• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Registry Awards 2014 - New Rules Regarding Obscured Sets

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Every year, NGC awards the top Competitive Sets and Custom Sets in the NGC Registry. To qualify, your sets must be registered by 5 p.m. ET on Dec. 3, 2014. Winners will be announced Jan. 9, 2015.

Obscured sets will not be considered for awards. If an owner of an obscured set wishes to compete for awards and have the rank of their set displayed, they must change their set from obscured to public by October 1, 2014.

Click here for full details

Every year, NGC awards the top Competitive Sets and Custom Sets in the NGC Registry. To qualify, your sets must be registered by 5 p.m. ET on Dec. 3, 2014. Winners will be announced Jan. 9, 2015.

Obscured sets will not be considered for awards. If an owner of an obscured set wishes to compete for awards and have the rank of their set displayed, they must change their set from obscured to public by October 1, 2014.

Why the change?

It used to be a fun place to compete by maintaining a level of security that the participant(s) felt comfortable dealing with. Some collectors might not want the world to know what they own, by having or at least the ability to have your own set “Obscured” allowed the individual collector the choice to select the level of security they wanted.

If “Obscured” set(s) are not considered for awards then the awards mean nothing, it would just be like winning by default only. Security means and has more value then a piece of paper, the whole purpose of the Registry in the first place was to have a place for the individual collector to compare and complete against others with like interest not necessarily for everyone to see what they had.

I guess the Registry at NGC is no more about the individual collector for if he wants to participate then he has to lower his security standards.

Why the change?

It used to be a fun place to compete by maintaining a level of security that the participant(s) felt comfortable dealing with. Some collectors might not want the world to know what they own, by having or at least the ability to have your own set “Obscured” allowed the individual collector the choice to select the level of security they wanted.

If “Obscured” set(s) are not considered for awards then the awards mean nothing, it would just be like winning by default only. Security means and has more value then a piece of paper, the whole purpose of the Registry in the first place was to have a place for the individual collector to compare and complete against others with like interest not necessarily for everyone to see what they had.

I guess the Registry at NGC is no more about the individual collector for if he wants to participate then he has to lower his security standards.

For those that enjoy the competition of the registry, I think this is great! Where do you see the FUN in the competition when people are competing against those that are not required to show what they are competing with? Thats like two cars racing with no idea whats under the hood. And I agree with statement above, if your security standards are soo strict, why do you even have them listed on a public website?? doh!

Here is my (obscured) observation ~ The Registry is now even a more fun place to compete and is clearly about the individual collector with the removal of the "phantom" obscured sets.

Now, let the competition begin ! ^^

Good move. Thank you. Now require pictures to win. I know, I know! too much to ask. ;)

That sure would kill a lot of the competition. Since most of the pictures are like my quality :lol:

the whole purpose of the Registry in the first place was to have a place for the individual collector to compare and complete against others with like interest

Its kinda of hard for the individual collector to compare against others with like interest as you stated if no one can see your, I mean the sets they're going up against.

As far as security well as much as NGC tries these alleged firewalls and blocks are no more than tricks that most people under 30 years old can Hack in less time than it takes to get a pizza.

I agree with the photos addition in order to win an award...but starting at the beginning of an award cycle(can't change the rules in the middle of the game). I could care less the quality of photos, but for me it's more about proof they actually own the coin. At any point I could scroll ebay and grab certs to register a coin under my name. That would be dumb, but I could. If someone only personally owns the coin and never actually adds it or isn't even a Society member, how would they ever know someone else is taking credit for their coin. Now you could say that the same person who hijacked the cert could also copy the photo, but we aren't here to point out the flaws in my logic ;)