• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obscured Sets? Haha - Joking right?

25 posts in this topic

I will join the vote to do away with obscured sets being eligible for ranking. I can imagine a scenario where a privacy conscious member might want a place to register his coins, but if one wants to be ranked as part of the community, then you should have to join the community and open your set for viewing.

I agree, obscured sets should not be eligible for awards. Now that NGC has removed the certification numbers, in my opinion there is no reason a set needs to be obscured. I have 22 competitive sets, I think, and all have photos and all are there for everyone to view. I want to share them even if the photographer is not the best, that being me.

One member ATS responded when that question was put to him. He said that when someone found an upgrade with a low pop that it left him with a feeling of being held hostage..

I say, cry me a river and either open the set or take it out of the Registry. This is suppose to be a fun hobby.

I say get rid of them. The original purpose of the registry was to my recollection supposed to be a forum where coins could be appreciated and seen with comparisons to other individuals collections at the forefront, not the most points someone has accumulated.

If some folks are using the registry as an online spread sheet to track their coins then the collection manager is the way to go; not competitive sets.

Doug

I don't care for them in the least. Why would you obscure your set it you want to play the registry game? For that matter I don't like sets that don't have pictures. Sure I know what a penny looks like, but I want to know what your penny looks like!!

I echo what others have already said.

With the recent removal of the cert numbers, there is no longer a logical reason why the sets should be obscured for privacy and/or security.

I vote that obscured sets still be allowed by members if they want to use the system for tracking purposes but not compete, but the obscured sets should be:

1) hidden to others in the set rankings (truly obscured)

2) ineligible for "best of" registry awards

I echo what others have already said.

With the recent removal of the cert numbers, there is no longer a logical reason why the sets should be obscured for privacy and/or security.

I vote that obscured sets still be allowed by members if they want to use the system for tracking purposes but not compete, but the obscured sets should be:

1) hidden to others in the set rankings (truly obscured)

2) ineligible for "best of" registry awards

:takeit: as a yes.

I will join the vote to do away with obscured sets being eligible for ranking. I can imagine a scenario where a privacy conscious member might want a place to register his coins, but if one wants to be ranked as part of the community, then you should have to join the community and open your set for viewing.

This--I fully agree.

Count me IN ~ Obscured sets OUT of the rankings. How about making a registry component for obscured sets only...then they could compete against each other without having to look. Just my (obscured) thought.

I agree. Obscured sets should receive no rankings one the registry. They are totally useless to the hobby and do nothing to further education or any other useful purpose.

Count me IN ~ Obscured sets OUT of the rankings. How about making a registry component for obscured sets only...then they could compete against each other without having to look. Just my (obscured) thought.

I love this suggestion. They can compete against other who think their collections are too special to share.

Do they allow obscured sets ATS? I have several PCGS registry sets, but I honestly can't remember if they allow members to obscure their sets.

The opportunity to view other collector's sets is great learning tool.

I much agree that if a collector wishes to obscure their set(s) then they should not be able to compete in the registry for an award.

I agree. They should not be "competetive". How do you compete with something you can't see? I'll never have a "top pop" set but I'm proud of the sets I have and hope other members enjoy looking at them also. Get rid of them.

The only thing that I have noticed about obscure sets is that they do not account for grading company, so if you have PCGS coins and want them to count for registry points on the NGC registry then all you have to do is obscure your set. I personally think that obscured set should have there own category in the registry and should not be able to compete with the other sets. You definitely have my vote on removing them, there is nothing fun about competing with sets that should not even be on this site (aka PCGS coins).

• Administrator

WashingtonQuarter,

I just want to mention that the option to obscure or not obscure a set in no way affects scoring of a set. Our scoring program pulls data independently of the OBSCURE function. A specific coin earns a certain number of points within a set, regardless if the grader is NGC or PCGS.

Thanks for your interest in NGC.

Ali,

Thank you for the Information but I still am a little confused on the scoring of coins. When I look at sets that are not obscured the PCGS coins all have no points assigned to them and when I see the obscured sets they all have points no matter who graded them. I was under the impression that only NGC coins were assigned points in the registry, am I wrong or do I have my view Incorrectly set when looking at the registry? I have been trying to see NGC graded sets only.