• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first 100% Complete Registry Set!!

16 posts in this topic

Congratulating a major milestone

Hello all,

I just wanted to share with everyone that I completed my first 100% Completion Registry Set today, my Ottoman Empire Nickel 20 Paras. While I still technically need one non-competitive issue ( which is so rare I may never get an opportunity to buy one, but if I did I would pounce on it!!) I have all of the issues which are scored and one of the non-competitives. This set has been a labor of love, and has been in the making as a collection since 2009 and a Registry pursuit since 2012. So, if you're of a mind, please give my first complete set a look and check out some absolutely gorgeous coins!

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=139000

I hope all of you guys are reaching your goals as well!!

Best Regards

~Tom

See more journals by Mohawk

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words and for checking them out! And good thought on the paragraph breaks Jack.....I went back into that set and inserted them. When I first made the set up, I didn't know that the description would take paragraph breaks, and when I learned, I guess I never got around to adding them doh!

But I fixed it.....it should be much better now!! And I will definitely makes sure

that I use them in my thesis :grin:

And David....I can read very little of the Ottoman -script myself!! Just enough to recognize mintmarks and pick up a few inscriptions. It's an extremely cumbersome and difficult alphabet, to the point that very few everyday Ottomans used it themselves!! They used a modified Latin alphabet which later became the official Turkish alphabet under Ataturk.

But seriously though guys, thanks a bunch!!

~Tom

A great collection with very interesting and informative documentation. The photos are quite nice also.

Congratulations on the completion. Something that not many of us accomplish even though we try very hard.

Michael

Congratulations Tom! One of the nice aspects of completing a set like yours is that you may well have the best set of these to be found anywhere on the face of the earth! Enjoy your set, it is an amazing accomplishment. I hope you eventually find that last non-competitive piece. All the best!

Gary

Congrats Tom !

You have put together a truly great set that is superbly documented, a great history lesson!

Also liked your reference to the Young Turks, which was very interesting,you hear this phrase quite often , especially in sports when a young player is looking to break in and make his mark.

Now we all know the historical origin of this expression.

Much continued success my friend !

Rich

Tom-

I want to take this opportunity to personally congratulate you on a wonderful accomplishment----it certainly expanded my horizons and I am just blown away by the rarity of some of the coins in the set. I couldn't be happier for you.

Personally, I have also been reaching my goals and, while I feel extremely fortunate, there is still a lot more to do. It is amazing what a little time, research and hard work can do! We can achieve MORE than we ever thought to be possible.

Continued success, my friend. :)

WF

Jack Robinson,

Thanks so much for checking the set out and for the kind words and encouragement!! I hope you're reaching your goals as well!

~Tom

Michael,

Thanks for the kind words!!! And thanks for compliment on my photos as well!! I do everything myself, and while I know I'm not up to the snuff of amazing photographers like Gary, it's good to know that my photos serve the purpose. I try my best, and I am learning as I go. Completion is a very nice feeling, and I hope you're achieving your goals as well!!

Gary,

Thank you as well for the kind words!! And it's amazing to think that my little project might be the best on the earth.......that's a huge and awesome thought! And thanks for the well-wishes in locating that last non-competitive issue!! I hope I locate one too, and my promise to all of my friends here is this. If I do manage to locate the 1327/7 El-Ghazi variety, I will give it a proper welcome and introduction by writing it a the coin titler. :grin:

~Tom

Rich,

And now I thank you for the kind words my friend. Coming from so many of the people that I consider great collectors, colleagues and friends on here ( and that is everyone who has responded!!) it has really meant a lot and has made my little victory so much sweeter!!

I'm also glad that I was able to shed some light on the origins of the "Young Turk" phrase. That's exactly where it comes from.

Now onto finish the other 3 Nickel Para denominations.......

~Tom

erwindoc,

Thanks so much for the encouragement and congratulations!! It means a lot!

~Tom

Walkerfan,

Thanks so much for the kind congratulations and for checking out my set. It's been quite the project, to be sure, and it makes me so happy that all of your guys have checked it out and enjoyed it. I see that I'm achieving one of my main goals in participating in the Registry, which is sharing some beautiful, historic and fun World coin issues that may not be as well known as some US coin issues, but offer many great things to collectors that enjoy them. But this set is one of my most important.....I'm an Ottoman Nickel Fan much like you are a Walkerfan!!

I'm so glad that you've been reaching your goals as well. You do have a very fine collection of Walkers, I must say. Everyone who has responded here has some very fine collections.....and I have looked at sets from each and every one of you at some point or another and I've greatly enjoyed them all. This is the best numismatic community going, bar none, and we all do our parts that make it that way!! Continued success to you as well Walkerfan, and to everyone else as well.

And Rick.....don't think I forgot you!! Thanks for the thumbs up buddy!! I hope all is going well in your collecting as well!!!

One last time, thank you so much, everyone!! This has been such a great milestone. Now let's hope NGC thinks it's nice enough to give me one of those awesome plaques for it like Rich got for his Journals......

~Tom

Hi Jack,

Congratulations on the set. I went back and looked at your Registry Sets of the milled 8 reales and also on the Charles III 8 reale set. You have a very impressive collectionand also clearly know what you're doing with the Portrait 8's (as well as the Columanros).

Also you put a lot of good reasearch into the coins. The registry set is a a very nice way of showing off one's collection. It's a major hassel to show things off physically and also a little risky so the on-line collection is very good. What sources did you use for your research-- I'd like to learn more about this era.