• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another PCGS 1893-S to report.

17 posts in this topic

<<I took the coin to a professional coin collector in Clearwater Florida and they only offered me $6900>>

I don't consider myself a professional but I could tell it's counterfeit from an arms length and I have long arms.

<<The seller on ebay is disclosing that this has a potential altered mintmark. Whats up with that?>>

Guess the seller is thinking it's altered but is still collectible, which it's not. I offered $25 to get it off the market and to use as a reference, maybe study it. Weight, dia. thickness, content, etc.

I did not see the listing but was he saying it has a potential altered mint mark but PCGS still graded it?

I don't think that PCGS slab is even a real one either. Look at the fonts and missing symbol/letter comparing to the real one on heritage auction. So it's obviously that the seller copied the certification # on his/her fake PCGS slab.

Ebay

1893-Sebay_zps6a207897.jpg

Heritage Auction

1893-SHA_zps263c2920.jpg

I did not see the listing but was he saying it has a potential altered mint mark but PCGS still graded it?

I don't think that PCGS slab is even a real one either. Look at the fonts and missing symbol/letter comparing to the real one on heritage auction. So it's obviously that the seller copied the certification # on his/her fake PCGS slab.

It's not a given that the seller did it. He might have knowingly or unknowingly purchased it that way.

It's not a given that the seller did it. He might have knowingly or unknowingly purchased it that way.

I agree with Mark. If you read the sellers description, he talks about others looking at his coin and claiming a possible altered mintmark. The seller may have gotten shammed himself and doesn't know it.

Oh right, sorry. I mean its possible that the seller copied the certification number on that fake PCGS slab, or the previous owner did it. Thank you Mark, I didn't thinking twice before I said something.

On the ebay slab (Fake) the few of differences I see,

are the coin and series number are in BOLD type

and there is no space between the :52 and :60

And the denomination is "$1" and should have the "S$1" for Silver.

But this is not true on the current holders as the S is now left off but on older holders the S is there.

Also but without the two pictures to compare, the bar code is all wrong

The HA coin does not have the bold type and does have the space between Series: 52 and Coin: 60, and a S for Silver and a correct bar code.

The reverse looks to be the same.

To his credit, the seller ended the listing after I explained that the coin was a counterfeit and sent him a link to this thread.

I am of the belief that he thought he had a genuine coin and that some unknowledgeable people had been willing to pay real money for it.

Wow! This guy actually has negative eBay feedback. He has a 0 feedback rating but if you look in his feedback profile, he has one feedback in the past 12 months...and it's negative! It says, "Seller felt Paypal was not a safe payment after I payed and refunded the money"