• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That one Coin.......

13 posts in this topic

For the Lincoln Lover in us all....

It all started in 1959 as I played at the base of a fire escape at the elementary school that was across the street from where we lived in Union South Carolina. I was digging in the sand and found two pennies. One a normal Wheat ear and then to my surprise I found a penny with a different reverse on it.....the new memorial reverse. So I started, as most of us do, collecting Lincoln Cents (or pennies as I called them at that time). Over the years my collecting was strictly hit and miss until I retired in 2012. I had always liked proof coins so that is my area of interest now. Enough history....let's get to the meat of the journal entry: The Lincoln Cent....Of all the coins to be the first to stun me in my "new era of collecting" it was the Lincoln Cent. A proof coin, the year 1941. An EBay purchase. Something told me this was a special coin. I had no idea what I had!! When I got the coin I looked closely at it with my Bausch and Lomb Hastings triplet and couldn't believe my eyes. The coin was perfect in every way...it was a deep red, with sultry mirrors in the field and a super strong strike. The Coin had been well taken care of over the 70+ years of its captivity. I wish I was a good photographer....I'm not. I have done my best to upload a picture that, just by looking, you can tell it is special. I'll let you look it up...PF67 1941 Lincoln Cent. For the Lincoln lover in us all.....

15646.JPG

See more journals by sowersb

Union is almost as small as Woodruff! And then you have Carlisle....If you know where Carlisle is you really know your South Carolina Geography!!!

Bud

Union is almost as small as Woodruff! And then you have Carlisle....If you know where Carlisle is you really know your South Carolina Geography!!!

Bud

I live in Pickens County,SC you grew up close to here ---- HOME ----!! :)

WOW!!! I had NO IDEA they were worth $6250!! That is SWWEEEET!! It is beautiful and a quality investment grade piece!! :applause: How did you happen onto it?? I would love to hear the story!

Very nice looking coin and a hard to come by Pop 7 coin! I wish I had one for my set...

Great addition to your set. Good luck on finding the remainder,

Michael

If it hadn't have been for another gentleman/coin collector that I have grown to trust I would have never seen the coin. I will always be thankful that I was there when it came around and it will be cherished for many years to come. I look at this as not only buying a great coin but also as a challenge to keep it in good shape for future viewing.

Bud

It would surprise many to find out that these proof Lincolns are among true 20th century condition rarities. Plus it is encapsulated in the best holder to preserve its original color. Keep that baby under lock and key. You have a 10k coin in your possession.