• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If At First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try, Again!

12 posts in this topic

The day I stop learning or wanting to learn is the day I need to do something else.

I have enjoyed the many responses to my last post about an 1870 half-dime I recently purchased. I particularly liked the comments concerning the photographs I took of the coin. That said, I want to personally thank users wdrop, Walkerfan, and RWB for their input.

There are many people on these boards whose opinions and experience I greatly respect. If they say people listen when EF Hutton speaks, I listen when the users on the Collectors Society boards speak.

For one reason or another I have had a devil of a time photographing this coin. Listening to the users I already mentioned, I began to think that I could do better. With that I went to my old 5000 kelvin lamps and adjusted my white balance accordingly. I previously had my lights at a low angle relative to the coin. In the past I have had success with the lighting at this angle but not this time.

This time I set both lights so that they pointed as straight to the coin as possible. This literally bathed my coin with light and I had to set my f-stop one step up from the previous setting of f4.5 to f5.6 and my ISO back to 100 from ISO 200.

I must say that the results are phenomenal as the natural colors popped while at the same time the contrast remained sharp. I hope you like the latest version I am posting and I want to admonish you all, no matter what it is, to keep learning!

Gary

15669.jpg

See more journals by gherrmann44

Now I can clearly see why that is a very, very nice pickup.

Great coin - Great pics! (thumbs u

Gary,

I can say that I truly enjoyed your first post and the photos.

I have to say that this attempt is absolutely phenomenal. Great job as always and this is a great addition to you 7070 set.

Keep up the good work my friend.

Michael

Your newest pics are tremendous. The details are sharp and well illuminated (no shadows) but with no glare, either, and that bit of lime color on the left facing obverse, which I really like btw, shows up much better. Well done!

Hi Gary,

Very nice photos and a nice coin!! Congrats on both!

~Tom

Wonderful pics of a wonderful coin Gary. Nice and crusty like I've grown to love and that lemon/lime area on the obverse left is uniquely/distinctively amazing..congrats--you have a wonderful eye for coins and imaging.