• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FSHO: 1922-D NGC MS-64* STAR Proof Like $399

49 posts in this topic

I like the Peace dollar.

However, It's not properly listed.

It's not anymore of a PL dollar than this one - for the Morgan comparison

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morgan-Dollar-1880-S-NGC-MS-64-Star-PL-Obverse-Old-US-Silver-Coin-EDE13-01-/161341207665?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2590af7471

As I said, I like the Peace Dollar but to call it PL is incorrect.

wow, how did that not make PL, that is crazy

That is why there are only 2 PL Peace dollars designated.

What dates are the coins with these designations? I'd like to know considering the somewhat "controversial" points being made in this post. :devil:

Both are 34-D ; 1 in MS63, 1 in MS64

In addition, I've seen an ANACS peace dollar is MS62PL. The date, as I recall, was 34-D as well.

Edited to add: it is on eBay ATM

Here's one in an ANACS holder. But from the pics I can't see it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRESH-PICTURES-1934-D-PROOFLIKE-Peace-1-ANACS-MS-62-PL-DMPL-RARE-/231270393875?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35d8ca2813

Yeah that's the one I was referring to. I did edit my previous message to add that it is on eBay at the moment. The seller's "new, fresh pictures" are still terrible. You'd think he would try a little harder, especially when the asking price is $1,500. This way, it's gonna still be on ebay in 2018

I like the Peace dollar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morgan-Dollar-1880-S-NGC-MS-64-Star-PL-Obverse-Old-US-Silver-Coin-EDE13-01-/161341207665?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2590af7471

It's the date.

The standards are quite different for 79-S, 80-S, 81-S, 82-S and even a bit for 78-S Morgan dollars, if NGC/PCGS admit it or not. Slap an "o" or "cc" on this coin and it goes PL, no doubt.

What dates are the coins with these designations? I'd like to know considering the somewhat "controversial" points being made in this post. :devil:

In addition, I've seen an ANACS peace dollar is MS62PL. The date, as I recall, was 34-D as well.

Thanks for the info there. It seems then the 34D is really the only date that passes the PL "muster" so to speak. Wasn't that what this discussion was about in the first place?

jom

Here's one in an ANACS holder. But from the pics I can't see it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRESH-PICTURES-1934-D-PROOFLIKE-Peace-1-ANACS-MS-62-PL-DMPL-RARE-/231270393875?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35d8ca2813

Yeah that's the one I was referring to. I did edit my previous message to add that it is on eBay at the moment. The seller's "new, fresh pictures" are still terrible. You'd think he would try a little harder, especially when the asking price is $1,500. This way, it's gonna still be on ebay in 2018

That one has been listed on ebay off and on for several years now. I've been following it - the seller is completely unwilling to compromise on price, and his asking price is just too high.

I like the Peace dollar.

It's the date.

The standards are quite different for 79-S, 80-S, 81-S, 82-S and even a bit for 78-S Morgan dollars, if NGC/PCGS admit it or not. Slap an "o" or "cc" on this coin and it goes PL, no doubt.

I do agree that those early date Morgans from SF are held to a different standard.

The CC's do get some "extra love".

I like Jason's response on this.

PL is determined by the specific amount of reflectivity. If a coin has it - it is PL. If not, well.....It is what it is (shrug)

That one has been listed on ebay off and on for several years now. I've been following it - the seller is completely unwilling to compromise on price, and his asking price is just too high.

I agree on the ANACS Peace Dollar. Moreover, if it were truly PL, the seller (who was selling it before NGC made submitters break coins out of old ANACS slabs before grading them as crossovers) would have already attempted a crossover as there would have been no real risk to him. Moreover, I am not sure how he expects the item to sell with his poor images.

Thanks for the info there. It seems then the 34D is really the only date that passes the PL "muster" so to speak. Wasn't that what this discussion was about in the first place?

jom

Actually, this is a BST listing and we've taken it to a discussion on "what constitutes PL for Peace Dollars".

Maybe it's time for a different thread in the "General discussions" forum.

Although the OP might like the additional bumps he got today ;)

It's funny how that brilliant mind Crypto claimed 22-Ds don't come prooflike and I have now seen 5 including owned one. Nice coin JC

I don't see a PL designation on NGC's grading label. So it's not like the coin in this thread proves Crypto wrong.

And if Peace Dollars were held to the same standard as Morgan dollars for purposes of the PL designation, I don't know that there would be any Peace Dollars designated such.

