• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Hey please check these scores" Thread

283 posts in this topic

Now that the invective has slowed down, here are some Franklin Half prices from Heritage Rare Coins. I normally do not buy on EBay or Teletrash. So, these prices are more relevant to actual prices for me. The listing does not include every FBL in the set, therefore I will list what is there and only to 1955, to keep the list manageable: (these prices are all for MS65FBL coins only)

1948-P FL $120.

1948-D FL $170.

1949-P FL $60.

1951-P FL $180.

1952-P FL $140.

1952-D FL $210.

1952-S FL $1,100.

1954-P FL $110.

1954-D FL $150.-170.

1955-P FL $120.

You can see that almost all of these coins, with the exception of 1, are over $100.00. It is not Apples-to-Apples to compare the sight unseen market to a Dealer who backs up his coins and carries the expense of going to shows, etc. You guys can decide how you wish to handle Franklin scoring, but there is a good case to at least review the scores in light of this data. tongue.gif

By the way, all the $ prices that Greg listed as below $50. were for 1957-D & 1958-D Franklins, none of them were for 1948 through 1955 coins. These that Greg listed are the weakest coins in the set and I doubt that I will be buying 29 of his dates to build a Franklin set. Maybe Greg can't count and thinks that listing (29) 1957-D & 1958-D coins (the weakest in the set) compromises a set, but where I come from it does not. tongue.gif

Charles,

If I had to guess, I would say that there were some adjustment to some of the 20th Century proof coins. I lot of guys added or lost in that Type set, but I can't narrow it down for you more than that.

Keith: It seems as though we are being hit with negative adjusments a couple times a week. Because of my heart-lung condition, my short term memory is sorely lacking.

Thanks for the info. I will go back and take another look.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There was no intentional adjustment of the type set scores yesterday. Due to an error, clad and silver proofs of the Bicentennial Ike Dollars were being put into the same slot. In fixing this, the correct scores for each collection now appear.

Here are a couple of score adjustments that can be made for Jefferson nickels:

1962-D MS63 full steps:

Teletrade sold 3 recently - one for $110 and two for $210 each.

Plucked one off of eBay for $95

1968-S MS63 full steps:

Just snagged one off of eBay for $100.

(This latter coin was an amazing bargain. There are less than 10 fs Jeffs of this date in the PCGS pop reports).

Hoot

In several instances a collector is not given recognition for having coins graded 2 to 4 points higher. Example: A 1981-S SBA in PF69UC receives the same points as this coin in PF67UC? This is only one example. It appears that this is true in several minor coin modern sets. A collector with a set of PF69UC's set is far superior to the same set in PF67UC, yet their set score would be the same. Seems a bit unfair.

Another example is Proof State Quarters. Same points for a PF60 no cameo as a PF69UC. Is there that little difference between a PF60 and a PF69UC

On the Modern Commemorative side. I own a 2001-P 50C Capitol in MS-70. I know that there were a large number graded MS70-BUT 3 POINTS!!! A circulated 2001-P 50 C Capitol with a circulated grade of G gets the same 3 points! There has to be something amiss when this coin gets the same point allocation in circulated Good as an MS70. Or am I not understanding something. A circulated coin where the date and mint may be barely readable is rated exactly the same as the coin graded MS70 by NGC.

I'm a fairly new collector, so could you please explain rationale. It may very well be correct to give the same point allocation for a coin you find in your pocket and send in to be graded versus one that is graded as a "perfect coin". Just confused, please give me a little needed education. I was under the false impression that UNC perfect coins were superior to coins graded as circulated GOOD.

This really cheapen's the NGC MS70 designation, if that's all you think of a coin with the Highest Grade possible. Why spend extra money when you can get the same point allocation as a very poor circulated coin.

Most Collector's, I know pride themselves in owning a perfect coin. Doesn't say much for collecting the best possible coin in a given series, when you can send in a coin you receive in change at the Grocery Store and receive the same points as an MS70. As I said, I'm a new collector and am sure there is a very good reason for this. Just would like an explanation. tg64155@aol.com

I looked into the MS Capitol Half Dollar, and it turned out that this one coin was somehow overlooked when the scoring was performed for Modern Commemoratives. I've just entered its proper scores, and I believe you'll notice a satisfying difference.

As for the lack of scoring differential between the PF-60 and PF-69 UC grades, it's important to remember that recent issues are almost always found in high grades and with Cameo or Ultra Cameo contrast. Such coins are relatively common, and there will be little difference in scoring or in market value below the PF-69 UC level.

I would like to ask you if you would consider alteration of AU scores and further break-up of the AU grade into AU50, 53, 55 & 58. In some coin sets (gold sets come to mind), there is a significant difference in price between the (4) grades of AU. Enough, I believe to warrant an additional break-up of the AU grades. Please consider this.

