• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many VAM's are there for a '79-S $?

4 posts in this topic

The most recent edition of the Van Allen/Mallis encyclopedia lists 41 varieties for 1879-S. The only significant ones are those having the reverse of 1878 (parallel arrowfeathers). Attributing these with the VAM encyclopedia is challenging, but there's a great new book by David C. Wang titled A Guide to the 1879-S Reverse of 1878 Morgan Silver Dollars. Information about this book may be obtained from the Society of Silver Dollar Collectors: JeffSSDC@aol.com.

OK, I have another question. I checked out a '79-S, it is not a rev of '78, but it has a small hunk of metal on the left side of the 8 in between the top loop and bottom loop, it aslo shows slight doubling on the 9. Is this listed in the VAM book? If so, is it any particular VAM. Sorry I dont have a pic, this description is the best I can do.

Your description corresponds to VAM-26, which also has very slight doubling on the 8 and 7. The authors rate this variety R-3, which makes it only slightly scarcer than a normal coin.