• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your prooflike coins

77 posts in this topic

HT - I like your tokens. I see a lot of PL tokens, and I keep considering getting some. I just have absolutely no idea where to start, and know absolutely nothing about them.

Hi Jason,

For Conders, the place to start would be with Gary Groll of Groll Coins (do a google search). Just let him know you are interested in the PL's and he will find them for you. But first, go to http://www.ctcc.info/ for more info on these interesting tokens.

Best, HT

I wish PCGS would label more series as Prooflike. Classic Commemorative series would be my first choice.

I've tried to reason with them and had previously PMed Don Willis to no reply. Another poster started a thread ATS asking for the same thing, and I mentioned the PM and said that PCGS didn't seem interested. Don was very ugly with me as a result. Go figure...

A couple more PL pieces. PL in my opinion. I have a bunch of 96D quarters, all in PL condition, I'm assuming they're extremely common.

902dd881-d0b8-4700-a45d-e102b4147874_zpse35b5ed8.jpg

5d13eeb2-0a10-4046-a7ff-ca8a5671d6da_zpsdf24ac2e.jpg

Not as PL as the Washies but hammered and gleaming with luster.

d2036d45-b608-428a-8359-6d501a9e923b_zpsc1c19638.jpg

2d538f1f-a9e9-4bba-a152-401528ecd9ce_zps2e974d9d.jpg

I've got DMPL dollars!

JPA868obverse.jpg

JPA868reverse.jpg

So this coin does 8 inches of reflectivity in hand? How about th Franklin half with all the die polish, 4-6 inches of refelction thru that heavy die polish? I had a PL MS 62 foreign coin with similar polish lines and there was 0 reflectivity on it cracked out of the NGC slab. Was like trying to see your reflection in tinsel string.

I've got DMPL dollars!

So this coin does 8 inches of reflectivity in hand? How about th Franklin half with all the die polish, 4-6 inches of refelction thru that heavy die polish? I had a PL MS 62 foreign coin with similar polish lines and there was 0 reflectivity on it cracked out of the NGC slab. Was like trying to see your reflection in tinsel string.

I have no problems with the Franklin as PL and the Sacagawea as DPL. Moreover, it is hard to accurately convey the depth of mirrors in a 2D photo. Nevertheless, there were clear patches of frosty mint luster, in my opinion, on the coins that were being discussed in the other thread that will kill a PL designation. A PL coin must have the requisite reflectivity in all of its fields. Also, I thought the DPL standard was more along 4-6 inches and not 8.

I've got DMPL dollars!

I have no problems with the Franklin as PL and the Sacagawea as DPL. Moreover, it is hard to accurately convey the depth of mirrors in a 2D photo. Nevertheless, there were clear patches of frosty mint luster, in my opinion, on the coins that were being discussed in the other thread that will kill a PL designation. A PL coin must have the requisite reflectivity in all of its fields. Also, I thought the DPL standard was more along 4-6 inches and not 8.

I don't either. There is definitely something proofy about them. Even if they don't reach the inches required. Ive seen one of those DPL sacs in hand and they dont reflect like Morgans.

A couple more PL pieces. PL in my opinion. I have a bunch of 96D quarters, all in PL condition, I'm assuming they're extremely common.

Great thread!

The '96-D is common in PL but not quite as common clean like these and in PL.

The '96 mint set has a few major surprises in it including a coin that appears to virtually be proof once in a while.

The image may not convey PL characteristics, but is does reflect text pretty clearly from 6-8 inches away. I paid $5 bucks for it years ago. I need to get these pieces off to NGC and quit talkin about it.

1ae995c6-b26f-4e38-9b0d-b1416f7503a0_zps940af3c6.jpg