• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow! I gained SEVEN more #1* ranked sets over night by doing virtually** nothing.

12 posts in this topic

*"Obscured sets are not eligible for awards and will not receive a rank. They are placed according to their score."

Check out the news story at http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=4055&Obscured-Sets-in-the-NGC-Registry.

I've now got the highest rank in seven more competitive sets, but other sets with higher scores are still listed above mine. I appreciate what NGC has done, and I think they're on the right track, but it does taint one's improved rank a bit. It's a lot like all of the sports records that have an "*" by them to indicate that the record may be questionable or qualified in some way.

If folks want to keep their sets obscured for whatever reason, that's fine with me. Just don't include them in the registry at all as long as they're obscured. After all, what's the point now that these sets are not ranked and are not eligible for awards.

I really hope that the new NGC policy will encourage those with obscured sets to open them up. It's nice to have a #1 set, but I'd rather have an open registry.

**OK, I did add one coin last night (picture below), but without the new policy it would only have bumped me up to #2 in USA/Philippines 5 Centavo series.

15546.jpg

See more journals by coin928

It might be a little goofed up after they made the change. My Roosevelt set has a total 28,145 points and my collection manage says that I'm leading by 27,300. But that's not the case. My set is only leading the next set by 939 points.

The biggest complaint about obscure sets is that it was impossible to compete unless you know the coins in your collection you need to upgrade. In part this situation has been alleviated. However, if a person is bent on keeping their set obscured it is their right to continue to do so. At least now there is some resemblance of a level playing field in that you will know what it takes to become the official #1 set. That said, I'm with you, I'd prefer collectors to open up their sets. I think this rule change will help to bring some of the obscured sets out but there will always be someone who will choose to have their sets remain obscured. Regardless, across the board, your Philippine sets are among the best in the world. All the best.

Gary

I suppose all a collector with a #1 ranking and obscured set would have to do is allow it to be viewed on the day of close of the competition. They could then obscure it from view again until next year. Unless you were paying attention that day, you might never see it. Perhaps NGC will keep it in their yearly winner database as viewable. I think it would be great to see what I am up against in a few sets!

I concur with coin928.

I and others have taken the time and effort to do the photography to show ones coins and to add comments about every coin we place in our Registry Sets. When I am between adding to my sets I am all over the Registry admiring the top 5 Sets. I believe all the collectors here show a great amount of pride and passion in their collections and take the time and effort to display them.

SOOOO, that's all I got to say about that!

I suppose all a collector with a #1 ranking and obscured set would have to do is allow it to be viewed on the day of close of the competition. They could then obscure it from view again until next year. Unless you were paying attention that day, you might never see it. Perhaps NGC will keep it in their yearly winner database as viewable.

NGC does take a snapshot of the winning sets and they are preserved in the Registry Awards area of this site. A person may make their set viewable for only a day in order to win, but the snapshot of that set will be permanently viewable from then on. Even if the active set is removed or the collector leaves the site. (thumbs u

As an aside, NGC had a bug a few years ago, that allowed the contents of award wining obscured sets to be viewed in the awards area even if the set had always been obscured. Unfortunately for us, they found that loophole and closed it.

You know some people aren't doing this to compete. NGC software is awesome for organization and no the custom sets aren't so equipped. Even calling these sets a competition is a joke. All it really amounts to is money. One can say how hard they searched etc. but it's easily accomplished with just a want list at a few auction houses. There's no real achievement here unless you collect paper certificates. For years people have complained about obscured sets getting awards; now that has been resolved maybe everyone should leave them alone and let them enjoy their hobby and membership the way they enjoy it. Just my unpopular two cents.

While I'm voicing my unpopular opinion I'd like to further state that as long as dealers and investment firms are allowed to join in the registry and compete I don't see how this can ever have a level playing field. Heck, let's just post our 401k, 503b, bullion holdings and give awards for that as well.

All it really amounts to is money.

I'm with ya. A guy making $50K/year can't compete in the registry with a guy making $1,000,000/year. So for most collectors, it's not even worth trying. I guess there can be certain coins were even finding a seller can be difficult. But as far as I'm concerned, everything has a price and be found and had with enough money. Don't get me wrong, I love my coins. But for the right price, I'd sell any single one of them in a second. Maybe that's just me.

Dumb question, but why are you competing ?

I agree, this was a dumb question, because competitive collecting is not what this post is all about.

The key line of my original post was:

It's nice to have a #1 set, but I'd rather have an open registry.

In my opinion, obscured sets add no value to the collector community, and I find them irritating. I would be quite happy if NGC did away with the current style of obscured sets altogether. Collectors should be able to use the site to build sets for their own enjoyment without having them appear in the public registry. That is not currently possible. If you create a set today, it will be in the public registry. Your only option is whether or not to obscure the contents.

Competing for the #1 set in a category is really not my focus. That often comes down to whoever has the deepest pockets. I do however enjoy competing for one of the other awards such as a Best Presented Set award. These awards actually come with tangible benefits and I enjoy doing the research, writing it up, and sharing the results with other collectors.

We, as humans, are competitive by nature. That being said, I'm not doing it to be competitive in ranking (though I do look), I couldn't afford that, but I do take pride in being able to build my collection and show it off to fellow collectors. My objective is to get to 100% in my collections (I currently have 2 or 4, depending on how you look at it (US Presidential dollars, 100% to date but they haven't released the last ones yet)) and I use this website to keep track of what I need to do so.

I think the scoring system is off (Why is the Silver Eagle Millennium Set Eagle scored the same as a regular silver eagle? The 2000 Millennium circulation was only 75,000 sets when total mintage for 2000 was 9,239,132. Considering this is the third lowest mintage of the program (1995W (30,125) & 2008W rev of 07 error (app 42,000), I think this score should be significantly higher as these are hard coins to find.) NGC's reply was that they didn't see any reason to adjust the scoring for this issue. I've noticed this on several coins.

This is just a hobby for me and brings me enjoyment. Though I do want to get into the top 10 on each if I can!!! Thanks, guys...