• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who like this new e-Bay feature on registry sets?? posted by Kaiser14

37 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

e-Bay feature

Ask me, the new e-Bay "feature" on the right hand side of registry set pages is an unnecessary irritant. Takes forever to load, the page "moves" while you're trying to click onto a specific coin in a set, if you accidentally pass your mouse over a "Buy it Now," the e-Bay display stays there, etc. All-in-all this feature causes delays while looking at registry sets and detracts from the enjoyment. It's not as if there is a wonderland of coins for sale either. Most/all of the time, the coin on e-Bay that is displayed is some hideous "details" scrap. PCGS has a similar feature with Collectors Corner. However, if you want to see it, you have to click the "Edit" link of your own set. In other words, it's voluntary. NGC should toss this into the dumpster or, at least, make the feature an option. Anyone think the same way???

See more journals by Kaiser14

I don't care for it, either. It takes YEARS of searching through the junk on eBay to find that ONE magical coin. It sure won't happen overnight. Besides, I know how to search eBay and don't need an involuntary advertisement. It kind of cheapens the whole Registry experience.

I'm not fond of it either, particularly since the eBay coins that are displayed are often not even the right type of coin for the slot in the set. The selection criteria used for many of these links is WAY off. It would be nice if this was an optional "feature."

It doesn't matter if we like it of not ! Someone at Ebay is paying someone at NGC to use this part as a form of advertisement . NGC doesn't care if you click on the link and its 99% not even close to the grade you collect, or because you click on the coin and if gives you another coin, because that coin is not available. NGC is just a shell of what it was !. I even contacted Max Spegle about fraud about NGC gave a plaque to a collector and the coins were at a coin shop with the serial numbers that he had on his webpage !. He never even called me back to confirm it !

15+++ years ago NGC was a company that cared, now they really don't care about real collectors !

Even the registry awards became a joke ! It should about collectors who put their effort to find the highest and beautiful coins and assembleing them. If they came in first they deserve it, not the guy in second place who has a sad story on his profile .You don't give the gold medal to the 2nd place runner, because you liked his jogging suit better.

Or a new easy proof set that has 20++++++ 1st place ppl in but someone has put together a great story with the coins. and give the plaque to them.

With a heavy heart I have been selling off my collection and will never return to NGC.

I did not renew my membership and I should be out by Feburary .2015

With a heavy heart I have been selling off my collection and will never return to NGC.

I did not renew my membership and I should be out by Feburary .2015

Can we take your word on this? After all you've displayed quite a few bigoted remarks and sets not to mention using the boards as a collection agency for your used car business. Hey, if you're so unhappy here I believe all will be happy come Feb. 2015.

I sincerely agree with most posts. As most have said, it is a pain to try to select a coin while loading, takes for ever and henders the real purpose of this site. Like someone else mentioned, we all know how to search eBay if interested in that and it is not the first choice for many collecting on this site..

Paul does make a good point however. That is that each time ebay gets a hit I'm sure they pay CS. Most coins are lower graded than what is in your set and very often are even the wrong series for the set.

TRASH IT CS. Give us our sets back!!!

Michael

Oh, and I agree. Dump the eBay pain in the spoon. Maybe if enough voice our opinions they'll listen but to complain when you're already a self proclaimed quitter does not affect change. It's just whining.

David

NGC still cares and I feel that they are doing a great job and are fostering 'real collectors'. No reason to bash them for attempting a new marketing idea or trying to make some money----that is what they should be doing. Instead, I try to give constructive criticism and let them know what I think works and what doesn't. Why on earth would something like this cause you to lose all of your passion and want to sell out such a beautiful set?? I just don't understand that. :shrug:

Instead, I try to give constructive criticism and let them know what I think works and what doesn't.

I tried that. I asked a question in the 'ASk NGC' section and it never made an appearance. A week or so later I get a PM from Slaizberg suggesting that I go to work for them for free.

My gripe was the constant stray coins in the Coin Explorer and auction results that are not accurate. I also mentioned that their links to SB have not worked in I don't know how long (but it has been quite a while) yet they fail to correct the code to adopt to the change in URL Format on SB's end. SB and TT I think are the same now correct?

His response was for me to email them every time I find an error. doh!

Let me get this straight; I pay you $x.xx amount of money each year to be able to access accurate data and your response is for me to PAY YOU and work for free?

Ridiculous!

I don't care for it. As others have stated, it loads slowly, but more importantly it often fails to properly direct me to the coin I'm looking for.

When I click on the link for a coin in MS67 with a designation like 6FS, FB, PL, DMPL etc...it sends me to a MS67 coin but not the designation I'm looking for.

I know how to use eBay and find the link annoying.

Walker fan, you and I been at this a long time.. U are one of the few who really knows how passionate I am about my coins. I have some of the most rarest and beautiful coins ever found. I even bought pgcs and sent them NGC for cross grading.

