• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 S Morgan Silver Dollar: Is it a reverse 1879?

12 posts in this topic

I found this morgan silver dollar in some of my dads items and after a little research think it may be a reverse side version. Since i dont have a experience in coin grading or coins at all was wondering if some one could help me out.

148511.jpg.b0eeffec480790f4f584dc6e484ed3c7.jpg

148512.jpg.b04879301cff7f601a335a47222f6fd3.jpg

No, it is the reverse of 1878.

Here are the two coins:

Here is the reverse of 1879. The breast feathers are more rounded.

1878DolRev79O.jpg1878DolRev79R.jpg

Sorry I don't have a photo of 8 tail feather reverse handy.

Welcome to the forum.

That is a reverse of 1878 and I don't think the 1878-S comes with a reverse of 1879.

Are you perhaps thinking of an 1878 or an 1879-S and not an 1878-S?

To be honest i am not informed enough on coins especially the variants.

So this is a Morgan Silver Dollar 1878 S - no variance....correct?

Any thoughts on the grade and possible value?

thanks for your input.

To be honest i am not informed enough on coins especially the variants.

So this is a Morgan Silver Dollar 1878 S - no variance....correct?

Any thoughts on the grade and possible value?

thanks for your input.

Correct. It is accurately named as (just) an 1878-S Morgan Dollar.

It looks like approximately MS63 quality to me and worth roughly $70 wholesale/$85 retail.

To go into the historical aspects of this, the Philadelphia Mint issued the first Morgan dollars which had 8 tail feathers. Then they turned to the 7 tail feather design, which it also used for the dies the Philadelphia facility prepared for the branch mints. Toward the end of 1878 the design was changed to the "reverse of 1879"coins which were not sent to the branch mints until 1879. It is for that reason that your 1878-S dollar can only be found with the 7 tail feather design.

There are 1879-S dollars with the 7 tail feather design and "reverse of 1879" styles. There same can be found in 1880-CC dollars.

Did the price tag say 4 bucks?

Given the looks of the 2X2, that price was in line with the late 1960s. The 1878-S was considered to be a very common date. I remember when I attended the 1964 World's Fair I was given bright new 1878-S dollar as a ticket to put in the turnstiles of an attraction. I don't think that there was any way that I could have kept it, but it was impressive for me to see as a 15 year old collector.

Alvin,

It seems to me that you would have a nice keepsake there with a NCS preservation and grade. The fields look clear with the exception of what I call mist residue from being in that 2X2 for 50 years. Of course they will clear that rust off from the staple. The cheek looks swell with a few slides at the lower facial. May even grab a MS64. :)

Rick

Alvin,

It seems to me that you would have a nice keepsake there with a NCS preservation and grade. The fields look clear with the exception of what I call mist residue from being in that 2X2 for 50 years. Of course they will clear that rust off from the staple. The cheek looks swell with a few slides at the lower facial. May even grab a MS64. :)

Rick

It does look like a nice coin! But,

it really makes no sense (price-wise; i'm assuming you're asking about the coin's value cause you're planning on selling it..?) to send it in to be graded, and DEFINITELY not to send it in to conservation.

Assuming the coin did grade MS64, and worth about $100.

you'd have already spent over HALF of its FMV on the grading fee, handling fee, shipping back and forth, and conservation fee.

If the coin grades MS63 or lower, it would make more sense selling it for its melt value than to spend $60 on the fees mentioned above and then sell it for $70.....