• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Latest NEWP and Shes a Dandy!

19 posts in this topic

I believe that this half-dime combines eye appeal and value. As such it is a perfect candidate for my 7070 type set.

Most of you that follow me know that among other things Im a type coin collector. Well My latest new purchase for that set is a single year 1837 no-stars/small-date PCGS AU-55 half-dime. With this coin I believe that I balance eye appeal and value which are now the prime objective for this set. Furthermore, this coin is as close to a Gobrecht Dollar as I am likely to come even though there is no eagle on the reverse. For that I will have to get a nice flying eagle cent!

On another note everyone have a happy and safe Fourth of July!

Enjoy!

Gary

15663.jpg

See more journals by gherrmann44

Gary---Congrats ----That is a VERY pretty coin.

I am a Gobrecht fan, myself, and I particularly like the 'no stars' obverse design.

They look just as cool on dimes and half dimes as they do on the dollar. :thumbsup:

Gary,

Very Nice addition to your type set! (After all, who in their right mind would collect a whole set of dates and mints of those tiny things? - Things these old eyes can't even really see without assistance...)

Alan

Very nice addition.

Is the picture accurate or is the exposure a little darker than the actual coin?

Very nice addition.

Is the picture accurate or is the exposure a little darker than the actual coin?

As they say, there is nothing like a coin in the hand and this coin is no different!

In fact, this coin was a bugger to photograph. I took dozens of pictures to get this shot and it's still far short of how truly beautiful this coin is.

In photography there is a lot of give and take. In fact it's like sacrificing one thing to accentuate another. That said, I wanted to capture some of the color without it looking artificial while at the same time keeping a sharp contrast between the obverse device and the field. Thus, the exposure (Shutter speed 1/100, f 4.5, ISO 200) is slightly darker to accentuate this contrast.

Oddly enough, the reverse is very close to how the coin looks in the hand. I'm attaching an unedited photo of the obverse of my coin.

FYI, This picture is shot with two 60 watt incandescent bulbs rated at 2800 kelvin. With most of my pictures I use a daylight bulbs rated at 5000 kelvin but on this coin I liked the incandescent light better.

Gary

DSC_1526_zps6896b51a.jpg

Yes it is. The problem I have is my taste in pictures. I don't like the hot spots of light in the drapery creases. I like a more evenly lit picture, which my exposure gives. Yet even between your picture and mine, they still don't approach the look of this coin in the hand which is stunning (probably a better word to use in describing this coin than dandy).

Gary

Something that might help is to imagine you are lighting a live model that happens to look like the coin. In this instance, your key light (the dominant light source) should be on Liberty's face and specifically coming from the direction she is facing.

If you could light this design in a non reflective medium, there would be a separate light on the shield (from the front), and another low and to the right to emphasize the legs...etc., etc.

Of course, it's a reflective metal object and you have to make compromises.

I love this simple design and want to own one someday. Congrats on your attractive new piece!

Are you using the registry for your 7070? If so, I'd like to view it.

I love this simple design and want to own one someday. Congrats on your attractive new piece!

Are you using the registry for your 7070? If so, I'd like to view it.

Sure, here's the link:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=73886&Ranking=all

Umhhhh, I hope you're kidding. :)

The ebay version has the saturation pumped way up. I was poking fun at ebay sellers and their tendency to exaggerate photos. The coins should look more like the version I posted earlier. (I was going to add stickers saying "LQQK" and "SUPER DEAL" etc., but got bored with it.

Got to run....BBQ with The Donald then private fireworks.