Now hashtag knows nothing about me ! Call me a bigot because of the name of my Lincoln penny set. I don't like lincoln, nor never will. There is a lot about him they wouldn't teach you in school. I am highly educated and knowledgeable and very few collectors are more passionate about coins as me. I do have a sharp tongue and I am not scared to speak my mind and tell the truth no matter the conquences .

I am so tired of real collectors getting passed up because cheaters in the registry putting coins in and weren't even in their collection ! When you notify the manager and call NGC to let them know ,they said there is nothing they would do about it !.

Walker fan, you and I been at this a long time.. U are one of the few who really knows how passionate I am about my coins. I have some of the most rarest and beautiful coins ever found. I even bought pgcs and sent them NGC for cross grading.

Now hashtag knows nothing about me ! Call me a bigot because of the name of my Lincoln penny set. I don't like lincoln, nor never will. There is a lot about him they wouldn't teach you in school. I am highly educated and knowledgeable and very few collectors are more passionate about coins as me. I do have a sharp tongue and I am not scared to speak my mind and tell the truth no matter the conquences .

I am so tired of real collectors getting passed up because cheaters in the registry putting coins in and weren't even in their collection ! When you notify the manager and call NGC to let them know ,they said there is nothing they would do about it !.

Reading your poorly written replies and nonsensical rants, one would not find much corroboration for your statement that you are "highly educated."

Paul, most every post you make on these boards is one of hyperbole, alarm, and complaint. The world does not revolve around you, and everyone is not out to get you. Furthermore, if you are only in coin collecting for the "competitive" aspect of the registry game, then your departure is probably best for your long term health and sanity. I wish you the best in your long term aspirations -- may you find something you can be passionate about that doesn't raise your blood pressure.

I have never completely understood those who think that "winning" in the registry some how justifies their existence in the long haul of life. 'Tis a sad state indeed if you can't enjoy the hobby outside of competition.

(shrug)

I have never completely understood those who think that "winning" in the registry some how justifies their existence in the long haul of life. 'Tis a sad state indeed if you can't enjoy the hobby outside of competition.

(shrug)

I second that. It is suppose to be fun and bring enjoyment. hm

Paul--Yes, we sure have been at this game for a long while. You are very passionate, indeed, and I really admire what you've done and the rarity and beauty of your set. You should never be afraid to speak your mind but please don't let the little things get to you----it's so not worth it. I know of a Walker set that is ranked very high and has been sold off and broken up several times and is no longer a complete set by any means, yet it is still registered. I don't agree with that but I won't let something like that ruin the fun for me. I urge you to do the same and continue to do what you love. You have a GREAT set and I'd hate to see you go. 2c

I don't care for the E-Bay feed in our sets as well. Don't think it will last long before NGC figures a different loading strategy and change the way it works. I am sure they are aware of the problem they have added and will figure the right software to make it collector friendly instead of such an irritant.

Paul,

You know you are going to miss us when U-GO :grin:

I think the feature on the price guide bothers me more than the set listing page.

I don't use the "set listing" tab much. I'm usually looking at my collection via the "edit" tab. I just looked at this new feature and don't seem to mind it that much.

I'd much rather see them remove this from the price guide. It can be an annoyance.

In the big scheme of things, I'm not going to quit NGC because they are trying out new features to potentially help their members. I'd much rather be with a company that is not afraid to change and try new things than one that takes the "we've always done it this way" approach.

Edited to add:

I just tried the feature via the "set listing" tab. I actually kind of like it. I can view all auction listings on eBay. I buy most of my higher value coins at other online sites, but it could be useful. Now, I may end up disliking it later, but for now, it's fine.

I'd still like them to remove this from the price guide. When I'm on that page, I'm generally not looking for a coin. I've found the one I'm interested in and am doing some research.

You crossed PCGS to NGC? :roflmao:

I also have to admit that I do not like the loading in either one, Price list or my collection. So, if it went away, I would not be broken up about it at all. I do understand that it is probably a marketing thing to increase revenue. But, if they could put it in a separate search tab?????? Just a thought.

I don't like it. I have tried to click on a particular line/coin only to have it move further down the page because of the added time for the ebay ads to run. Then I had to wait for that page to open just so I could close it, and then navigate back to the original page, Then another wait for the set listing page to completely load and stop slowly moving line by line...and then finally I click on the coin I wanted a little bit of info from. Maybe only a minute here and there but these constant 1 or 2 mins stolen from our lives daily by these type of small annoyances get cumulatively aggravating.

However, just like when NGC banished my PCGS world coins from the registry (and now I have multiple incomplete sets listed that I actually had completed)----the registry is their property to do with as they wish. If the added bucks they generate from ebay keeps them from raising submission costs then I'll live with it for sure.

As a member I should have option to view Registry sets in peace and quite. That constant jumping around loading eBay spam should be for NON members delight only.

Here here! That is a fantastic compromise.