof sets. I would rather own a 1956 Franklin Half Dollar in 68 Ultra Cam than one in 69 Cam. However the 69 Cam is worth %25 more registry points.

Is that correct? If so I would like to understand why. Personally I would pay more for the Ultra Cam and think it is nicer looking...

Said it before, but Rarity in grade needs to be factored in. Have a 1984-S Olympic $1 PF70UCAM, pop is 24, 2.4% in 70-574 points. Have MS70 Community Service in MS70, pop is 47, 21.3% in 70- 2,859 points. Thats just one example. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have a 2003 NGC MS69RD PL Lincoln Cent in the registry. There are no extra points assigned for the prooflike designation. It would be nice if there were! Can this be looked in to? Also, will there be a slot in the population report for 2003 PL?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The PL and DPL coins appear in the January Census Report, the hard copy of which will be mailed out over the next couple of weeks. They appear already in the online report.

Scoring these coins will be deferred until a greater population spread is recorded.

Arch,

Can you review the score on my UCAM PR68 Franklin, 1956 Type 1? This coin is extremely rare as a Type 1 but enjoys only a 91 point advantage over the Type 2 in the same grade. Certificate #2502044-001 lookup indicates to coin is "NGC unique" with PCGS indicating (2) graded and no higher.

Thanks,

RJ

I am collecting MS Gold American Eagles. Having acquired several MS 70 specimens, and reviewing the scores in the registry I am dissappointed with the scores based on low mintages of some of the years. Overall the scoring seems balanced based on the market, but in the low mintages of the ten and twenty five dollar issues they seem to be way off base.

The twenty five dollar 1991 and 1990 for example are number one and two lowest mintage, but score well below the 1986 twenty five. Additionally the ten and twenty five dollar eagles are the lowest mintages overall but score dramatically less than the $50 eagles which are typically the second highest mintage through the years. If there is access to fewer coins that are harder to find, and and additionally even tougher to grade, I believe the tens and twenty fives need to be revisited and scored consistantly above the $50 dollar eagles.

The attached url has the mint populations from the US Mint as to number of coins made by year and denomination.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/american_eagles/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=MintageTotals

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

We'll take a look at this and see what needs to be done.

Thank you Dave, I appreciate your looking into these. The primary element are the ten and twenty five denominations pre 2000. After 2000 the coins made and graded are at unreal levels and the grades there seem ok. I attached a JPG file that has all the AGE's ranked by mintage, its on the right side of the file.

Dan grin.gif

551996-DSC01321.JPG.8fd4a05ce255873b47942d20574dc82c.JPG

While viewing the scores for Booker T. Washington commemorative half dollars in both the Silver Commemoratives 1892-1954 & B.T. Washington Half Dollars 1946-1951 sets, I noticed that the scores for the 1947 and 1947d issues in MS-66 are higher than the score for the 1951 issue in MS-66. While the ’47 &’47d BTW’s in MS-66 are tough coins, IMO the 1951 issue in MS-66 is at least as tough if not tougher.

NGC’s own census lists the 1947 as having 62 coins graded as MS-66 and the 1947d as having 69 coins graded MS-66. The 1951 is listed as having only 55 coins in MS-66. I think the score for the 1951 needs to be brought more in line with the scarcity of the issue in the MS-66 grade.

Thanks

John

FYI....

USA Type Set.....

1909-VDB Lincoln Cent

MS-66RD is picking up the PR-66RD score of 5563 points for some reason. Should be only 563 points.

Proof Mercury Dimes....

Census shows only 24 out of 11,384 (0.2% of total pop) certified as cameo. Seems to me point score for cameos should be significantly higher than for non-cameo. Thoughts?

Thanks,

George

The type of set on Registry: Morgan Dollars, PL and DPL

Coin slot or link? Don't know--it's the 1886O Dpl in grades MS 62 thru 64 (no gems)

Link to URL- My numbers are from points assigned on the set NGC uses here

Market Values: 1886ODMPL just sold Bowers and Merena, Baltimore for $8050 as lot # 2429. The "Coxe Registry Set" at NGC lists all known values with the only reported MS64DPL sold for slightly more than $40,000 (Heritage FUN)

Comments: The points do not come close to reflecting the rarity of this date in DPL and the populations are overstated with many resubmissions. The closest "O" mint that is a semi-key and has a total pop in the low twenty range (including resubmissions) is the 1897O-DPL with a point assigned in MS 62DPL of 2,754 and in MS 64DPL of 3,817. But the 86-O has only 1,213 points currently in 62!!! In terms of market value a comparison would be the semi-key 1879CC in MS64PL at $8000 or so, which although much more common has points of 2072 at that grade. The distribution of rarity, total # of MS coins, only 1 gem known suggests to me the points for a DPL should be the same for a 1897ODPL and 1886ODPL in MS 62 thru MS-64. The one gem 86o DPL sold privately for $400,000. The 86O is a VERY rare bird in DPL and 1,213 pt.s doesn't show that.

Arch, the scores for the 2005 KHD clad appear to be reversed for UC and C.

The scores being given for cameo are less than those for Ultra Cameo.

2005 scores for Silver proof are Ok.

Set Name: Morgan Silver Dollars 1878-1921, Top-100 VAMs

Slot: 1887 VAM-2, 7/6

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/slot_score_detail.asp?SlotID=16913

The point value for this coin in this set in MS62 is 1028. The coin I have is MS62PL, which is only valued at one point. It should be at least 1028, shouldn't it?