• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The image is good enough to determine it's counterfeit.

15 posts in this topic

If the sellers story is true so be it, god bless him for his sacrifice. It doesn't meet the diagnostic test, the easiest Morgan to authenticate. Tough to make the call if it's an added S or a cast fake all together.

ebaylink

93sobv_zps5000f491.jpg

It looks fake to me. If it is real its surfaces have been altered to the point where the coin looks like a caricature instead of the real thing. The die work just does not look right.

With this date n mm, all I look at is the position of the 1. As we all know one die was used for the obverse, the 1 is in the wrong spot.

+1

No near dates with this date and MM.

Looks a lot like Vamworlds images of an altered 1883 coin.

Consider: The "seller" had time and resources to collect several quotations about 1893-S dollars, but completely missed basic authenticity. The entire story is another of the "Grandfather Gave it to Me" or "Family Heirloom" genre of lie.

Consider: The "seller" had time and resources to collect several quotations about 1893-S dollars, but completely missed basic authenticity. The entire story is another of the "Grandfather Gave it to Me" or "Family Heirloom" genre of lie.

Yep. Nine out of ten times you hear that, something is amiss. I always roll my eyes when I see that.