Please check out the MS Gold Bullion Scores it appears that you can have a AG coin that grades the same 3 points as a MS68 coin. Wouldn't you think that a MS68 should be higher rated than a AG? I buy many coins raw and have them graded. I tipically add these coins to my gold bullion registry set and sell what ever didn't make the grade I am looking for. With this kind of point system it makes anything below a MS69 basically Worthless and destroys the marketability of lower ranked coins. Any thoughts?

rduval@rochester.rr.com

Because the bullion coin registries are so competitive, and because these coins can be purchased in MS-69 to 70 grades, they are basically unscored below these grades. This will be disappointing to some collectors, but the action in these coins is really all at the highest grades.

I was looking at some sets and looked at a set called "the freedom type collection"

They have an MS66 25c piece in the coin slot called "25c DRAPED BUST, LARGE EAGLE 1804-07," the coin only gets a 1 point. Why is that? I would think a coin that high in grade would get more than that.

Most registry sets score each coin only within a range of grades that are likely to be encountered. That's why there are no meaningful scores for very low grade coins, except in the case of notable rarities. On the other end of the spectrum, there are no scores for unusually high grade coins that are not likely to be found.

Whenever such coins are submitted and receive only a token score, the submitters should notify us to take corrective action. Now that it has been brought to my attention, the MS-66 Bust Quarter will be scored sometime during the next week.

I see the points for the 56 T1 Franklin Proof are up, but a 68 Ultra T1 is only worth 471 points?!?! There are only a handful of these known in this grade, I thought. Same issue with the 1950 64 Ultra. Same points as a much higher pop 54 67 Ultra. Doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the series.

I just noticed this in the Franklin Halves registry.

The 1951-S MS66 Franklin only gets 244 points. Compare that to a 1954-S MS66 which gets 298 points, but is only half as scarce and much easier to locate. 1951-S in MS66 is a lot tougher and should get more points than the 1954-S.

I just started a new Nickel type set. I only have loads of Jeffersons to play with. I was trying to figure out which of my proof Jefferson nickels would get me the most points.

I get over 1 thousand points on my 1942-P T2 Jefferson in Proof 67. I only get 36 points or so for my 1938 in Proof 67 which is both scarcer and less expensive.

I only get 50 points for my 1954 in Proof 68 Ultra Cam. I ended up using a more recent date Proof 70 Ultra as that netted me 201 points.

Carl,

Remember that for Jeffersons, there are two Types, the war nickel and the standard issue. Even though those pre-60's UCAM's are rare in the series, as a Type coin, you can fill the slot with a recent PR-70UC that is relatively common.

I was thinking that either the coin or the slot would scored. It looks to me like the coin is being scored. This is because I get different scores for the PF 70 and the 50s Ultra cams.

Since it is established that we get different scores for different (type 1, non-war) nickels why should a common nickel get more points than a scarce one?

Carl,

Type collecting focuses on finding the singles highest graded example of the Type. For Mercury Dimes, a 1916-D in 67FB and a 1944-D in 67FB get the same score for Type purposes, although the 16-D is hundreds of times rarer.

In this case, the proofs of the 50's, although rare, are the same Type as the common coins of the 90's, and therefore, the higher graded pieces will get more points.

Thanks Keith! I understand now.

Certainly if I was only getting one Jeff it would be cheaper modern one with the highest grade. The scoring now makes more sense to me as long as I'm wearing my type collector hat smile.gif

I just noticed this and I would like some one to check on it if possible: Is there realy a 2001-D Sacagawea Dollar graded MS70, or did someone perhaps enter a coin into the wrong slot? A 2001-D in MS70 seem highly unlikely. It's the toughest date in high grade in the series and no other dates have ever made an MS70.

I'm new to Registry concept. The idea is to give points to a coin based on it's rarity? And these points are intended to compensate for coins whose value doesn't reflect it's rarity? What this concept is saying is that there are a lot of coins that are incorrectly valued. Not fully understanding the rational behind the Registry (other than to increase the demand for high end coins), the point system seems to overcomplicate the issue and to create a lot of consternation in the process. Why not simply apply PCGS or Heritage values to the coins? The collector's with the biggest purse still take the prize either way. Apparently only coins certified by NGC or PCGS are eligible, which also explains the rationale for the concept (some might call it a gimmick). IMHNO (in my humble novice opinion).

Okay, there's a big problem with the scores in the nickel type sets. Under the category of Jefferson nickels, 1938-present, you allow the listing of the specimen coinage of 1994 and 1997. Well, if a person has an NGC graded coin for this category, it falls under the auspices of "proof" coinage. (NGC grades these as MSxx specimen). So, a SP69 coin only garners 36 points. However, if one has a specimen coin graded by PCGS, the coin is also likely designated "FS" for full steps (PCGS grades these like other mint state Jeffs, so MSxxFS), as most of these coins are full steps. Thus, the PCGS coin for that category comes up as a MS69FS coin and gets 1206 points! Same coin, different designation because of the way the services grade them.

Ugh! sumo.gif

Hoot

Do the NGC folks even look here any more? Perhaps all this is low priority stuff now...

Hello? Problem with nickel type set! Nudge, nudge.

Hoot

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYONE HOME???????????? I have the same issue with my PCGS MS69 FS SMS 1994 and 1997 Nickels that NGC labeled SP69.

P.S. I know Dena is working this but a reply here might help.