That's all well and good except Crypto has a 1926 coin not designated PL which was his reference point and he considers PL much in the same way that those of us not looking for an argument for the sake of arguing on relative circumstantial semantics consider the above coin and others like it PL.

I don't mean this in a rude way (and I especially have nothing against you or the OP), but who cares what Crypto thinks about a semi-PL coin that he has? There are tons of other collectors on eBay through the years supposedly selling PL Peace Dollars that would fail to meet the criteria to be considered PL pieces.

Nothing in this post should be construed as opining either way on the coin in the original post.

It's funny how that brilliant mind Crypto claimed 22-Ds don't come prooflike and I have now seen 5 including owned one. Nice coin JC

I don't see a PL designation on NGC's grading label. So it's not like the coin in this thread proves Crypto wrong.

And if Peace Dollars were held to the same standard as Morgan dollars for purposes of the PL designation, I don't know that there would be any Peace Dollars designated such.

That's all well and good except Crypto has a 1926 coin not designated PL which was his reference point and he considers PL much in the same way that those of us not looking for an argument for the sake of arguing on relative circumstantial semantics consider the above coin and others like it PL.

I don't mean this in a rude way (and I especially have nothing against you or the OP), but who cares what Crypto thinks about a semi-PL coin that he has? There are tons of other collectors on eBay through the years supposedly selling PL Peace Dollars that would fail to meet the criteria to be considered PL pieces.

Nothing in this post should be construed as opining either way on the coin in the original post.

Well my point was kind of alluding to the fact that Corupto goes around calling his coin PL and declaring himself a semi expert on Peace dollars while shelling out false info and no one bats an eye. We call this coin PLor Semi PL because chances are very few here will ever even see a true PL let alone is going to own one, and we get jumped down our throat. No one here is naïve enough to think we are calling this PL in the same way that a morgan is but when youre talking about a population of less then 10 total true PL maybe even less than 5, then something approaching that takes on a special-ness that some of us have come to accept as PL.

The continued reference to what the TPGs consider PL is irrelevant, and the standard itself is arbituary anyway. We all know what we are referring to. Just as Physicsfan refers to his coin as PL for short, rather than sit there and write out the longer explanation about what makes the coin unique. We all know its not mirrored like a morgan but we accept that it has PL qualities without reaching full reflectivity, but we don't jump up and argue when you shorthand it as PL rather than the full description.

Well my point was kind of alluding to the fact that Corupto goes around calling his coin PL and declaring himself a semi expert on Peace dollars while shelling out false info and no one bats an eye. We call this coin PLor Semi PL because chances are very few here will ever even see a true PL let alone is going to own one, and we get jumped down our throat. No one here is naïve enough to think we are calling this PL in the same way that a morgan is but when youre talking about a population of less then 10 total true PL maybe even less than 5, then something approaching that takes on a special-ness that some of us have come to accept as PL.

The continued reference to what the TPGs consider PL is irrelevant, and the standard itself is arbituary anyway. We all know what we are referring to. Just as Physicsfan refers to his coin as PL for short, rather than sit there and write out the longer explanation about what makes the coin unique. We all know its not mirrored like a morgan but we accept that it has PL qualities without reaching full reflectivity, but we don't jump up and argue when you shorthand it as PL rather than the full description.

"Corrupto" :roflmao:

To be clear, I like AJ's coin very much, and it is superior to the undesignated coins I often see paraded around on the internet as PLs in terms of reflectivity of the surfaces. My criticism was aimed at the part of your post citing a private collector with no or unknown credentials as a source. He might very well have expertise that I am unaware of, but we have no way of knowing that. And calling oneself and expert does not make it so. There must be some objective criteria to substantiate those claims. Mark Feld, an ex-NGC Grader, ex-CAC cameo grader, coin dealer for several years, and in an expert position at a large respected auction house has those credentials. To my knowledge Crypto does not. When he does (if he ever does) match those credentials, then I would consider his opinion to be more persuasive. ;) That's all I was saying, and it sounds like you agree.

OK gotcha. My reference to that specific private collector was in a sarcastic tone which I can see now may not have been clear in text.

If you want to argue the definition of PL peace dollars, please do so in a separate thread, as you are polluting my listing.

With that out of the way, let me state that whoever buys this coin will be pleasantly surprised by the cameo contrast on the reverse of this coin. This coin doesn't come around very often. I know what I have, and I have priced it accordingly.

Thanks,

AJ

BUMP