• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ali have you read the thread....

4 posts in this topic

• Administrator

NGC believes that it's important to offer collectors the option to obscure their sets, but we are also carefully evaluating collector feedback about including these sets for ranking and award purposes.

NGC believes that it's important to offer collectors the option to obscure their sets, but we are also carefully evaluating collector feedback about including these sets for ranking and award purposes.

Hi Ali, I think that most of us understand the reasons behind why a participant might want to obscure a set but it goes against the very reason registry sets were created. I have below the statement that greets users on the NGC registry home page:

"The NGC Registry allows NGC Collectors Society members to display their coins, interact with other collectors, and compete for awards and recognition. Participants can share their sets in one of the thousands of US and World Competitive Set types, or create their own Custom Sets. Best of all, it’s free!"

The key words here are display and share, I hope that NGC keeps this registry mission statement in mind while evaluating hidden/obscured sets with regards to competitive awards.

Before I start let me clarify that I am in the anti-obscure camp.

If obscured sets are ineligible for awards, what is to stop the owners from making the set eligible (viewable) during judging time, then putting their sets back on obscure status after they win? Maybe an algorithm can be written to make sure the awards automatically adjust when a winning set is obscured or made visible?